• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1974

So its funny that the range of replies is reminiscent of Job's buddies.  

If you think any or extended fasting is not for you, un Bibical, useless today, or foolish; know that I'm not interested in convincing you otherwise, nor then asking your advice or support.  

Wisdom I'll hear.  

I guess bucket list might not be the right term.  But it is an item that I know will get me to where I need to go.  

I've read Scripture and books and accounts of fasting, and the results. Those results are what I'm after.  Some are spiritual, most are soulish, and a few are physical.  Fasting is not to move God but to move me so He can move in me.  

Thinking is about logistics, bail out measures...ways to make minor changes to make it work whilst retaining the purity of it. Water only is the goal, but that may need to change as it goes. 

Prolly not much discerning going on...this is my path. 

So, looking for btdt wisdom and advice.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Walking Chipmunk said:

So its funny that the range of replies is reminiscent of Job's buddies.  

If you think any or extended fasting is not for you, un Bibical, useless today, or foolish; know that I'm not interested in convincing you otherwise, nor then asking your advice or support.  

Brother, Job's friends were in an accusatory mode - they claimed he sinned badly and were in a nosey and gossipy mode of wanting to know what he did to tick God off.

I don't see anyone here accusing you of great sin.

And correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see anyone here saying that fasting is not for them, not Biblical, useless today, or foolish.  In fact some have said they do fast.  I have fasted few times in my life and recognize that I need to fast more.  The whole Christian body could do with fasting.

Fasting is for the Christian, Biblical, useful today, and wise.

We are just concerned at your motivation and very concerned about a 40-day fast.  Whatever you choose to do, God bless.

• Well Said! 1

So the question remains, with my motives questioned (no harm there), has anyone fasted, water only for 40 days.  Looking for experienced voices here.  

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Walking Chipmunk said:

So the question remains, with my motives questioned (no harm there), has anyone fasted, water only for 40 days.  Looking for experienced voices here.  

Chip, nobody here is that foolish. Please reread my post and get some sense into your head.  

On 2/12/2020 at 5:30 AM, BeauJangles said:

Are you kidding? Jesus was able to do this after the Holy Spirit descended upon Him. You are not Jesus. 

I have done countless three day fasts to break bondages and for extensive intercession. Beyond that is not wise in my opinion, and potentially detrimental to your health. Why risk it, and what are you trying to prove?

Then I guess I was not asking you!  

Unless you have been elected to represent this crowd: who are you to answer for the 3000 (or however many) people here?

9 minutes ago, Walking Chipmunk said:

Then I guess I was not asking you!

It would appear you have no other takers at this point, Chip. 

31 minutes ago, Walking Chipmunk said:

Looking for experienced voices here.  

Is your dyslexia worse than mine? Read it again. I DO have experience. Lots of it! 

21 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I have done countless three day fasts to break bondages and for extensive intercession. Beyond that is not wise in my opinion, and potentially detrimental to your health. Why risk it, and what are you trying to prove?

40 minutes ago, Walking Chipmunk said:

Unless you have been elected to represent this crowd: who are you to answer for the 3000 (or however many) people here?

Cool your engines and read every single post on this thread once again. Your attention span seems to be somewhat challenged. It's alright, this syndrome is quite common with younger persons these days. Novices are also in need of wisdom. No one in modern Christianity undergoes a 40 day "water only" fast. NO ONE.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

People are giving you answers from all directions; experience, medical and spiritual. An extended water fast that you want to do is very dangerous just in and of itself medical wise. As caring people, we aren't going to advise someone to do something that has the potential of harming themselves just as we would not advise someone to do something that could harm others. An extended fast past 3 days from all food is very risky.

The food we intake, doesn't just give us energy to move around. Your brain and vital organs need sustenance to function. Sudden death can happen regardless of how young you are, how healthy you are or how much body fat you’re still holding on to. Your body doesn't know your starving yourself on purpose. We have a built in protection mode in the case of a famine. And when you starve yourself, your metabolism slows to a crawl in an attempt to save you from starving to death. Your organs in an attempt to stay functioning and keep you alive will get what it needs from from your muscle mass first before ever taking it from stored fat. Why? Because your organs need Structural protein to function. Any weight you lose on this, will be replaced quickly with fat instead of the desired muscle gain once you resume eating again.

Weight loss guru's have painted too rosy of a picture because there are those who are desperate to get the unwanted weight off without having to exercise it off. This is very, very hard on your physical heart and organs. If you don't have a medical problems before starting this, you may very well have one after starting or die in the middle of it. The risk of having a medical issue from it is greater than the benefits.

