Can Depression be cured

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

Things go wrong with our bodies. Including brain chemistry. No different from any other ailments. Seeking medical treatment is sensible, just as with any ailments or malfunction of our bodies.

A strong relationship with God is a big help, prayers, Bible study and reading.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

On 9/29/2020 at 10:32 PM, CaptWalker said:

Well i feel like in order to even qualify to respond to this, i have to say i was prescribed some very strong anti-depressants as a teenager, and they definitely seemed to help as far as my overall mood was concerned...but there were also some negative aspects to them, which i won't take the time to mention. But I would say that anyone suffering from depression alone is so much better off than being overwhelmed by FEAR, which i don't think is related, since i personally only recall a very deep sadness but was not afraid as i am NOW! And even to the point where i feel God Himself may be against me, by allowing my enemies to get the best of me and totally ruin my life, but won't go into detail about that. So paranoia/fear is most definitely something much more serious than depression as far as a tactic of our one true ENEMY, and so anyone who is only sad or even suicidal isn't necessarily any worse off that someone like myself. And maybe even should consider yourself lucky that God is not testing you as He did with JOB...just saying!

It's a great honor to be refined and tested by the Lord, CaptWalker.

Jesus Christ delivered Himself to death for our sake; all but one of the apostles were martyred, delivered into the hands of enemies. The earth runs red with the blood of saints who loved not their own life unto death. Luck has nothing to do with being chosen. 

We can fight, run, and do whatever we can to maintain a white-knuckle grip upon our own life but make no mistake: the words of God do not return to Him void. We must lose our life for His sake. 

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25)

I thought the Lord was against me, too. I was wrong.

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/15/1991

Even though I didn't quite get the answer i was hoping for, the responses have been illuminating. I now know that I'm not alone. 

One of the major problem with depression is that you see everybody else happy and only you sad and depressed. But, its good to know that you're not alone.

A big thank you to everyone that responded to the thread.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,311
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

4 hours ago, Samuel91 said:

Even though I didn't quite get the answer i was hoping for, the responses have been illuminating. I now know that I'm not alone. 

One of the major problem with depression is that you see everybody else happy and only you sad and depressed. But, its good to know that you're not alone.

A big thank you to everyone that responded to the thread.

Samuel, this might not apply to you, however please note the following:

Underactive Thyroid can cause depression, also fatigue.   I guess your doctor did a blood test on you?

Low Vitamin D can cause depression.   Again, a simple blood test will tell your doctor if you are low on the sunshine vitamin.

Have you tried walking or running in a pleasant environment (like in nature or along a quiet street)?    That can help relieve depression as it gets some feel good brain chemicals going.

Also, I hope you are not too hard on yourself.   Remember the Lord loves you, and just rest in Him.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

On 9/29/2020 at 3:01 PM, AnOrangeCat said:

Alright. Like I said it's hard to explain but I'll try.

First off I've taken part of the Bible strongly to heart. In Psalm 139:14 it says "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made". I see this as more than just the impressiveness and intricacies of the human body, but also our souls and personalities as well. Couple that with the knowledge that Jesus died for us. This gives us tremendous value in God's eyes, so we shouldn't suffer from doubts about our self worth. God knows more than we do, after all. He knows what we can be, when transformed through Christ.

As much as my depression has made me sad, numb, apathetic, and tired I also have to recognize that it's been a shield and a motivating force. That emotional numbness has helped soften the blows from things like abusive situations and the deaths of many beloved pets over the course of my lifetime. The sadness that comes for no reason at all can at times serve as fuel for creative projects or act as a bridge to others who are suffering as well.

In II Corinthians 12:6 and onward Paul mentions having a thorn in his flesh. He prayed for it to be removed several times but eventually realized that it served a purpose in his walk with God. That's how I feel about my depression. God designed us all a certain way and knew what He was doing when He crafted our personality traits and the things that would challenge us. Reflecting on that makes me feel fearfully and wonderfully made. I can look at my depression and see it as both a tool and a challenge. Don't get me wrong. I still suffer from it and sometimes lose the will to do much of anything for long stretches. But overall I feel that looking at it the way I do has been beneficial to me both personally and spiritually and made it easier to manage.

