• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

"open canon"

sigh.

Who is accusing charismatics of THAT?  And on what grounds?

Whatta crock.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

I was Roman Catholic.

One day I was witnessed to about the full gospel of salvation.

I found speaking in tongues a stumbling block.

So I prayed to Jesus about this. I prayed for Jesus to lead me to the truth about the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

He kicked my rear over to a Bible disciplined Pentecostal church.

I was baptized in water and confessed my faith.

Nothing changed ... I was still the same.

I kept reading the scriptures in the NT about the Holy Spirit, the Comforter and the Spirit of truth, the promise from the Father.

One month later while seeking to receive the Holy Spirit, I did so and I spoke forth in tongues - I spoke out in a God given spiritual language that from then on I could readily pray in. 

Then I completely changed - I was transformed - converted - set free - miraculously healed that day of many sins and addictions. 

I believed the gospel that I could read for my self - I believed and I received the same experience as the apostles and disciples of the NT church.

Mark 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that have believed: in my name shall they cast out demons, speak with tongues;

Acts 10:46  For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 
47  Can anyone forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? 

• Group:  Junior Member

Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/assets/images/copyChkboxOff.gif Mar 3:29

But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

• Group:  Junior Member

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

12 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I have not said when for it is unclear... but for sure at the eternal state... my point of contention has been the focus all have placed upon the the thing itself when for sure it is not being kept! As I said if tongues were Biblically practiced I don't think there would be any issues... when spoken in public then a must interpretation so that Scripture may be examined to verify message is of God 'By His Word' ... and in private well then that should not be spoken of or else it was not private!

In other words you can't find anywhere where God has given a word to say when tongues and prophecy are going to cease.  And yet you have maintained that God's Word definitely says that tongues is not for today.  But now it seems that having faced that there are no words from God on the issue, other than 1 Corinthians 12 and 14 which fully support the spiritual gifts are available for the church (including tongues), you are now accepting that tongues can be used in churches as long as there are interpreters.   So, if that is so, have you the courage to stand up in your church and say that they should not forbid the speaking out of tongues along with interpretation if the Holy Spirit moved people that way?

You are correct when you say that private tongues are private between the believer and God, and therefore way out of range of any criticism or inference that the tongues being spoken in private is any other than a language that God fully understands.

I can fully understand that you or your church would not want to have the type of tongues observed through video clips taken from Bethel, Hillsong, Kenny Copeland meetings, or other environments where tongues is spoken publicly in an uncontrolled and uninterpreted manner.   Tongues (or any other manifestation) plus no self-control equals falsehood, because self-control is an essential attribute of the leading of the Holy Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Though I do believe the gifts are currently operating today, we have been told they will cease.  1 Corinthians 13:8-10

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06

2 hours ago, Buddy D. Mouse said:
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Thanks for the good explanation, most christians hv refused tongue and become Theologians than following the early disciples.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,138
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Beloved Brothers & Sisters

Please try to understand & do read without being defensive......No one here has said tongues ought be forbidden,no one said ALL charismatics but" the main portion of the movement" ,no one said when (or if) the Gifts have cease but that Gods Word Says "they shall" ..................are any of these things untrue? Of course not,so why let "feelings" take over? We are all much better than that with the Heart & Mind of our Lord & Savior Christ Jesus     IRON SHARPENS IRON,its a GOOD thing to listen,learn, &  share

I'm not the expert here,I have had much experience with the Pentacostals and in my experience I would say the GIFTS have not yet ceased but they are indeed "passing away" and as I've stated earlier that when I was a "babe" it surely helped to "see & feel" as I did come from rcc,I NEEDED to experience the MOVE of Holy Spirit,my Heavenly Father had me be exactly where I needed to be to get "debriefed" from the religious cult I was raised with (parents etc).....as I grew in my Relationship with God in Christ and matured I no longer needed to be "shown" anything and more was required of me.......Am I saying that is how it should be for everyone,absolutely not!

I see that in Africa ,China,the Middle East Holy Spirit Does Move Like a Mighty Rushing wind......God Bless those events for those people that never even heard of Jesus,never saw a Bible and for them thats how Jesus Introduces Himself.....I don't know what y'all thought about Reinhardt Bonke but if you ever heard him speak he sounded just like our Brother enoob.....all the Glory was Given to God, there were works & wonders all over the place and he never ever made much ado over it....in fact I thought of Bonke when I read what enoob wrote here:

since our Lord has warned us not to look to signs and wonders... we do not and do not teach others to do so- why- isn't obvious? Why would we direct people to know God is real through the very thing God has warned us the devil will use... I have seen miracles done on myself but do not lead focus upon this for the above reason... plus all of this 1st creation will be forgotten so why build upon that which will not continue or be remembered? The s/Spiritual walk is just that 'not of this world' so when we draw the world we are in into the Spiritual we confuse the very principle of faith

What a wonderful preacher Bonke was,Praise Jesus! Anyway,there is so much really good stuff here in this Thread,wonderful personal experiences being shared by really wonderful Brothers,there is wisdom,knowledge and lots & lots of LOVE......let us discuss these Biblical concepts regarding "tongues" and really hear what each others saying......let us never forget that our Personal Relationship with our Lord is ours,ours alone & NO ONE is questioning that,no not ever!!!!TRuly we have Born Again Believers here,we come in all different shapes ,sizes & some prefer this denomination or that one but HEY,there are no "Sections" in Paradise,lol and we are all on the same "Team Jesus"

LOve you all-in Christ- Sister Kwik

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

• Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

On 8/12/2020 at 8:36 AM, Markesmith said:

Scriptures refer to tongues as foreign languages!

Acts 2:Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

But then, there's this verse referring to tongues speaking not to man but to God and no one understands him.

2 Corinthians 14:2  For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

7 hours ago, enoob57 said:

The main portion of the movement charismania claims open canon and that leads to some awful stuff ...

I've been in charasmatic/pentecostal circles for the last 12 years and I have yet to see someone claim an open canon. I know if someone did, they would be considered a heretic within these circles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1