Tigger56

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

We shouldn't cause the weaker brethren to stumble, obviously. But there are limits, especially in public, to walk in our liberties without causing  others to judge.
I also might have a beer at home in my shop or patio after work, with my wife.  To purchase it requires entering the public. I am always aware of being 'caught',
but only by those who are looking to judge. It would be wrong for me to then judge them for judging me, and be guilty of the same judgement. 

Why is it we only discuss the popular taboos?
I have to constantly be on guard in my thoughts when I see so many in church so over weight.
I have heard so many sermons from preachers, (one an easy hundred lbs over weight), that it has become a mantra:

"We don't drink, dance, smoke or chew,
and don't hang out with those who do"

Sitting in the pew, hearing this while everybody laughs, knowing that they all know I was a smoker (back then), was no fun.
I felt alone, surrounded by hundreds. My friends.
Point being, how many of those so overweight people in church I know, men and women, brothers and sisters,
are also going through dire straights, fighting an unsuccessful battle to quit the compulsive eating?
So  I'm reminded of this saying

"Be kind, everybody is fighting a battle,
     that we know nothing about"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

Fortunately, I was awakened in time to smell the coffee. For those of you that will complain coffee has caffeine and is a drug. I was awakened in time to smell the caffeine free coffee. For those of you who can't stand coffee; I was awakened in time not to miss the boat  :D

1 Corinthians 6:10 (KJV) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

• Haha 1

Another thought occurred to me just thinking about it in secular terms about booze.

1. You always lose with Mr. Booze.

2. People that don't drink; when they get up in the morning, that's the best they are going to feel all day!

3. Honest officer, I only had "two" beers.

But seriously, I've heard many times from knowledgeable sources, marijuana is a gateway drug to harder drugs. I would assume 'some' starting out drinking a beer will graduate to harder liquor with unintended consequences. Not even speaking spiritually, I wonder just how many lives have been ruined from the use of alcohol? With the time is just took me to type this, someone here in the US was killed or critically injured in a car crash with alcohol involved. 

Like stated by someone above, the infrequent limited use of alcohol may not be a sin, but the excessive use of it is. With Mr. Booze (a.k.a. the devil) there's always that temptation, oh just have one more, what's it going to hurt, I can handle it...

Been there done that. 

Edited by Dennis1209

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

To be honest, I nearly got hooked on Bud lights. This is as a Christian. They taste so good with my food, that I found myself drinking way more than I should have. It’s best for me to personally avoid them because I could see myself going too far. Those things were super delicious.

7 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

What an awesome miracle! Thanks for sharing that.

I agree you should avoid the appearance of evil, but purchasing a pack of beer at a grocery store during the day should not qualify for that. I suppose I could dress in dark coat and hat and go late at night, peering over my shoulder to see if anyone saw me and with trembling hand and bated breath quickly race to the cashier praying that no one judges me and is offended (but what if the cashier if offended... man, I'm in trouble no matter what!:whistling:

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not judging, been there and done that. By no means am I going to cast the first stone.

Basically I was using myself as a witness to what the power of Lord did for me. And how it changed my life, view, perceptions and how I want to reflect myself as His ambassador and my walk with Him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Sower said:

I'm a Cristian, and go to a Baptist church.

There's a little saying about this subject.

Catholics go in the front door of a liquor store.
Baptist use the back door...........
default_cool2.gif.bde4ce0cdbb11d4718a056f88b0700e9.gif

Heh. Exactly. :)

The reason I quit attending the baptist church here is that I would have been a point of contention, which is not what we are instructed to be. So we had to leave, or it would have gotten ugly. No point. They seemed happy in their perspective.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

35 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Heh. Exactly. :)

The reason I quit attending the baptist church here is that I would have been a point of contention, which is not what we are instructed to be. So we had to leave, or it would have gotten ugly. No point. They seemed happy in their perspective.

Everybody knew I smoked, I was working on site building and grounds chairman.
Most knew I would drink a beer.
With very few exceptions, it never was an issue.
I still tell a seeker I'm witnessing to, who may decide to seek a church, to go to a small Baptist church.
They use the bible sola, and no matter what event, they will always present the gospel message at the end.
Later, if they decide, to find a bible based evangelical church.
We were fortunate to have found our first church, to be our last and only church. Our family was saved there.
That is my best recommendation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

How much is too much?

For healthy adults in general, drinking more than these single-day or weekly limits is considered "at-risk" or "heavy" drinking: Men: More than 4 drinks on any day or 14 per week. Women: More than 3 drinks on any day or 7 per week.

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

I think if you are going to advertise your faith and wear something with Christ’s name on it, you should be on your best behavior while doing so.  That’s not to say that drinking is immoral, but it can be viewed as worldly to some. 

I grew up in a Baptist Church but I don’t remember any teachings about alcohol. My mother didn’t drink, smoke or do anything potentially addictive, so I just followed her lead. 

I don’t drink at all and neither does my husband. I’m teaching my kids that I think it’s better to stay away from it. But I don’t tell them it’s immoral or a sin. Whatever Christ drank, He could handle it. Some of us flawed human beings cannot. ?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

How much is too much?

For healthy adults in general, drinking more than these single-day or weekly limits is considered "at-risk" or "heavy" drinking: Men: More than 4 drinks on any day or 14 per week. Women: More than 3 drinks on any day or 7 per week.

At risk of what? ??? Emptying one's wallet? Not making the mortgage payment? 14 drinks a week at $8.50 a pop in a "social setting" is a lot of money per week for most working people.

I do believe it is not the number of drinks, but instead ounces of alcohol that the liver can process that  counts and puts a person at risk for serious social costs for being drunk in public, drunk driving, etc. Constant demand upon the liver at any pace deteriorates the liver causing it to  harden to a narrow non functioning crusty white sliver called cirrhosis of the liver and fail. Death results. The liver is limited to processing .25 of a fluid  ounce per hour. Anything more remains in the blood vascular system  until the liver can catch up and the alcohol starts to destroy other organs, brain cells, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2