In all honesty, you don't need to put yourself in such a precarious position to show God your sincerity and desire for a closer walk. God knows your heart. When satan took Jesus atop the temple and told him to jump off, Jesus told satan that it was a foolish test even though scriptures said that God would send his angels to protect him. I'm saying this to help you think this through a bit more.  Not everything is a test or proof of faith.  Some things are foolish ok.  Give more thought into what we are saying.  We are NOT trying to be judgmental, or give you that impression; but we do want to keep you safe because we care about you.  If we didn't care, we wouldn't be responding as we are.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

So for those for whom a 40 day, or other extended fast is on your heart:

If God has laid this at your heart, you know this is your direction:  get on that horse and ride it! Go and go now!  Toss cares and inhibitions aside and go! To try and come up short or fail, beats failing to try! If you quit, then learn and hit it again, with gusto!

And, go with wisdom.  Before you start or shortly after, a few bits of wisdom should be had.

Learn from those who HAVE done this. Knowing what genenerally to expect is usefull.  Look also to those who have failed, there is much to be learned there.

Fasting of many types and durations is Biblical...knowing who how when and why, is good knowledge: you try a powerful tool like this and you can bet there will be abundant oppoition! Fasting is Biblically indicated. 

Fasting also has awesome medical benefits.  Familiarity with benefits, drawbacks, warnings, things to be aware of....include acceptable counter measures to incorporate should you recognise that, say, your electrolytes are low or whatever else.  Know also the medical reasons one should not fast if you possess them.  Aside from those 4 or 5 exceptions, Fasting is medically indicated.

It is usefull to be versed in the differences between extended (aka prolonged) fasting and intermittent fasting.  Refeeding is also important to have a grip on.  

Ignore those who say it can't be done.  It can, it has been in Scripture and presently, but knowing how is the wisdom to have.  

Check your motives: bunk.  Hop on that pony and ride!  As a fallen, your motives can never be pure.  You get a couple days into not eating, and you can be sure you and He will be discussing your motives at length.  God is good at serving humble pie during a fast. If you wait till your motives are lined up, you'll never go.

A fast without prayer, is a diet.  

If you have much stuffola to deal with, and contemplating an extended fast: go for it.  But be ready to see Him deal with you quickly, to where you stop your fast because things have been dealt with.  There is a place where pressing in is indicated, but fasting just to count the days, doesnt accomplish much, other than to miss good food, and perhaps be walking in disobedience.  

If you have a lot to deal with, also allow Him to deal with perhaps one or two issues at a time.  Be ok to stop fasting and walk out your new direction before working out the next issues or taking on another fast. He knows how much change you can handle, let Him set the pace. Also, the changes He effects first may also begin dealing with the things you didn't address in the fast.

A fast is not to move God, but to move me so God can move in me.  

To those who spoke His heart, thank you.  You are blessed.  

WC

Edited by Walking Chipmunk
Not loosing the whole thang

40 day water fast

And, go with wisdom.  Before you start or shortly after, a few bits of wisdom should be had.

Sorry to have to bring this to your attention once again, Chip. A forty day water fast is NOT wise. 

Learn from those who HAVE done this.

Once again, the only persons of written account in scriptures was Moses and Jesus. You're not them.  

Look also to those who have failed, there is much to be learned there.

Yes. A lesson to be learned that fasting in this foolish manner should not be considered. Ever. 

Ignore those who say it can't be done.  It can, it has been in Scripture and presently, but knowing how is the wisdom to have.  

Brother, not one person on this forum recommends this as something to pursue. Why do this? 

A fast without prayer, is a diet.  

Fasting is NOT dieting. Prayer and fasting always go hand in hand. Please read below. God bless you. 

What the Bible Says About Spiritual Fasting

While Jesus and Moses both fasted for 40 days without food and water, this was clearly an impossible human achievement, only accomplished through the Holy Spirit's empowerment. (Important Note: Fasting without water is extremely dangerous.

Now, listen to me. Fasting is a good thing. And those who are physically able to withstand the rigors of fasting for SPECIFIC PURPOSES should do so. But fasting just for some kind of spiritual revelation has never been mentioned as a haphazard method of enlightenment. It's cultish, bro. Only someone like Mohandas Gandhi did stuff like that, and even he did it for a reason. 

Why did Mohandas Gandhi fast? - Answers

https://www.answers.com/Q/Why_did_Mohandas_Gandhi_fast

Sep 15, 2011 · Mohandas Gandhi's longest fast took place in Delhi and lasted 21 days. One of his goals was to bring about unity between Hindus and Muslims.