• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

There's a difference between our dreams and dreams from the Lord, @debrakay

I have always relied upon the power of the Holy Spirit to help me determine which dreams are my imagination and which are messages from the Lord.  The Lord usually uses some kind of confirmation to affirm the message He is trying to get across to me. 

My own personal dreams are sometimes very strange, like flying, without an airplane.  I always have trouble with landings. And strangely enough, I am usually young in my dreams.  See what an imagination I have?!! :35:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

When I’ve had dreams or visions, it was perfectly obvious when it was the Lord. A sureness of the Spirit. If there was any doubt the dream is ignored. The dreams and visions had a very specific reason and were actionable. I was being taught or instructed and never in any way conflicted with scripture or had anything to do with doctrine.

I do believe the Lord provides interpreters. On the other hand, I came to know that the Lord is perfectly capable of speaking clearly...getting through to one of His children. He is not limited.

Cessationists are well counseled to walk carefully, less they be found struggling against God. There is scripture about that.

• Well Said! 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

1 hour ago, Alive said:

When I’ve had dreams or visions, it was perfectly obvious when it was the Lord. A sureness of the Spirit. If there was any doubt the dream is ignored. The dreams and visions had a very specific reason and were actionable. I was being taught or instructed and never in any way conflicted with scripture or had anything to do with doctrine.

I do believe the Lord provides interpreters. On the other hand, I came to know that the Lord is perfectly capable of speaking clearly...getting through to one of His children. He is not limited.

Cessationists are well counseled to walk carefully, less they be found struggling against God. There is scripture about that.

You're a gentle brother and your example stirs me to remember the greatest blessing the Lord has given to me on this earth, greater than all the dreams, visions, and words His Spirit bestowed upon me: you, and the many brothers and sisters He sends my way. My joy is magnified because of you all. The Lord has afforded this honor, that I might witness His Spirit in you and working through you. There's nothing more beautiful in this world to these eyes. 

It wasn't always this way. I hope when others read some of the words I've posted in this topic, they'll understand the truth behind them. The Lord broke me utterly and completely and this isn't hyperbolic prose by any means. I was tall, strong, and fair in appearance. I was never sick a day in my life and whatever I set myself to doing, like being a soldier in the U.S. Army, I exceled at.  I was starting to taste success in this world --- money, possessions, and local fame --- when the Spirit of the Lord drew near, declaring my election and that the time had come for me to seek Christ. 

This was my first insight into the scriptures though it didn't occur to me at the time seeing as how I was ignorant of them, of course. When the Lord says, "Come to Me" that is what one does... we drop everything and come to Him. Even though we are ignorant of Him, we obey His voice.  We see this reflected in His choosing of the disciples who dropped their nets and abandoned whatever they were doing to follow Him.

I didn't know that many of those dreams I received were prophetic and spoke of the breaking to come, sent by the Lord so that in latter days my faith in Him would be built up sure and steady, chasing the shadow of doubt away through the knowledge that I witnessed each one come true. The Lord started to break me the moment I answered Him, which I've shared elsewhere as the trial which commenced after my baptism in water. 

I lost everything, friends. I lost my strength, health, pride, vanity, possessions, my mind and the ability to speak. The Lord God broke me until there was nothing left except for the life in this body, which was fleeting by the conclusion of my lengthy ordeal. I was almost dead when the Spirit of Christ came to me in the end and instead of granting my desire to perish and face the judgment to come, He lifted me in His hand and raised me up. When the Lord promised to restore everything I had lost in a measure far exceeding what I possessed before, here's what He meant:

My strength was greater than it was before because it wasn't borne of this body but rather, it's the faith which God Himself gave to me. I was wealthy beyond my wildest dreams because my riches are stored in Him where they can't be stolen nor lost to calamity and decay. The Lord humbled me greatly so my vanity was exposed to the Light which shines in the darkness, and my pride was buried in the dust which, according to the prophecy of the dream, was the grave of my burial. 

