Can I marry my muslim boyfriend

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

hello, I’m really struggling in a situation. I’m so scared for the answers, because I love my boyfriend so much, but here’s my story. I would like to see your opinion about it.

long story short: i do have a relationship with a muslim, since october. I dont know if God allowes us to be with a man who is muslim/ or any other relationship. I love him so much and I dont know what to do. It hurts me that he doesnt believe that Jesus is the Son of God. 

He’s just such a good heart person and I love him and even want to marry him someday, but I just dont know if its allowed. 

My family says its forbidden and that the bible says the same, but the bible says more right?

I hope you can help me and give me advice!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,164
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

if a woman is not a muslim, they should spend some time learning about the Islamic way of life before even dating someone who is muslim.   It is not a real pretty sight.

A Christian woman definitely should not marry a Muslim....   

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

37 minutes ago, helena said:

hello, I’m really struggling in a situation. I’m so scared for the answers, because I love my boyfriend so much, but here’s my story. I would like to see your opinion about it.

long story short: i do have a relationship with a muslim, since october. I dont know if God allowes us to be with a man who is muslim/ or any other relationship. I love him so much and I dont know what to do. It hurts me that he doesnt believe that Jesus is the Son of God. 

He’s just such a good heart person and I love him and even want to marry him someday, but I just dont know if its allowed. 

My family says its forbidden and that the bible says the same, but the bible says more right?

The Muslim and the Christian do not have the same understanding of who God is. You are a born again Christian? Do you love Jesus Christ? Then why would you want to compromise your faith for a Muslim boyfriend? 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

2Co 6:14  Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2Co 6:15  What accord has Christ with Belial (satan)? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

2Co 6:16  What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2Co 6:17  Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

2Co 6:18  and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, helena said:

I'm going to answer this from a practical viewpoint of considering what life will look like for you many years down the line.

I've been married for over 30 years now.  We had both been Christians for a number of years before we got married.  We both come from Christian families with parents (and grandparents) on their first marriages.  We have a similar outlook on life and similar priorities.  We know many Christian couples that have been married for decades as well.  There's not a one of us that would say marriage is easy.  The two main reasons we're all still married are 1) that we all had much more in common than we had differences and 2) we married people of good character and integrity without a lot of red flags about them.  I know many Christians whose marriages have been disasters and often ended up separated or divorced.  Often it is because they ignored many red flags before marrying someone (which has included marrying Christians who really needed to clean up their own act first).  The majority of Christians I know go into marriage with a clearcut sense that it is for life.  However, ignoring red flags often ends up putting one into a very bad situation.     I've seen a lot of marriages over my life, both those that have gone well and those that have not.  My gut instincts are that it is a strong probability that if you continue with this relationship that years from now you will kick yourself for having gotten into it.  

A good friend who's now been a pastor for nearly 40 years gave some good marriage advice in a sermon.  He described marriages as going through three general stages: infatuation, disillusionment, and contentment.   The majority of marriages (and most relationships) start off with both partners infatuated with each other.  You sound like you are fully in the infatuation stage where you cannot image life apart from your boyfriend.  There's a good chance that within the next few years that disillusionment will start to set in.  The burning passion, longing, and infatuation starts to evaporate and one finds oneself stuck with the reality of the other person and they'll probably be feeling the same way.  This happens in pretty much every marriage.  It's in the disillusionment stage that most marriages that are going to end do so.  After disillusionment fully sets in, what keeps a marriage together is commitment, character, and integrity.  Having a common outlook on life, supportive families, supportive friends, and having stable influences in both of your lives is what allows a couple to move to the contentment stage.  You see each other fairly clearly (both pros and cons), you're comfortable together, and you've become partners for life.   I cannot imagine life without my wife right now.  Having said that, there are occasionally some nights we both sleep on opposite sides of the bed as far apart as we can without falling off the edge or one of us heads to the couch.  One of the biggest blessings in my life is my wife's family.  There is no drama.  Get togethers are enjoyable and relaxing.  I cannot imagine what it is like for people where drama and fighting are common place in family relationships.  The infatuation stage will be great for a few years, but then it is about character, how much a couple has in common, and what type of support structure they have around them that helps move them through disillusionment to contentment.  

What do you think life will look like 5 to 10 years from now if you stay in this relationship and get married?  He and his family and friends are likely to consider your children as Muslims and view them as belonging primarily to him rather than you.  Will he expect you to eat halal food?  Dress appropriately?  Observe Ramadan and other things?  How will his family and friends treat you as a non-muslim?  Will there be pressure for you to convert?   I don't know what country you are in, or where he and his family might be from.  You may face some nasty political and custody situations down the line if something starts falling apart in the relationship.  You will very likely come directly face to face with what Muslims really think of Christians.  Will your Muslim husband stand up for you as a Christian?  or will he start to expect you to convert?    I know a pastor from Nigeria (where there is much Muslim on Christian violence occurring).  His comment about Muslims was this:  they are honest friendly good people, but you never know when they will show up with torches and machetes in the middle of the night to kill you because some imam or cleric told them to because you are an infidel.   I'm NOT saying your boyfriend would do this.  However, if you continue in this relationship, you (and potentially your children) will likely come to face to face with the dark side of Islam that sees you as an infidel that needs to be converted and that your children might need to be protected from you.

I can tell you with near certainty that the infatuation and deep longing you feel right now will evaporate and change over time.  Without that, would you really have anything in common with your boyfriend that would draw you to him?  If you continue with this relationship, you've got a good shot at having a few years of infatuation and good times.  However at some point (likely within the next 3 to 5 years), the reality of who you both really are and want from life will start to determine the quality of the relationship and your life (and potentially your children's lives).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Thanks Gandalf, for taking the time in writing out in detail, the potential disaster this relationship could end up like. Although no absolutes here, a good deal of the things described are very likely. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

If I may add to gandalfs sage advice ...

My brother who is not a Christian married a muslim woman. His marriage has been a disaster and is now ended. There is a lot of terrible baggage from his relationship with his adult kids due to the islamic influence of his ex wife and her family. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Think of future children.  Is he going to allow them to attend Christian churches and profess Christianity?  I know quite a few Muslims and yes, the ones I know are good and kind and funny and friendly. [I pray for them regularly.]

But when it come to their faith - they are NOT leaving it.  And their children are indoctrinated in their faith from the beginning.  

It's going to hurt like crazy - but you MUST break this off.  Unless he [and I might add his parents] do convert, there is a strong likelihood of future sorrow for you. Sorrow that will hurt a hundredfold more than it does now.]

The same would be said if he were an atheist, Buddhist, Mormon, Hindi, or anything else opposed to Christianity.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, helena said:

. I’m so scared for the answers, because I love my boyfriend so much,

i do have a relationship with a muslim, since october. I love him so much and I dont know what to do. It hurts me that he doesnt believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

You have known this man since Oct and it is now May, that is 6 months. That is not enough time to know whether anyone is worth marrying.

May I make two suggestions.

1. bring him to church with you.

2. discuss how, where you will live and how will your children be brought up, as Christians attending church as a family each week or as muslims attending the mosque each week.

Which of those last two options do you want?

A general comment. Anyone you date, you should be inviting to attend church, if they won't that relationship is ending.