IGNORED

Sunday church attendance

I used to go without fail. Then illness meant i stopped for several weeks.

Instead i read my bible daily, pray and do my own study and prayer. I make time for it and treasure it. 

Now i find myself asking, do i really want or need to go to church on Sundays? I found people there irritating and tedious. I was always rushing to get there, being roped in for various duties and being ignored and sidelined for other roles that i would have loved. The pastor was a pompous man, not inspiring, just did his job. I sat next to people who fidgeted, were ignorant and closed minded about God's Word. They chatted as if it was a social club. I was growing fast as a passionate Christian but getting little support. I enjoyed the hymns best and preaching kind of. I never felt the pastor truly spoke it from the heart. 

Now i think - who needs it? I don't. How was all that bringing me nearer to God?  I prefer to have a leisurely get up on a sunday. Pray. Read Bible in the bathroom while my bath runs. Pray as i bathe - why not? Prepare a nice early roast and be all relaxed listening to hymns or watching 'Songs of Praise' later instead of a rushed mad thing! Enjoy my Sabbath. 

So, my motivation to attend church has gone. I intend only to go for special occasions. Am i wrong? Is it God's command to collectively worship? Or is that just a personal choice? 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

God's Word says to meet regularly with other people who are ALIVE IN CHRIST JESUS - FAITHFUL AND TRUE !

This does not mean most churches on earth.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Melinda, there are a lot of people voicing those same complaints but let me respond to your last question. 

Heb 10:24  And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,
Heb 10:25  not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

You list so many complaints about your worship experience that it appears you list those to justify your reasons (excuses) for not going.  If there are that many things going on that prevent a meaningful worship time, then you need to find a Biblically based church where you can be spiritually fed.

Talk with your Christian friends and see what they say about the church they attend.

God bless you in these efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

7 minutes ago, watchman said:

You list so many complaints about your worship experience that it appears you list those to justify your reasons (excuses) for not going.  If there are that many things going on that prevent a meaningful worship time, then you need to find a Biblically based church where you can be spiritually fed.

Given the content of your post Melinda, have you ever considered a serious search for a more edifying place to worship? Not all churches such as the one you're presently attending, has such a poor choice of clergy and ill mannered members. Just a thought in agreement to watchman. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

Instead i read my bible daily, pray and do my own study and prayer. I make time for it and treasure it. 

Now i find myself asking, do i really want or need to go to church on Sundays? I found people there irritating and tedious. I was always rushing to get there, being roped in for various duties and being ignored and sidelined for other roles that i would have loved. The pastor was a pompous man, not inspiring, just did his job. I sat next to people who fidgeted, were ignorant and closed minded about God's Word. They chatted as if it was a social club. I was growing fast as a passionate Christian but getting little support. I enjoyed the hymns best and preaching kind of. I never felt the pastor truly spoke it from the heart. 

Now i think - who needs it? I don't. How was all that bringing me nearer to God?  I prefer to have a leisurely get up on a sunday. Pray. Read Bible in the bathroom while my bath runs. Pray as i bathe - why not? Prepare a nice early roast and be all relaxed listening to hymns or watching 'Songs of Praise' later instead of a rushed mad thing! Enjoy my Sabbath. 

So, my motivation to attend church has gone. I intend only to go for special occasions. Am i wrong? Is it God's command to collectively worship? Or is that just a personal choice? 

Hi Melinda,

The format of the public meeting run by religious organisations, has only been around for a few centuries. There are other ways to come together with believers. Do you have Christian friends? You can meet with them to share of your lives, read God`s word, pray, etc. That is what my friends and hubby and I do here in Aussie. We also mix with friends who do go to public meetings.

Calling the public meeting `church` has done a lot of damage over the years for it makes people think that that really it is the (only) church, (expression) when in fact it is only ONE way for the believers to gather. People would say, "You are backslidden," if you didn`t go each week and people would feel emotionally pressured to go, as if that then put you in God`s good books. All subtle and not so subtle control by a few in power.

So....enjoy your leisurely Sunday morning with the Lord and also get together with other believes, (in 2`s or 3`s etc) and encourage each other in the Lord.

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I prefer to have a leisurely get up on a sunday. Pray. Read Bible in the bathroom while my bath runs. Pray as i bathe - why not?

I cringed when I read that you "pray as you bathe" because I would at least hope that the God you serve should be held in REVERENCE.

With the love of Christ,
God bless!

• Oy Vey! 4

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

29 minutes ago, Footprint said:

I cringed when I read that you "pray as you bathe" because I would at least hope that the God you serve should be held in REVERENCE.

With the love of Christ,
God bless!

Hi Footprint,

I understand what you are saying, however we are to give thanks always, and pray without ceasing, so there are times of spontaneous expressions to the Lord wherever we are, and then times of specific reverence.

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

3 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Footprint,

I understand what you are saying, however we are to give thanks always, and pray without ceasing, so there are times of spontaneous expressions to the Lord wherever we are, and then times of specific reverence.

Marilyn.

I'm sorry but neither of those times include "pray as you bathe."

God bless!

• Oy Vey! 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

17 minutes ago, Footprint said:

C'mon... :foot-stomp:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Perhaps you could find a Church where you are more comfortable. I am not saying that will happen. I also had problems with Church attendance. I loved the sermons of the Pastor but the fellowship was not comfortable for me . They tape the sermons so I found that I could go online and listen to the sermons. It is not a salvation issue to attend Church. You can not confine God to four walls. 

• Brilliant! 1