I dont see the positive in my ocd. It cripples me . It keeps me from reading the word and other stuff. I get what youre saying though.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 9/28/2020 at 8:51 AM, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom @Samuel91

Yes, I believe depression can be cured.   I say this from experience of dealing with depression for over 7 years myself.  [/quote]

Thank you for your testimony. Depression is a common enemy that too many of the children do battle with. I include myself in that statement.

I know a little bit about psychology and so I was fully aware of the treatments available (both their benefits and flaws) and was on medication to help me maintain a relatively normal life.  However, CBT, medication and other such treatments are ultimately just a temporary bandage which has to come off at some point.

That is very important. Knowing your body, and how it reacts is a great way to help your mental health professionals  and/or medical practitioners to  manage your care. You are really your own best advocate with those in those professions.

When I hit rock bottom, I turned to God with everything.  I resolved to spend all my time reading and learning the Word, one book at a time, and seeking Him in prayer.  As I done this and forced myself to pray and read the Word each day, the depression finally lifted off my shoulders and I no longer needed the medication – unto this day.  This state was secured by the baptism of the Holy Spirit, which I advise you to seek above all things.

Sometimes there is a spiritual component to mental illness. That can be the case if one is abused in any fashion. There can be physical abuse, or emotional abuse or even self abuse such as in having down suicide lane , and each requires different treatments.

<SNIP>. 

More on that matter here

I am not knocking you here,  but I am wondering how you believe that any of the Gifts from Holy Spirit (and I am assuming that you are including tongues)  can be a cure for depression because there is nothing in Scripture that supports that. I would argue that since the gifts are still available, and working that one who has depression has to be more cautious than others because glossalalia can be used to have demons curse God, and the fact that one's mind is weakened (as proved by the ways that SSNRIs work ) that there is a chemical imbalance in the brains of some (many?) having mental illness.

Indeed, you are blessed, but be cautious in how and what you share.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 9/28/2020 at 10:11 AM, Billiards Ball said:

Speaking from experience or a guess? If you haven't experienced relief, have someone counsel/pray for you who is a spirit-filled leader.

Seriously? 

How can a "trip down Charasmania Lane" with the Gifts of Holy Spirit be a cure for mental illness? There is no direct support for that statement anywhere in the Bible, nor does Paul mention self healing as any spiritual gift.

Even James, half brother of Jesus in chapter 5 of his Epistle does not  go that far.  Therefore, my caution is justified..

BTW just for the sake of clarification, I am one believing that the Gifts of Holy Spirit have not ceased, but we need to have Scripture, not wishful thinking be our guide when seeking the truth of spiritual matters.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am not knocking you here,  but I am wondering how you believe that any of the Gifts from Holy Spirit (and I am assuming that you are including tongues)  can be a cure for depression because there is nothing in Scripture that supports that.

Not gifts of the Holy Spirit, but baptism and indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I base that upon personal experience and the testimonies of others I have heard/read.

Love & Shalom 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

5 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Not gifts of the Holy Spirit, but baptism and indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I base that upon personal experience and the testimonies of others I have heard/read.

Love & Shalom 

Nothing in scripture? Second fruit of the Spirit is JOY, the opposite of DEPRESSION.

Why is the thread continuing? Depression, alcoholism, sex addiction can be permanently CURED, where not cured, EASED/HEALED/BLESSED.

Since the fruit of Spirit-filling is joy, ones should be begging for more of God's Spirit, regardless of their beliefs about spiritual gifts or a "second baptism".

JESUS, fill Tzephanyahu and all reading and participating on this thread with SPIRIT! JESUS IS LORD!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Yes. It can be cured. Even non-believers recover from it.

In my case, it had a direct spiritual attack component about it. When the occultist who was targeting me got baptised, the depression disappeared. Which was nice.