• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

On 9/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, JTC said:

Friend, I was born again some 40 yrs ago. If you expect sins to just vanish with no effort from you, you're dreaming. I had 1 but only 1 sin vanish the day I was saved. I thank God for that. Now understand that if we aren't born again we will never overcome sins. So perhaps there's some miscommunication here. In my 40 yrs experience I've known anyone who gave up most of their sins without some effort. But I once knew of several people who made that claim, haven't seen them since.

We have to make some effort even if it's just the will & desire to not commit that particular sin.

Some people are so preoccupied with the sin in their lives, One might think they thought that their Salvation depended on it!  Being “ sin” conscious as opposed to being “ SON” conscious......

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 9/26/2019 at 4:59 AM, JTC said:

Oh boy, I was born into quite a few. This is a problem we all have. I'm posting this because with God's help most are gone. Although some are a constant battle.

1.  Gluttony, my family (and extended family) saw nothing wrong with eating until our bellies hurt. No wonder we were almost all extremely obese. The odd thing is they were all Catholics and Catholicism sees Gluttony as 1 of the deadly sins. I went on my first diet at 15 bc I wanted a girlfriend. I got a gf probably the best one I ever had. But we were too young & I was way too dumb. But I'm happy to say I'm still friends with her. She was saved before me. She constantly preached the Lord to me even though I wouldn't believe her. However, I finally did.

2. The Love of Money. To want constant things. Girls usually want clothes & shoes, while boys want toys. Those toys grow as we do. They become more expensive & sophisticated. Today a smartphone can be a toy. Granted, we all need a phone since they removed every pay phone, but $1,000 for an Iphone. No way. Again, I was lucky bc I started seeing the futility in possessions at 15. And I never loved possessing money for the sake of money bc I watched my parents become miserable over it. Once I found the Lord I knew this had to go. Today I won't buy anything unless I need it to sustain my life. Additionally, I give to charities & God's work, as I am able. Praise be to the Lord.

3. Thou Shalt Criticize Thy Neighbor (not) especially when it's something you do as well. Ever hear someone tear apart someone else for doing what he himself does? I was born into a family that made a sport of doing this. They did it to each other and every stranger they knew. It's a terrible personality characteristic and it's also a sin. This is virtually dead in me now, but occasionally it tries to come back.

4. An Elitist Attitude. This is closely related to #3 and it's also a sin. In the Bible we are told, when you're invited to a dinner do not take the best seat, take a lesser seat. Why? Feeling elitist is being smug, conceited, puffed up. God doesn't like this. I want to be pleasing to God. It's rough when you're taught this as a child. I killed this one, I do believe it's gone.

This list is hardly complete, as I think of more I may add it it. Ever since I decided to walk with God I've become aware of sins I was taught to have. May God help me.

I understand what your saying here. These can be sinful attributes, and have befallen many. What you've listed were no doubt part of how your family are, and as children often times we pick up on unfortunate characteristics and habitual ways of being. This by no means puts us under a curse necessarily, as Jesus breaks our sins and put things behind us. We can still suffer back-lashes from the past however, and a lot of things can't be totally discounted. The Lord does empower us to go forward. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

4 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

This by no means puts us under a curse

Who said anything about a curse, not me. Like you Beaujangles, I'm closer to the end of this journey than to the beginning or even the middle. I've reached the point where salvation was 40 yrs ago and now I want to be really pleasing in God's sight. I am convinced we can't do that with an excess of sins. And that's what this is all about. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way, we even have a few members who agree with me. Away from Worthy, many people agree especially some of the older preachers. Charles Stanley & David Jeremiah both taught on this last Sunday. There is much to be gained in living a holy life. :royalty:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, JTC said:

Who said anything about a curse, not me.

Ohh... I was under the mistaken idea this topic was referring to generational inherent things. The list of problems in your family led me to take it as such. Sorry bro. Carry on and God bless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,991
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Ohh... I was under the mistaken idea this topic was referring to generational inherent things. The list of problems in your family led me to take it as such. Sorry bro. Carry on and God bless. 

Generational Curses are something that need to be addressed in some people's lives.

Ezekiel 20:18 (KJV)
But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk you not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols:

Historically there has been widespread ministry in this area by itinerant evangelists in NZ, something like the "great door and effectual" that was opened to Paul in Ephesus. 

1Corinthians16:9 (KJV)
For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.

7 hours ago, JTC said:

Hey wow, that sure does describe me to a T.

BB, you have totally missed any of the points of this thread. Kinda went right over your head, I see. Okay you don't get it, we all know that.

Ciao  

Duh........it hurts to know I am not your intellectual equal....try to be patient with me...I don’t know everything, but I know this—I don’t worry about something that was taken care of 2000 years ago...ALL of my sins are on the Cross and I am smart enough to leave them there,just like God does ......why do you keep trying to keep pull them off ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, JTC said:

Hey wow, that sure does describe me to a T.

BB, you have totally missed any of the points of this thread. Kinda went right over your head, I see. Okay you don't get it, we all know that.

