• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  409
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/25/1961

At the end of Genesis 1 God observes his creation and concludes:

'And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.' (vs 31a)

So everything God had made was very good, hallelujah! Although i wonder what you brothers and sisters think, why He in chapter 2:8 thought it was necessary to plant a garden for Adam to put in?

'And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.'
(Gen.2:8)

Thank you for thinking with me about these Bible verses.
Love, God bless you.

(Is this the right string for Gen.2:8? Please replace if not.)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

Interesting question @Frits.  What's your take on it? Any theories?

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, Frits said:

'And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.' (vs 31a)

So everything God had made was very good, hallelujah! Although i wonder what you brothers and sisters think, why He in chapter 2:8 thought it was necessary to plant a garden for Adam to put in?

'And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.'

Love, God bless you.

Hi, Frits - 

My take is this.  There are some that believe that Genesis 1 and 2 are two separate creations.  I do not believe that.  I believe, as the Bible reads that chapter 2 is a deeper and more detailed telling of day six that explains how God created the man and the woman and the purpose humanity's work.

So at the end of Genesis 1, when God proclaimed it all as "good" - he had already deemed Adam's sole existence to not be good and he had already created Eve -  Genesis 1:27, and given Adam a task of tending a garden.

There aren't two Adams nor two Eves.  

Everything in chapter 2 was already done in chapter 1.  Chapter 2 gives all the details - how they were made, their names, their jobs - none of that is told in chapter 1.

The plants that had not appeared until Adam appeared because "there was no man to work the ground" were apparently crops as the great vegetation = trees, grasses, and more were created on day 3.

So to answer your question, the garden was created in chapter 1 - chapter 2 just gives the specific details.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

11 hours ago, Frits said:

Love, God bless you.

I suppose God thought Adam would be happier in a garden than in an empty place.

• Group:  Advanced Member

Hi Tzephanyahu, Jayne and johnthebaptist, and the others, thank you for the nice reactions on my Gen.2:8 post!

I fully agree @Jayne, Gen.1 and 2 are about the same. Indeed, Gen.2 gives us more detail. For example, 1:27 says: "God created man.. male and female created he them."
In 2:7, vs.22 we can read how exactly Adam was made by God, of "dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life".
Eve was made by God, only after Adam was put in the "garden eastward in Eden". 

The necessary of the "garden" in Gen.2:8 I think for God was, to complete his saying in Gen.1:26: 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness'.
- There is a different between "image" and "likeness". Image says something about the outside, as children in face sometimes look exactly after their parents. Likeness also but goes further, it also tells about the inside, the character, the identity, the spirit.
Now our Lord Jesus says in John 4:24a 'God is a Spirit'.

Coming to the "garden" in Gen.2:8, I think God thought this the place for man to become a heavenly being, like the Lord God Himself.
In other words, his creation in 1:31a as he said was very good, but still not completed. Man he had made could work and function on earth (to dress the garden vs.15), but still not in heaven.
On the other hand, we know that our Lord Jesus was not only on earth while preaching his gospel, but also was permanently in heaven. (John 3:13b) All he was doing, he had seen doing his Father in heaven. 'The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do'
(John 5:19b)
Because of this high heavenly position (Kurios) the Lord Jesus Christ could set the people who came to him free from boundness and illness.
So he, Jesus Christ, was the better Adam, because he can exist in both, in heaven and on earth. Man made in Genesis was the natural one, who had to deal on his way into heaven with the snake and the forbidden tree, in wich he failled. The second Man was born human, but took his place in the position (likeness) of God his Father and resisted the devil. (Luke 4)
That's what Paul meant in 1Cor.15:47, "The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven."
As we read in Genesis, Adam disobeyed the word of God and ate from the forbidden tree, named in chapter 2:9. In this way "sin entered into the world, and death by sin". (Rom.5:12)
But our Lord Jesus tells us in Revelations 2:7, 
'To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.'

God bless you!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

On 12/4/2020 at 5:42 AM, Frits said:

Love, God bless you.

