• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Why does Jesus speak in Parables? What does parables mean? I am referring to Matthew 13, which Jesus speaks about different topics of what the Kingdom of Heaven is like. (There is more than just this chapter alone). Are there reasons why Jesus speaks this way?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

2 minutes ago, David Junior said:

Why does Jesus speak in Parables? What does parables mean? I am referring to Matthew 13, which Jesus speaks about different topics of what the Kingdom of Heaven is like. (There is more than just this chapter alone). Are there reasons why Jesus speaks this way?

The Lord explained why He spoke in parables in the 13th chapter of Matthew.

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
(Matthew 13:10-17)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, David Junior said:

Perhaps he likes to talk in code so only his followers will understand him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

5 hours ago, David Junior said:

Hi David,

Jesus spoke in parables, - stories with another meaning, to the people of Israel. He was reminding them of the promises God had given them as a nation. Those who trusted God and believed Him, came to understood their meanings, while those who didn`t trust God were still blinded to their truths.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

16 hours ago, David Junior said:

Biblically, to hide truth from those except the ones who mix hearing/reading parables with trust in God.

Trust Jesus for eternal life and you'll truly start to understand the parables.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

20 hours ago, David Junior said:

Marathoner quoted the explanation that the Lord himself gave (Matt. 13:10-17).

1) Those who understand do so because God has graciously given them understanding.

2) The others have not been given understanding, so they do not understand.

3) This lack of understanding is a judgment from God, against hardness of heart, to keep them from being converted.

Parables are illustrations: using everyday things, to teach spiritual truths.

The Lord spoke in parables deliberately, so that only those to whom God had given soft hearts would understand and be converted.  Salvation is all of God's grace!

Ez. 36:26,27 (VW)

26 I will also give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
27 And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall keep My judgments and do them.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

On 9/16/2020 at 5:00 PM, David Junior said:

Jesus spoke in parables to prove who would study all His precepts to get the right interpretation such as Rob did in this excellent teaching on the parables of the sower:

https://sumofthyword.com/2017/03/19/parable-of-the-sower/

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Jesus spoke in parables so that only those who are truly interested in finding God's Kingdom of salvation find it.

Paul writes that unstable people destroy themselves using the scriptures.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Jesus came to save the world.  He especially came to address marginalized sinners and the common people; those forgotten or cast aside by the mainstream religion of the day.  By and large these were, for the most part, populations who were not well educated.  In many cases they could not read or write.  Speaking in parables was an efficient way to relate to them in a manner which they could readily comprehend.  These people provided for themselves and their families mostly by working the fields in agrarian related jobs or by likewise working the sea as fisherman.  Most parables related the truths contained within the gospels through the imagery of these experiences.  Although the imagery of tilling fields and harvesting a bountiful catch may seem anachronistic for many in today's world, the truth conveyed is eternal, and as such, as applicable today as it was almost 2000 years ago.  It will stand as truth until the end of the world, diminished in no way, but simply manifested within a modern day context.  Herein we can see the value of the interpretive disciplines of cultural, textual, linguistic, and temporal examination of biblical scripture.  I wonder by what communicative techniques Jesus would have reached the masses in today's world?  Anyone?    

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 9/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, David Junior said:

The direct approach (the Ten Commandments, for example) just didn't get through. 

God has a unique interpersonal approach of teaching and bringing out our understanding in such a way as if we arrived at it.

The parable "don't play with fire or you will get burned" has a gazillion applications in life. 

Chuck Missler also pointed out that God's progressive Word (which simply means greater revelation came over time) was the insertion of his Word in a hostile environment (this world). And certain things had to be prophetically obscure until the events came to pass. 

This is why, for example, we see...

Proverbs 25:2 (AV)
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

and

Deuteronomy 29:29 (AV)
29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

and

Isaiah 28:9–13 (AV)
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

finally

Matthew 13:11 (AV)
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.