• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Who Says Women Can’t Pastor?

A very interesting article, and everyone here who has read my posts are aware my personal feelings about the OP. I do think the role of Priscilla and Aquila are a little overemphasized though. According to scriptures, they were mentioned as helpers, and not specifically in elder/ministerial positions. Romans 16:3 They were more along the lines of deacons, and were a strong support system of how the congregation was moving in the Holy Spirit during this early first century church period.  Acts 18:26

Acts 18:2 | View whole chapter | See verse in context

And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them.
Acts 18:18 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow.
Acts 18:26 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.
Romans 16:3 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
Corinthians 16:19 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Royal Member

1 hour ago, Revlori said:

Phoebe,

Deaconess  Romans 16:1 = Servant

Priscilla,

Likewise  Romans 16:3 = Helper

Junia,

Ditto  Romans 6:18 = Kinsman 

I don't mean to downplay their roles in the church. They were of significant importance. They absolutely were. But there were none then, nor are there any now, elders or apostles who are women. Only men are mentioned in this position, according to the scriptures as they read correctly and literally. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

The 12 apostles of Jesus Christ were all males,

I wonder how it would have looked back then in Bible times if Jesus ran around with 12 women? :whistling:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,481
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not judging but, some of the following comes to mind reading some of these posts?

Romans 12:3 (KJV) For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. [emphasis added]

Pride: 1. Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, rank or elevation in office, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.

Humble: 3. Lowly; modest; meek; submissive; opposed to proud,haughty, arrogant or assuming. In an evangelical sense, having a low opinion of one's self, and a deep sense of unworthiness in the sight of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Revlori said:

Please take time to read this article again. Thank you & God bless

I did take the time to read most of it at least and it's the same old recycled arguments. This man, simply put, is wrong. He starts with a description of Eisegesis and Exegesis and then immediately and unremittingly engages in eisegesis. It's unfortunate. Simply put, his argument is absurd. He has a lot of titles, but that means virtually nothing. It would be simple to produce 15 counter-examples with guys with the same titles.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

22 hours ago, Steve_S said:

1Ti 2:12  And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 
1Ti 2:13  For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 
1Ti 2:14  And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 
1Ti 2:15  Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control. 

I have an impossible time accepting that this is a cultural designation. He goes all the way back to creation with his appeal to why - Adam and Eve. If it is cultural then the obvious conclusion to draw is that the only single culture in which the relationship between Adam and Eve is relevant is the one in which Timothy was preaching when Paul sent him this letter.

People may say this is an opinion of paul and that's a fair thing to say, but even if that is the case, this is the "opinion" of a spirit filled chosen apostle of the living God (though I think it is more than just an opinion). One would do very well to follow the advice of such a man, wouldn't you think?

I have to say, the verses mean what they mean, regardless of what the church thinks they mean. Apart from that, though, you say the "church" has already decided that these verses were not meant for every culture. I've noticed you've said this more than once.

Could you please give me a short list of the major denominations that comprise this church that has made the above decision you reference?

The verses you quoted have always confused me, especially verse 15 about childbearing saving women. Because of verse 15, I tend to think he was speaking on his own accord and not giving a command from God. Yes, he was spirit-filled and a chosen apostle, but he was till speaking to those people in those times and my understanding was that he believed Christ was coming back in his lifetime. So everything was not revealed to him.

As far as denominations go, where I live its Methodists, Nazarenes, and Non-Denominational. I actually remember one of Trump's  former advisors being a female Baptist minister.

2 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

As far as denominations go, where I live its Methodists, Nazarenes, and Non-Denominational. I actually remember one of Trump's  former advisors being a female Baptist minister.

So you meant where you live the question is settled or nationally?

23 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

The verses you quoted have always confused me, especially verse 15 about childbearing saving women. Because of verse 15, I tend to think he was speaking on his own accord and not giving a command from God. Yes, he was spirit-filled and a chosen apostle, but he was till speaking to those people in those times and my understanding was that he believed Christ was coming back in his lifetime. So everything was not revealed to him.

Firstly, I'd ask why that makes you believe it was just his opinion?

Secondly, Christ said that no man knows the day or hour of His return. That is a highly special case. Paul, or any other apostle or any other Christian, expressing hope that Christ's return is near or even feeling as if it is, is not a lack of insight on their part. We are told specifically that this time will be at the Father's choosing. I am positive Paul of all people would have understood that.

Topics like this are always difficult because they involve things that people want. These aren't abstract concepts. They involves opinions and desires of individuals that have a direct bearing on them today. The problem, though, is that I have never seen anyone make a good argument that was based on the scriptures themselves that this is just some random opinion of Paul that he decided to insert into the God-breathed scriptures of his own accord, because that is what it would require for me to believe that. That is the sort of thing that could end up calling into question the legitimacy of a lot more than this single verse and that is why it is so incredibly dangerous to entertain it.

Edited by Steve_S
Grammar.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

The new testament tells us a woman's place in the church. The old testament tells us a woman's place in the family and society.

Yet amazingly this thread has gone on with females disputing the word of God with ifs and maybes.

Maybe it is Paul that makes this request instead of God, but maybe it isn't. The number of women willing to throw caution into the wind gives us a great insight into the inner workings of female nature. 

Men are programmed to serve and protect women. Women are programmed to serve and protect women. With such a strong focus on "self" it is dangerous to society for women to be in positions of power as it tends to be all about "us" (women) instead of all humans.

To the Christian ladies in here why would you want to be anything other than what the bible tells you to be? Should authority be taken away from men and given to women? If so why?

This is the most anti-women post I have ever read on worthy. Congratulations for that win. And by the way. Women do not just care for or 

take care of other women. They take care of the children and their husbands. As well as their ageing parents. 

Edited by LadyKay
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

2 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

This is the most anti-women post I have ever read on worthy. Congratulations for that win. And by the way. Women do not just care for or

take care of other women. The take care of the children and their husbands. I know that I do. 

Thank you, for standing up for the right of your God given gender. I would have responded to this one, but it wasn't addressed to me. The term, "chauvinist" did come to mind, however. Kudos to you!

44825366_bravosmiley.gif.d7ae0bbc3d0fdf8f6cd816efa5dbf501.gif