Good question

I guess it was Adam first home, the earth can be a harsh environment running around naked hehe.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 12/5/2020 at 7:40 AM, Frits said:

Hi Tzephanyahu, Jayne and johnthebaptist, and the others, thank you for the nice reactions on my Gen.2:8 post!

I fully agree @Jayne, Gen.1 and 2 are about the same. Indeed, Gen.2 gives us more detail. For example, 1:27 says: "God created man.. male and female created he them."
In 2:7, vs.22 we can read how exactly Adam was made by God, of "dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life".
Eve was made by God, only after Adam was put in the "garden eastward in Eden". 

The necessary of the "garden" in Gen.2:8 I think for God was, to complete his saying in Gen.1:26: 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness'.
- There is a different between "image" and "likeness". Image says something about the outside, as children in face sometimes look exactly after their parents. Likeness also but goes further, it also tells about the inside, the character, the identity, the spirit.
Now our Lord Jesus says in John 4:24a 'God is a Spirit'.

Coming to the "garden" in Gen.2:8, I think God thought this the place for man to become a heavenly being, like the Lord God Himself.
In other words, his creation in 1:31a as he said was very good, but still not completed. Man he had made could work and function on earth (to dress the garden vs.15), but still not in heaven.
On the other hand, we know that our Lord Jesus was not only on earth while preaching his gospel, but also was permanently in heaven. (John 3:13b) All he was doing, he had seen doing his Father in heaven. 'The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do'
(John 5:19b)
Because of this high heavenly position (Kurios) the Lord Jesus Christ could set the people who came to him free from boundness and illness.
So he, Jesus Christ, was the better Adam, because he can exist in both, in heaven and on earth. Man made in Genesis was the natural one, who had to deal on his way into heaven with the snake and the forbidden tree, in wich he failled. The second Man was born human, but took his place in the position (likeness) of God his Father and resisted the devil. (Luke 4)
That's what Paul meant in 1Cor.15:47, "The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven."
As we read in Genesis, Adam disobeyed the word of God and ate from the forbidden tree, named in chapter 2:9. In this way "sin entered into the world, and death by sin". (Rom.5:12)
But our Lord Jesus tells us in Revelations 2:7, 
'To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.'

God bless you!

Just thinking out loud... but man and all the creatures were completed by the 6th day... could the 7th day, where man spends time with God (only Holy Day) be symbolic of “The Garden”? 

This would be “The HolyPlace” where God and man spend their Holy time together? Also, might this Holy Place (Garden or center of Eden) be “The Place” where there were or are no other creatures present? Further, is it possible that Satan or this serpent had no right to ever be present in this “Garden” (opposed to Eden)? Did Satan disobey God be entering the “Garden” and that Eve had not realized he was not supposed to be in there (causing confusion and perhaps no reason to think this serpent was indeed evil)? Was this serpent Lucifer (before he corrupted Eve, or did he become Satan after he corrupted her)? 

Was this “Garden” the Sanctuary where only God and man were to spend time together- Holy Ground, and Satan was NOT a party to this Holy Place and had to get sin entered into this Holy Place somehow (through Adam or Eve) and thus create a situation where “this place” OR “these people / created in His Image” would corrupt it ... Satan knew God could not be present in an unholy place or with unholy creatures... 

Did Satan disobey God and enter “The Garden (not mentioned in Genesis BUT I believe we might be able to look to the Holy Sanctuary/Temple to see just who and when ANYONE can enter the Holy of Holies), to destroy this “special” relationship with God (certainly more superior than with Lucifer which he was jealous and could not accept) and now he (Satan) would have access to man to continue to corrupt his relationship with God (outside of the “Garden”)?

Just some quick thoughts... look forward to your responses and opinions, Charlie 

9 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

Just thinking out loud... but man and all the creatures were completed by the 6th day... could the 7th day, where man spends time with God (only Holy Day) be symbolic of “The Garden”? 