And although I had known Christ and believed Him before my unmaking was finished, I was stumbling in the darkness ignorant of His will and purpose. The Lord promised that once my healing and restoration was complete, He would call upon me to stand before Him as the work of His hand. Two years later He fulfilled the promise by baptizing me in His Spirit. Therefore the Lord broke me utterly and completely and when His work was finished, He gave me more than I possessed before. 

Himself, always.  

Edited by Marathoner
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

8 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

You're a gentle brother and your example stirs me to remember the greatest blessing the Lord has given to me on this earth, greater than all the dreams, visions, and words His Spirit bestowed upon me: you, and the many brothers and sisters He sends my way. My joy is magnified because of you all. The Lord has afforded this honor, that I might witness His Spirit in you and working through you. There's nothing more beautiful in this world to these eyes. 

It wasn't always this way. I hope when others read some of the words I've posted in this topic, they'll understand the truth behind them. The Lord broke me utterly and completely and this isn't hyperbolic prose by any means. I was tall, strong, and fair in appearance. I was never sick a day in my life and whatever I set myself to doing, like being a soldier in the U.S. Army, I exceled at.  I was starting to taste success in this world --- money, possessions, and local fame --- when the Spirit of the Lord drew near, declaring my election and that the time had come for me to seek Christ. 

This was my first insight into the scriptures though it didn't occur to me at the time seeing as how I was ignorant of them, of course. When the Lord says, "Come to Me" that is what one does... we drop everything and come to Him. Even though we are ignorant of Him, we obey His voice.  We see this reflected in His choosing of the disciples who dropped their nets and abandoned whatever they were doing to follow Him.

I didn't know that many of those dreams I received were prophetic and spoke of the breaking to come, sent by the Lord so that in latter days my faith in Him would be built up sure and steady, chasing the shadow of doubt away through the knowledge that I witnessed each one come true. The Lord started to break me the moment I answered Him, which I've shared elsewhere as the trial which commenced after my baptism in water. 

I lost everything, friends. I lost my strength, health, pride, vanity, possessions, my mind and the ability to speak. The Lord God broke me until there was nothing left except for the life in this body, which was fleeting by the conclusion of my lengthy ordeal. I was almost dead when the Spirit of Christ came to me in the end and instead of granting my desire to perish and face the judgment to come, He lifted me in His hand and raised me up. When the Lord promised to restore everything I had lost in a measure far exceeding what I possessed before, here's what He meant:

My strength was greater than it was before because it wasn't borne of this body but rather, it's the faith which God Himself gave to me. I was wealthy beyond my wildest dreams because my riches are stored in Him where they can't be stolen nor lost to calamity and decay. The Lord humbled me greatly so my vanity was exposed to the Light which shines in the darkness, and my pride was buried in the dust which, according to the prophecy of the dream, was the grave of my burial. 

And although I had known Christ and believed Him before my unmaking was finished, I was stumbling in the darkness ignorant of His will and purpose. The Lord promised that once my healing and restoration was complete, He would call upon me to stand before Him as the work of His hand. Two years later He fulfilled the promise by baptizing me in His Spirit. Therefore the Lord broke me utterly and completely and when His work was finished, He gave me more than I possessed before. 

Himself, always.  

I hear you, brother. God is Good.

we share much, we do.

Praise the Lord! Your experiences are an Amen to mine as well as the conclusion and result in some small way.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, Marathoner said:

This ought to call into question man's conceptions regarding whom is "right" with the Lord and who is not. It should but it doesn't. The scripture themselves testify --- the same scriptures which the unstable twist and use to accuse others in insolence --- that the Lord has mercy upon whomever He wills, forgiving the trespass of thousands. Yet there are some whom He will not forgive which is revealed to be the one without mercy or love. The measure by which an evil generation judges will be returned to them. Lacking mercy they will be shown no mercy themselves. 

Marathoner,

Your initial paragraph is why I addressed the OP in the manner in which I did. I've discussed many a dream over the years and some from God, many not from God. Since the OP did confess of backsliding, I made mention of how focusing on all "but" conviction, can be a source of distraction. In this case, dreams. 

