IGNORED

anxiety and struggling with reading the bible...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

So I've struggle with anxiety all my life. I always have to have distractions so I won't get to tangled in my own mind and thoughts-- Like having my computer up and phone going at the same time. Id really appreciate if there's a Christian youtuber you guys could recommend that struggles with mental illness and still manages to do things like read and pray so I can use them as a guide and inspiration...

Like tonight I wanted to read but my mind felt blank and then idk I had a bit of scrupulosity hit me... so I just couldn't read really.  

Id really love to trust God and lay things like anxiety and fear at his feet but I'm not sure where to start

I really find when my mind is plagued by anxiety I pray more easily than read. 

Other members that struggle with mental illness, how do you manage to read the bible in the height of your illness? 

Thanks for all the replies.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

4 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

So I've struggle with anxiety all my life. I always have to have distractions so I won't get to tangled in my own mind and thoughts-- Like having my computer up and phone going at the same time. Id really appreciate if there's a Christian youtuber you guys could recommend that struggles with mental illness and still manages to do things like read and pray so I can use them as a guide and inspiration...

Like tonight I wanted to read but my mind felt blank and then idk I had a bit of scrupulosity hit me... so I just couldn't read really.  

Id really love to trust God and lay things like anxiety and fear at his feet but I'm not sure where to start

I really find when my mind is plagued by anxiety I pray more easily than read. 

Other members that struggle with mental illness, how do you manage to read the bible in the height of your illness? 

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok. 

Please, don't label yourself mentally ill. That's much too severe in most cases. A HUGE part of the world population struggles with anxiety and depression, especially in developed countries. But, they just don't say much, seek treatment, admit it, even too themselves. Many, untold millions treat it with alcohol. So , please, unless you are very severe, don't put yourself in that little tiny box. 

I've fought depression with some anxiety for 30 years. But lived a fairly normal life. My dad did with the predominant anxiety.

Second, depression can kill any concentration, or follow through, or follow up. It can make it tough to read, and I'm a huge reader. 

If reading the word scares you I would suggest listening to tape, it's easier and less, " In my own head." 

Or, listening with others, at church or study group. Less in your own head. 

I can't help with a YouTuber but I guarantee you there are people like you in almost every field of endeavor. 

Chin up. Trust Jesus. Pray. Read one verse, put it down, go outside and walk. Walk a mile. Then, read one more, if you can go walk. 

Outdoors is a GREAT distraction. Not getting hit by a car is a great distraction. 

Contact me if you want through this sites methods. 

• Loved it! 4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

50 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

@Figure of eighty I can relate to this. I don't like my overactive mind running wild because that tends to lead to anxiety. For me-I am a person who has to sleep to sound. Quiet actually keeps me awake. lol. One thing I do is listen to the Bible. It eventually relaxes me and I nod off. Also, soothing Christian music. Scripture songs are ideal because this is another way to get the word of God down inside you. And it's very enjoyable. :) God bless you. You are in my prayers.

This is a fantastic idea! Listening to the Bible to get yourself to sleep. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I wish I could be of more help. By the Grace of God I was spared what you are experiencing; however my Dad and brother were not. Both my Dad and brother went through and experienced what you are going through. I remember years afterward being told my Dad once tried to commit suicide. Not many years ago, my brother was successful shooting himself in the heart. I can't even imagine what the Apostle Paul endured for the Lord? Something was particularly painful and grieving Paul so much; that he prayed to the Lord 'three' times to have it removed. The Lord always answers a Christian's prayer, either yes, no or wait. The Lord's answer to Paul was:

2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV) And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

The Lord has a plan and purpose for each of our lives, most of the time we can't understand the "why's" of His plan and purposes; but everything works for His Glory and purpose. I keep in the back of my mind a couple of God's promises in my current circumstances and trials.

Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. [emphasis mine]

Proverbs 3:5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I wish I could be of more help. By the Grace of God I was spared what you are experiencing; however my Dad and brother were not. Both my Dad and brother went through and experienced what you are going through. I remember years afterward being told my Dad once tried to commit suicide. Not many years ago, my brother was successful shooting himself in the heart. I can't even imagine what the Apostle Paul endured for the Lord? Something was particularly painful and grieving Paul so much; that he prayed to the Lord 'three' times to have it removed. The Lord always answers a Christian's prayer, either yes, no or wait. The Lord's answer to Paul was:

2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV) And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

The Lord has a plan and purpose for each of our lives, most of the time we can't understand the "why's" of His plan and purposes; but everything works for His Glory and purpose. I keep in the back of my mind a couple of God's promises in my current circumstances and trials.

Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. [emphasis mine]

Proverbs 3:5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

I'm glad you were spared anxiety is such a horrid thing. Mental illness is in general, its so misunderstood and those that deal with it often keep it under wraps for fear of judgement. Despite dealing with anxiety, God has been kind to me and spared me from other things but my anxious state of mind remains. I find sometimes waking from sleep and reading instantly helps while my mind is hazy and I'm not bombarded by the thoughts just yet actually works a bit. I'm so sorry for your brother, I hate he lost his battle..how's your dad doing?  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, PeteBlaxton said:

Ok. 

Please, don't label yourself mentally ill. That's much too severe in most cases. A HUGE part of the world population struggles with anxiety and depression, especially in developed countries. But, they just don't say much, seek treatment, admit it, even too themselves. Many, untold millions treat it with alcohol. So , please, unless you are very severe, don't put yourself in that little tiny box. 

I've fought depression with some anxiety for 30 years. But lived a fairly normal life. My dad did with the predominant anxiety.

Second, depression can kill any concentration, or follow through, or follow up. It can make it tough to read, and I'm a huge reader. 

If reading the word scares you I would suggest listening to tape, it's easier and less, " In my own head." 

Or, listening with others, at church or study group. Less in your own head. 

I can't help with a YouTuber but I guarantee you there are people like you in almost every field of endeavor. 

Chin up. Trust Jesus. Pray. Read one verse, put it down, go outside and walk. Walk a mile. Then, read one more, if you can go walk. 

Outdoors is a GREAT distraction. Not getting hit by a car is a great distraction. 

Contact me if you want through this sites methods. 

Yeah, I don't want to label it as mental illness but honestly it is. I remember years ago I kind of went back and forth with my aunt saying anxiety wasn't because it wasn't sever as schizophrenia but anxiety can get that severe. It can keep you housebound and on edge 24/7. But I kinda came around when I realized just being like this being on edge everyday isn't normal... also panicking when I'm alone isn't either. But I agree anxiety can be managed, I do try to step outside my box and push through it most days/times.. I'm definitely determined not to be bound by it.

But I agree with you saying read one verse at a time. I find when I'm in my car I can listen to the bible or a sermon because my body and mind is preoccupied so it allows the word to kind of sneak in if you will. lol. 

Thanks for your help and advice :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

I'm glad you were spared anxiety is such a horrid thing. Mental illness is in general, its so misunderstood and those that deal with it often keep it under wraps for fear of judgement. Despite dealing with anxiety, God has been kind to me and spared me from other things but my anxious state of mind remains. I find sometimes waking from sleep and reading instantly helps while my mind is hazy and I'm not bombarded by the thoughts just yet actually works a bit. I'm so sorry for your brother, I hate he lost his battle..how's your dad doing?  

I don't understand it all, but I've seen how anxiety, depression and mental health and other issues can become intertwined. The Lord is the Great Healer and nothing escapes His attention. Having not experienced it, I can't 100% relate to it or suggest much; other than the obvious, if it's for the Lord's will and purpose. Speaking of myself only, knowing and saying things are different from putting them in practice with faith and trust. I try to remind myself, I put my faith and trust in the Lord Jesus and He will perform everything He says He will do pertaining to my soul and spirit when I die. I strive to remember the exact same thing applies in my flesh with my circumstances, health and trials, of which I often come up short and question, why, why me, why now? I need to strive like the Apostle Paul, and be glad and glory in my infirmities. A difficult thing to accomplish for me. 

• Loved it! 1