This would be “The HolyPlace” where God and man spend their Holy time together? Also, might this Holy Place (Garden or center of Eden) be “The Place” where there were or are no other creatures present? Further, is it possible that Satan or this serpent had no right to ever be present in this “Garden” (opposed to Eden)? Did Satan disobey God be entering the “Garden” and that Eve had not realized he was not supposed to be in there (causing confusion and perhaps no reason to think this serpent was indeed evil)? Was this serpent Lucifer (before he corrupted Eve, or did he become Satan after he corrupted her)? 

Was this “Garden” the Sanctuary where only God and man were to spend time together- Holy Ground, and Satan was NOT a party to this Holy Place and had to get sin entered into this Holy Place somehow (through Adam or Eve) and thus create a situation where “this place” OR “these people / created in His Image” would corrupt it ... Satan knew God could not be present in an unholy place or with unholy creatures... 

Did Satan disobey God and enter “The Garden (not mentioned in Genesis BUT I believe we might be able to look to the Holy Sanctuary/Temple to see just who and when ANYONE can enter the Holy of Holies), to destroy this “special” relationship with God (certainly more superior than with Lucifer which he was jealous and could not accept) and now he (Satan) would have access to man to continue to corrupt his relationship with God (outside of the “Garden”)?

Just some quick thoughts... look forward to your responses and opinions, Charlie 

Hi Charlie,

(The questions are partly the same so a gave this answer also to BeyondET)

First, the Lord God created all the angels. Like God himself, they are spirits who dwell in the heavens. One can't talk about the heavens, ignoring the presents and influence from all of their inhabitants.
In fact this is the Kingdom of God: the Lord God at the most highest place, accompanied by his angels.
The earth is in creation of the heavens, as a 'shade' from above, how it was in the beginning, how it is in present period, and how it will be. - Profets are able to see Gods timeline, sometimes writing about the future as if it were present tense. Eg.: "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6) -
By parabel the Bible tells in Ezek.28:14 how the angel Lucifer (parabel: king of Tyrus) once was on  the Mountain of God, 'till iniquity was found' in him. (v.15) For this angel wanting the seat of the Most High, (v.6) he developped iniquity and violence (v.16) and became anemy of God, he now is known as satan. Once he was with God and had 'knowledge' of good, than in evil against God.
So this angel was placed in heaven, like the tree in Eden, but then became evil. By his own actions this angel seperated himself from God and fell from his high position. This is the answer to the retoric question of the profet:
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations." (Isaiah 14:12)

(There is more to say about it but for English is not my language it goes slowely with dictionary, but please as you have concrete questions I'll try to answer them.)

God bless you Charlie.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

Hi Charlie some addition specially for you.

As we know by Rom.11:29 "For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance." The word of God is the truth and so it remains for ever.
My take on Genesis 1:26 is the Lord God spoke in: 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness', he talked to the angels. The angels already were in heaven but God wanted man also to become 'heavenly'. Even further, man not just in heaven but in the highest heaven, near himself in his throne. (Rev.3:21)
To acomplish that the angels had free acces to approach the human couple. They had to minister man, because man was the true and only inheritor of the full glorie and majesty of Jehovah God.

The good angels still are spirits on their way to serve 'them who inhared this glory', namely Jesus Christ the Son of men and all of his body the church. 
About the angels having acces to serve man, the book of Hebrews says:
'Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?'
(Hebr.1:14)
So as God permitted the angels to come near man, satan as an angel can do too. But people now need to arm itselves from this invisible danger(!), by knowledge of Gods word and have protection by the holy Spirit that the Lord God gifs to whom prays in the Name of Jesus Christ.

God bless you Charlie.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

It is clear to me that by reading the prose that the accounts in Genesis were not related to Moses and documented/written at the same time.  Genesis 2:3 ends the brief summary of creation.  Genesis 2:4 starts a retelling of the account but in a different detail.  Compare-for example-Genesis 1:30 to Genesis 2:5.