IGNORED

Does Everyone Here Take The Adam And Eve Story Literally?

ReneeIW

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Yes, that's the answer I was looking for. These are the basics of salvation as they are understood. 

Indeed, we are on the same page concerning this. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. 

Sure. I can also understand this is your personal interpretation. Some women I've met believe the first created woman was Lilith. This is a Jewish pagan belief, and I know you've not mentioned her. You did mention not knowing whether the first created man even had a name, if correctly recalled. You are the first Christian I've met here who does not believe according to the way the word of God has been translated. It's okay. 

Lilith (/ ˈ l ɪ l ɪ θ / ; Hebrew : לִילִית Lîlîṯ) is a figure in Jewish mythology, developed earliest in the Babylonian Talmud (3rd to 5th century CE). Lilith is often envisioned as a dangerous demon of the night, who is sexually wanton, and who steals babies in the darkness.

Joe, allow me the opportunity to personally apologize to you for any misunderstandings between us. If I came off as snarky or rude in any responses to or about you, I'm truly sorry for that. Thanks, and God bless you. 

Thank you for your apology. It is gratefully received. My view of your personality changed over the course of our conversation. It's difficult to communicate properly through text alone.

I've never looked into lilith too much though I have read the name. 

I am happy with our translations of our bibles. It's about as good as you could ask for really all things considered. I consider some scripture to be formed in such a way that it means different things to humanity at different times and indeed to different individuals at different times in their lives. That's what makes it a truly living word. I think this story of Adam and Eve was intended to be read ans was read differently up until a point in human history.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

3 hours ago, joebloggs said:

Thank you for your apology. It is gratefully received. My view of your personality changed over the course of our conversation. It's difficult to communicate properly through text alone.

Thanks, Joe. That's very gracious of you brother, and I really do appreciate it. 

I've never looked into lilith too much though I have read the name. 

I hadn't either until the women's rights movement started conducting Lilith Faires on a global level. 

I am happy with our translations of our bibles. It's about as good as you could ask for really all things considered.

I am too by majority. A few I don't prefer to use, but most are fine by me. Thanks for responding. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

2 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

I am too by majority. A few I don't prefer to use, but most are fine by me. Thanks for responding. 

My preferred choice is the NIV but I'm happy with kjv etc, I'm not so keen on the new living translation I think it was, it seemed to change the wording too much.

I read generally with in my niv but I use a site called blue letter bible org to flip between versions and do original text word studies. You can hear the greek and Hebrew words if you click the right button on there which is nice.

1 hour ago, joebloggs said:

My preferred choice is the NIV but I'm happy with kjv etc, I'm not so keen on the new living translation I think it was, it seemed to change the wording too much.

The Living Bible has some problems, but it did help me with the basics when first beginning an earnest study. Once it was read through, I had some basic understanding and went to other translations/interpretations. And The Amplified Bible is too wordy for me as well. Some really enjoy it, but the expounding of excessive phrases are almost disruptive. To each their own. Whatever is personally effective works, I suppose.   

1 hour ago, joebloggs said:

I read generally with in my niv but I use a site called blue letter bible org to flip between versions and do original text word studies. You can hear the greek and Hebrew words if you click the right button on there which is nice.

1023933771_thumbsupsmiley.gif.21b58d3dde333e128bce1511803d8977.gif

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

I do accept Genesis creation account as literal, and the account of a universal flood too.  I think that creation science is catching up with evolution science, especially in the field of genetics, though physics and geology are not far behind.  When I read that giant bones of dinosaurs were recently found with bone marrow tissue still pliable and DNA able to be analyzed.  Wow!  Anyone wanting my list can PM me.  Most are from creation.com ministry.  Can't say I like all their speakers, but some are stellar. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,220
  • Content Per Day:  1.23

I accept sola scriptura as it is written, so yes I accept as correct what is written in Gods Word.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Adam and Eve were definitely made by God in the beginning!
And our triune God viewed them as the first male and female couple.

Genesis 1:26-28  And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.  (27)  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.  (28)  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Jesus Christ who was their Creator, also mentions them here. And take note!
With our gender confused generation, Jesus Christ still sees the only valid married couple as a male and a female!  :)

Matthew 19:4-5  And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, (5) And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.41

On 9/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, ReneeIW said:

Just wondering if all Churches still teach that the Scriptures about Adam and Eve were meant to be taken literally?

I've always taken them literally, but now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I'm the only one. All the evil and destruction in the world happened because they ate a piece of fruit? Why not guard the tree of the knowledge of  good and evil with a flaming sword the same way the tree of life was eventually guarded?

Yes they disobeyed God, but did the punishment fit the crime? The Old Testmant spends a lot of time talking about how just/fair God is, and more importantly, how merciful He is. Why no mercy in the Garden if all they did was eat a piece of fruit?

To answer your question, Yes I believe in the literal interpretation of the Genesis account. The answer to your question is free will. 

Think about this, if you create a Robot and all it does is do as you say, Is there life there? But if that creation is given the free will to choose to do the right thing, and chooses to do the right thing, then that person is alive and serving the Lord in righteousness. The First Adam brought in the natural, and with it death and sin, the second Adam brings us the Life in the Spirit and enables us the freedom to produce the fruit of the Spirit in righteousness, not in fear of penalty of death. So as you can see, fruit is involved in the "new creation" in Christ Jesus as well. This is what the sanctifying work of the Holy Ghost enables us to do.

God Bless. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Impossible to speak to "all Churches". They could have and just not taught it in months or years. Its clear we don't get to know everything that happen before during after. We get only what we need in this life. After we will know it. One would have to speculate on many things regrading much of this. Like what God knew Satan came in.. He allowed it..He didn't know. Asking Adam and Eve questions He already knew? Where are you, did you eat of the tree I told you not to, who told you.  What I know is He had a plan before all this.  

Everything we see in this realm is ALL held together by Him for us. And everything He makes does if always alive.. life.