IGNORED

Will the Elect reign "on the earth" or "over the earth" for 1,000 years?

BibleReader

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

2 hours ago, Josheb said:

Is it then appropriate to ask a holder of one view to explain his view, to exegete the text in a manner that supports his/her conclusion (and perhaps persuades others)? 

Oh I have a much better question: Why would we be reigning (with Christ, remember) on earth for that long and not be successful? :whistling:

Well that is a good question that most who believe in a literal 1,000 years will tend to completely ignore, or never even give it a thought?? But i really believe it is simply a matter that is beyond our own human comprehension. Because it technically could be a 1,000 years, but since we will be WITH our Lord Jesus, it would seem like only a day to us, as mindblowing as that is!!! But if you want to limit what our Almighty God/YHVH is capable of doing...be my guest!  

Edited by CaptWalker
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

8 hours ago, Josheb said:

And would you say the elect have been around long before Calvary or Pentecost under different labels beside "church"? 

Yes, absolutely.

8 hours ago, Josheb said:

If so, then would you say the elect/Church have been reigning in one form or another throughout what we call history.... even if they have done so imperfectly or what we/they may have perceived to be varying degrees of success? Did not Abraham reign victoriously over the small section of the world God brought to him? How about Moses? He's a curious figure because on one hand he got to see the remnant of God's glory as it passed but he did not make it into the promised land. How about Deborah? Gideon? Samson? Boaz? The murderous adulterer David? Isaiah? Jeremiah? They jammed that guy in a log and cut him in half! Did he reign? Hosea, the whore-marrying prophet?

This was interesting, because honestly I had never looked at it through this lens before.  By that I am not referring to the individuals, but in regards to whether they were reigning.  I had some time to carefully consider it throughout the day since you first posted, and I would answer affirmatively to all of the above.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

God will do what He wants to do no matter what anyone else thinks.

Of course that is true.  I wonder about things like:

Why did God not make it clear so that there need not be a discussion?

and

Did God make this debatable, so that people WOULD discuss it?

and

Is it even intended for to be known or understood?

or

Is it intended to be understood, only by some (like parables) and not by others?

or

Perhaps some things in eschatology, will be understood by those who need to understand WHEN they need to understand.  The timing of the rapture question is similar, we could ask the about questions about that topic also.

However I would opine, that some ask and discuss these things, because they want to know what God is saying, and perhaps some discuss these things because the have enough prideful ego, that they want to debate in order to show they other guy, how smart they are!

The sad part is that what you said is true Coop while the opposite is also true, that many people will do what they want to do, no matter what God thinks! :(

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/31/2020 at 10:32 AM, Josheb said:

You've noticed the branch of discussion in this op pertaining to the matter of the "Church Age," the identity of the Church and its relevance to the elect? Yes? No? How about that quote from the Dispensationalist Hoyt whose position the Church Age ends before the millennium (the 1000 year reign). If the Church and whatever reign it possesses is related to the Church Age then, logically, Hoyt's position would seem to indicate the elect will not be reigning on, over, or upon the earth, at least not if the elect and the Church are synonymous. Others here, at least three maybe four by my count have a much broader view of the Church Age, the Church, and the elect (but apparently are not permitted to voice those views without either their posts or their personage being attacked). Some folks here hold to a clear, distinct, and non-overlapping dichotomy between the Church and Israel (which is where the 1000 year reign is seated) and others here do not. There's some diversity of thought. It is also observable some provide scriptural support for their position and some do not and of those who do post scripture some treat it with highly interpretive conclusions and others more exegetically so. 

Any thoughts on how these views of the Church Age, the identity of the Church, or that of the elect inform the answer to your original inquiry?

I appreciate everyone's help, but I only want to know what some solid scriptures say on the topic. I also wanted to see if maybe there are some subtle scriptures I may have been missing that shed some more light on the subject.  So far, 2 Corinthians chapter 5 has been the most compelling.  But I'm trying to harmonize this chapter with Jesus telling his disciples that he will drink the product of the vine with them in the Kingdom.  So I'm now wondering if there may be a reigning from heaven and/or from earth depending on the visits the elect may make to earth.  I'm also wondering if the answer is not something God wants us to know just yet.  He may be keeping this a surprise.  I'm trying to keep an open-mind and follow the scriptural evidence, that's all.  

Edited by BibleReader