Just today, this scripture popped up in my "Verse of the Day," and I thought of this thread. Checking in, I find the thread is progressing and we all should be encourage by your comments and yes, we're to help and not accuse. However, illuminating sin and encouraging one to get right with God is never on the grounds of accusation. Why, we can be like Christ and simply say to a person who has confessed sin (I'm presently backsliding), to "sin no more!" Some will even take that as being accusatory and such an effort to "help" the person who has confessed to sinning, ends because some will suddenly back off.

Here is the verse:

1 Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
And His ears are open to their prayers;
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

Why, the context is all about compassion for brethren. When one confesses of backsliding, to avoid this and the position the confessor has found himself in, I agree 100%, do NOT accuse/judge because this is unhelpful, unloving, etc. But also, lets not be distracted from the problem and just watch as such a brethren avoids getting right with God by focusing on dreams. The OPer stated later in a post the dreams about not about themselves (what they are doing), but family and/or future.

In my experience, when brethren have sinned or are sinning (backslidden), any dreams that God has given are in alignment with conviction. Basically, God is driving the point home of the ignored conviction. Some I know who have continued in backsliding, ignored conviction, ignored any dreams, I know of God empowering others and gave a prophetic word speaking directing into the life of the person who has backslidden, spoke specifically of the sin. At other times, I know of pastors who have a sermon fully prepared and on Saturday night, they have to prepare a whole new sermon dealing with "sin" and have found out later, the sermon was for a visitor who attended the service.

While it is important to discuss and understand dreams, if a person is in a backslidden position, we also cannot avoid illuminating this fact because of the compassion and love we have for brethren.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Can you pray for interpretation?

Certainly. Without the revelation of the Holy Spirit nobody can understand the Holy Scripture.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

On 7/30/2020 at 2:49 AM, Figure of eighty said:

I feel , despite my situation( backsliding), God gives me dreams but I don't understand the meaning. Not completely anyway. 

Can I pray for this gift?

The purposes of God are established through the dream.

14For God speaks in one way,

ver. 29and in two, though man does not perceive it.

15In See Num. 12:6a dream, in a vision of the night,

when deep sleep falls on men,

while they slumber on their beds,

16then he opens the ears of men

and terrifies Or seals them with warnings,

17that he may turn man aside from his deed

and conceal pride from a man;

18he keeps back his soul from the pit,

his life from perishing by the sword.

The Lord will not hide this from you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

God was the one that said ask whatever you wish if our words remain in Him, for things to happen for us in Gospel of John. Jesus said in Gospel of Luke that God wants to give us the Holy Spirit even more than we want Him. its dangerous to receive a false interpretation gift because it would lead people astray, it all depends on the heart. I think the persons heart plays a huge part into what God offers the person spiritually. 

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Yes you can pray for anything (that is that does ‘t contradict God’s character and commands), “Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!” (John 14:14) 

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Do not think of this as "dream interpretation." God often uses dreams to talk to us. Even during my time of silence toward Him, He kept His promise and still provided knowledge and wisdom to be during sleep and relaxation in the form of mental images. 

I forget some of them as I'm writing them down... Usually, I understand this to mean it's not to be repeated. Many of them are His answers to my questions, others are things of mutual concern.

Do NOT let anyone tell you that God would never do anything to confuse you-  that's not what He's doing. He's probably just talking till you understand Him. I won't pretend to understand how other Christians say they've "heard from God," and are satisfied with a mere feeling and nothing audible or visual. There are those of us who are "visual" thinkers. 

One simple example from years ago is this: in my waking hours, I had just a very realistic image of an old rusty car bumper. It had a vanity plate. I started to wake up and very distinctly speaking as if to someone and said, "wait, I don't know what year it is." I was guided to look back at it and as soon as I saw it, I knew and stated the year. I was flipping through my bible later and came across an obscure passage of scripture that matched what the vanity plate and year in my "dream." He told me to read to a certain group of people. This was an "initiation," of sorts. I asked for a specific calling, He wants me to know for myself if I can understand and follow it.

Don't over think it, though. And don't worry about how people treat you, that's part of it. 

I know its been some time since you first posted this, but I thought I'd still offer my experience- took me years to realize what was going on... 

Edited by Philologos