Ciao  

Please refrain from debating the person and simply the subject going forward. Comments like this are why we have to close threads and/or remove people from them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

6 hours ago, PromisesPromises! said:

Just the other day, I was rude to someone.  I didn't even realize it until she pointed it out.  Now, I am not usually a rude person, and one might think it's not too awful of a sin; but it IS.  Rudeness violates the second greatest commmandment.  I asked her to forgive me.  I also asked my Father to search me and get rid of all the nasty rudeness in me--and I know He ALREADY HAS because I am in Christ;  but I will pay closer attention to how I am treating people, too, because I WANT to do a better job of loving others as I love myself. 

Amen, Promises!   Too often people can dwell so much on the sins of the flesh, that they forget the importance of the Fruits of the Spirit in our lives.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

12 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

it hurts to know I am not your intellectual equal....try to be patient with me

I'm not saying you aren't my intellectual equal. You may understand nuclear physics or how to use calculus and I don't. You may be an expert in biology while all I know is we are made up of cells that have nucleus and I know we have several different kinds of cells. That's all I know but you may know a great deal. I know there is inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry but don't ask me for they differ. Maybe you can write a book on this, I can't.

17 hours ago, PromisesPromises! said:

Hi JTC... a good and really important topic.  Many people, IMO, try to overcome their sins BEFORE inviting Jesus into their hearts.  Satan plants the idea in their minds that they're not good enough to live a Christian life.  So many just give up and drift further and further away from the One who is calling them until they don't hear Him anymore.  Too sad....I'm glad you didn't do that.  I'm glad I didn't do that!  I get what you're saying

Thank you PromisesPromises. You do get what I'm saying and it's delightful! I first noticed the advanced scriptures when I was a baby Christian but they seemed impossible to do back then. To make matters worse people who were saved longer than me told me these teachings were unnecessary. That didn't make sense to me, back then, but since giving up any sin was hard I went along with the poor teachings. But I was an avid reader and I kept reading books & booklets that said the Christian life was about eliminating sins. 

It was not about salvation. We're already saved. And since we all sin occasionally we thank God He forgives us. But I noticed after 20 to 30 yrs a Christian that does as he pleases is defeated Christian. The Christians that had frequent answers to prayer were the Christians that went out of their way to not sin and obey God as much as possible. This is what I want.

11 hours ago, Steve_S said:

Please refrain from debating the person and simply the subject going forward. Comments like this are why we have to close threads and/or remove people from them.

BB1953, please don't make this thread get closed. If you a have serious question send me pm. I'll answer you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

4 hours ago, JTC said:

I'm not saying you aren't my intellectual equal. You may understand nuclear physics or how to use calculus and I don't. You may be an expert in biology while all I know is we are made up of cells that have nucleus and I know we have several different kinds of cells. That's all I know but you may know a great deal. I know there is inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry but don't ask me for they differ. Maybe you can write a book on this, I can't.

Thank you PromisesPromises. You do get what I'm saying and it's delightful! I first noticed the advanced scriptures when I was a baby Christian but they seemed impossible to do back then. To make matters worse people who were saved longer than me told me these teachings were unnecessary. That didn't make sense to me, back then, but since giving up any sin was hard I went along with the poor teachings. But I was an avid reader and I kept reading books & booklets that said the Christian life was about eliminating sins. 

It was not about salvation. We're already saved. And since we all sin occasionally we thank God He forgives us. But I noticed after 20 to 30 yrs a Christian that does as he pleases is defeated Christian. The Christians that had frequent answers to prayer were the Christians that went out of their way to not sin and obey God as much as possible. This is what I want.

BB1953, please don't make this thread get closed. If you a have serious question send me pm. I'll answer you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

It was not about salvation. We're already saved. And since we all sin occasionally we thank God He forgives us. But I noticed after 20 to 30 yrs a Christian that does as he pleases is defeated Christian. The Christians that had frequent answers to prayer were the Christianthat went out of their way to not sin and obey God as much as possible. This is what I want.

If I am a “ defeated Christian”—- may all Christians be defeated like me . My life is full of joy and peace ....all of my prayers are answered, I have the assurance of my Salvation and all I want to do is go around and build people up and put a little happiness in their day.I make no conscience effort to “ not sin”. When I drive on the highway I don’t have to sustain a “ conscience effort” to avoid putting the car in reverse .It’s easy to avoid such a stupid move as that, seeing as to how “ I” would be the one paying the price if I were dumb enough to do that. I do what I want every hour of the day, as does everybody if you stop and put your thinking cap on and consider it. The secret and the Power of  Christianity is having the Indwelling Holy Spirit to change your  “wants”...... any flubs are covered by the Blood and the Grace Of  God, but beware — you may be chastised for those “ flubs”.Repentance comes automatically for a Believer .It is a fruit of the Spirit .Sins that are not repented of are covered by Grace— that way if I am underneath a table working and get up too fast and bump my head and say a bad word and then have a heart attack and die before I can repent , I can still go to Heaven.Isnt that nice to know? I am Heaven - Bound  for two reasons and two reasons only: Christ’s Blood and my Faith. That Faith was given to me by God, so it seems that it is ALL HIM and none of me- Just the Way He wants it..........God bless...

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1