• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,026
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,355
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

17 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

If it happens again, if you're feeling "bold", you might look for an opening in the new conversation and say to your friend, "Hey, I'm gonna go ahead and head home. Maybe we can finish our conversation another time." Then introduce yourself to the new person, shake her hand and excuse yourself. (Something along those lines....) 

I agree with the above.   Also, you might even look for an opening in the conversation and introduce yourself.   Then if you feel led, stay.

Funny people don't know it's common courtesy to introduce someone to another that joins them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

21 hours ago, LadyKay said:

So this happens a lot to me at church and I feel rather awkward about it.  It happen last Sunday. I was having a conversation with a lady when someone she knows and I do not know walks over to us. The lady sees this person and immediately ends our conversation and turns all of her attention on this person who has just walked over to us. The two of them start their own conversation with me left standing there next to them. After a few moments I conclude the conversation I was having with this lady must be over so I just walk away.  They don't notice as they stand there carrying on their own conversation.  It just makes me feel awkward as I am never sure if I should just stand there or walk away. I would be fine with a new person joining our conversation.  Like introducing me to them that sort of thing. But it is like I am not even there. So I just walk away. Not knowing what else to do.  

I'm sorry you're experiencing this sort of thing at church. It's not appropriate behavior at all. To suddenly exclude you without even giving a polite short introducing to each other by her was ill mannered to say the least. It appeared this other lady was more important to her than you were at that moment in time. Again, rude! She could and should have at least excused herself and told you she wanted to chat privately with her. So, walking away was perfectly acceptable. You did the polite thing, but were not treated as such.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.86
  • Days Won:  5

It is my firm belief that everybody should carry around a cream pie and know how to use it in instances like these when obnoxiousness raises its ugly head......lol.....

• Haha 2

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 3/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, LadyKay said:

So this happens a lot to me at church and I feel rather awkward about it.  It happen last Sunday. I was having a conversation with a lady when someone she knows and I do not know walks over to us. The lady sees this person and immediately ends our conversation and turns all of her attention on this person who has just walked over to us. The two of them start their own conversation with me left standing there next to them. After a few moments I conclude that the conversation I was having with this lady must be over so I just walk away.  They don't notice as they stand there carrying on their own conversation.  It just makes me feel awkward as I am never sure if I should just stand there or walk away. I would be fine with a new person joining our conversation.  Like introducing me to them that sort of thing. But it is like I am not even there. So I just walk away. Not knowing what else to do.  

Actually Kay I think I would do the same thing.  Rude on both of their parts.  No worries about this one Kay you did right.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 3/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, LadyKay said:

So this happens a lot to me at church and I feel rather awkward about it.  It happen last Sunday. I was having a conversation with a lady when someone she knows and I do not know walks over to us. The lady sees this person and immediately ends our conversation and turns all of her attention on this person who has just walked over to us. The two of them start their own conversation with me left standing there next to them. After a few moments I conclude that the conversation I was having with this lady must be over so I just walk away.  They don't notice as they stand there carrying on their own conversation.  It just makes me feel awkward as I am never sure if I should just stand there or walk away. I would be fine with a new person joining our conversation.  Like introducing me to them that sort of thing. But it is like I am not even there. So I just walk away. Not knowing what else to do.  

As we have The Lord of Glory within us in the person of The Holy Spirit we should be fitted with humility that it matters not and as we stand enjoying the conversation the other two and  looking for ways to encourage either in Godliness... If we have truly the abilities to walk in the s/Spirit dying to self should be easy and loving others no matter the treatment ...for are we not to be dead to self?

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.86
  • Days Won:  5

47 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

There's a problem with this... I'd end up eating the pie, no doubt about it.  I'd either plaster it on my own face or goad someone else into plastering me with theirs... you know the deal. :red_smile:

"Hey you... yeah, you with the pie! C'mon, bet you can't hit me!" 

As always , we should try to emulate The Three Stooges......I think their pies were made of shaving cream....far less tempting to munch on.....

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldn't assume the worst. It's possible that the two are just close friends and were excited to talk. Still it would've been better to include you in the conversation as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. We all have cringy interactions with other people every now and then. Speaking from experience :D

• Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,831
  • Content Per Day:  2.48
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

On 3/11/2020 at 11:57 PM, Blood Bought 1953 said:

It is my firm belief that everybody should carry around a cream pie and know how to use it in instances like these when obnoxiousness raises its ugly head......lol.....

These two would obviously have had no regard for Buddy whatsoever.

Sometimes I'm socially awkward, sometimes I'm not. I find the social atmosphere in any group of people tends to mirror it's leaders. If they pay attention to the needs of quieter shyer people and set the example of intentionally drawing others in, it will be a lot more comfortable for the introverts. I find I cannot thrive in a church without an intimate small group meeting where I really have deep fellowship within the group.

9 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Alas, poor Buddy the parakeet... speaking of awkwardness. :12:

How awkward that you don't even remember she was a ? cat. Wasn't she?