• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

In the UK there is a legal requirement for the Church of England to permit people to marry in a church in their own parish. They cannot say no, unless its a same sex marriage or a divorce person whose ex is still living. 

Wow, that's extremely restrictive. People run off to Vegas, and get married in 'quickies' all the time here. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

6 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

The brides are quite open about their reasons : )

Here as well. There are moronic television shows on this very topic. 

To me, non Christians just use the church. At it's root why? Why is it so important for two people who do not believe in God, Christ or the Bible, to have their marriage sanctified before the very God they don't believe exists?  

Why does the church allow this hypocrisy? I see such couples being forced to come to church for a period of weeks. They understand nor care about any of it. After the wedding you don't see them for dust.

Just wondering. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

It's almost mockery, or perhaps wishful thinking. People dream of a perfect life, where they only get married once and forever, have a nice house with a picket fence, two kids and a dog... But life is hardly so perfect. Basically, it's like they want to appear Christian without having to be a Christian. "I am a good person" or "There's nothing wrong with me". 

As other posters have said, it's because it's "traditional" and a number of churches may see it as a means of preaching the gospel. I really don't think it would be effective, cause a non-believer wedding almost seems to be an egotistical peacocking. Nobody is going to listen to the gospel when they're too absorbed in trying to appear perfect going, "ME ME ME". That, and it's not uncommon for speakers to quote scripture at the wedding, such as 1 Corinthians. They speak the words, but don't understand or practice them.

Speaking of which, there's an increase in the number of people who DON'T want a church wedding. People getting married in the park, or at Applebee's, or some dank and dark alleyway. Let's not forget the mockery with which there are "other" forms of marriage. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Why do people who do not believe in God, still want and are granted, a church wedding? 

Did you ask them?  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

To me, non Christians just use the church. At it's root why? Why is it so important for two people who do not believe in God, Christ or the Bible, to have their marriage sanctified before the very God they don't believe exists?  

Why does the church allow this hypocrisy? I see such couples being forced to come to church for a period of weeks. They understand nor care about any of it. After the wedding you don't see them for dust.

Just wondering. 

Getting married in a physical church building is just a man-made tradition.  So are the other trappings of church weddings: the white dress, the candles, the soloist, the organ music, the vows, and flowers.

People who are not believers sometimes are looking for the best venue and one that is attractive and will make for good wedding photos.  Some church building are beautiful.

In America, there are people who believe that the wedding MUST take place in a church before a preacher for God to OK it.

That's ridiculous, of course, but that's how much man-made tradition becomes doctrine.