IGNORED

Is rock music just fun?

Sounds maybe silly but is it? 

Seems to me the lyrics and images are set against that which is of God. Heavy metal especially. Also the attitudes towards love and sex. 

A friend of mine who is really into it says i am fussing about nothing. It's all just a show he says and fun. Yet the lyrics are full of bad words, anger and dark thoughts as far as i can perceive.

Music is a huge part of life and relaxation but it also heavily influences, especially young minds. Surely young boys into rock are shaped by that which they listen to daily. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Not a fan of heavy metal, and there are plenty of rock bands I don't care for because of the lyrics.  But, there are many that I do like and enjoy listening to.

God bless

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

9 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

Seems to me the lyrics and images are set against that which is of God. Heavy metal especially. Also the attitudes towards love and sex. 

A friend of mine who is really into it says i am fussing about nothing. It's all just a show he says and fun. Yet the lyrics are full of bad words, anger and dark thoughts as far as i can perceive.

Music is a huge part of life and relaxation but it also heavily influences, especially young minds. Surely young boys into rock are shaped by that which they listen to daily. 

We have to be careful how our hearts and minds respond to the music. Will it cause us to sin? Born again Christians are not to be conformed to this world. You friend is not a true Christian?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

No he is not. We have discussions and i hope one day he will become a christian. For now he is steeped in this world. To him Jesus is just a character who lived 2000 years ago. He thinks all is fine in the name of fun as long as you don't harm anyone. But he is yet young. Loves his music. I worry that like a lot of young lads his attitude to girls is basically to objectify them. Boys grow to men with that attitude and maybe rock influences it. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Well Bill Halley was mostly fun.

I left Rock n Roll way back in 1959 when I got way too busy with life to be really a fan  of anyone's music. Though for a while Motown  had some pretty fun stuff. James brown-    At age 73 I  became a Fernando Ortega fan/admirer  because my bride to be was one. I took her to  one of his concerts. Now I am indeed an admirer of his efforts for the message from the heart that his music his worship is seems to parallel that of my own heart.

And therein might be the answer.  What is the message and where is the heart?

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

6 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Boys grow to men with that attitude and maybe rock influences it. 

I've attended many concerts. Classical, gospel, jazz, pop, rock & roll, new wave/alternative, country western, and Christian contemporary. There are more active groupies who are female than male. Both are prone to the influences and listen to their particular choice of styles. Anything with lyrics has a message - good, not so good, and down right evil. We need to be careful of what we digest when it comes to musical tastes.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Garbage in
Garbage out

With pandora playing in my shop, I can pick and chose the artist.
I probably have close to a hundred different 'stations' of artists.
Mostly old stuff, but a lot of new also.
Have been gravitating to instrumental more and more.
There is so many  really good tunes/songs that are uplifting.
Slow and easy for meditating, fast and up beat for building cabinets.
It is easy to 'thumb up' or 'thumb down' tunes that draw upon the flesh or spirit.
Selective via like/dislike. Instant. (conviction knob: )

Any mid level believer KNOWS what tune is honorable/dishonorable to our savior.
The rub is truth. The light can decide, if allowed to shine, or darkness will rule.
Choose you this day........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Seems to me the lyrics and images are set against that which is of God.

Really? What ones are you listing too cause I don't seem to have any rock music with lyrics that are against God.  

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Okay let me take this more seriously then my last replay.  One rock/heavy metal song dose not represent all rock/heavy.  It is just like not every country song is about drinking and hanging out in the bars.(and I have heard some questionable country songs)   You have to pick and choice what you listen too.  Every one is different. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

20 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Really? What ones are you listing too cause I don't seem to have any rock music with lyrics that are against God. 

Good to know you've managed to choose well the catalog of choice. Larry Norman, grandfather of Christian contemporary music, and who was also known for his outspoken lyrics once penned a tune called: Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1