• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

For example, I enjoy watching the Real Housewives reality shows. I do also like to watch secular movies and shows. Of course they are filled with things that are not ideally Christian. But is it ok to still enjoy them?  I have to admit I find them entertaining. I would never watch something like (I won’t even use the word here).... but yes I do enjoy secular entertainment which is filled with things that are not wonderful. But then again the Bible is filled with some controversial things too. But we still read it. So.... I don’t know. What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I feel like there are three good measuring sticks to use with regards to secular entertainment. The first two are closely related.

Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Does it fit the qualifiers above? Does it turn your thoughts toward God or entice you to sin? The latter can be subtle as frequent exposure to something can cause a slow desensitization, so gradual that we don't even notice.

Romans 14:13-23 is a big chunk of text so I won't copy it here, but it's very much worth reading and taking to heart. The sentiment is repeated in I Corinthians 8. The heart of both is "Does my doing this cause fellow believers to stumble?", which is the third measuring stick.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank u

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

Yes, the Bible has controversial things in it - like murder, adultery, rape, etc.

The difference between the Bible and what comes  on television is that the TV shows glorify sin and make watching sinful things "entertaining".  Meaning - we aren't presented the ungodliness of it.  We just laugh at it, get aroused at it, gossip endlessly around the water cooler at it, think of it as hip and cool, and ENJOY it to the hilt.

When we are presented with the same thing in the Bible such as the rape of Tamar, the adultery of King David, or the murder of Abel,  we do NOT laugh or think it hip  or cool.  We cringe at it and learn how  offensive it is to God and read endlessly of the consequences of sin.

I watch television. But I do NOT enjoy shows that exalt sin.  Not because I am a goody two-shoes, but because I know what the Bible teaches about these things.  

• This is Worthy 4

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

It depends on what it is, how it is handled, etc. AnOrangeCat has already posted some excellent relevant verses. Let me add to pray about this fervently. Seek God's wisdom and guidance on it. The fact that you're wondering about it may be a sign that your God-given conscience is already convicting you of something, so consider that carefully.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

15 hours ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

For example, I enjoy watching the Real Housewives reality shows. I do also like to watch secular movies and shows. Of course they are filled with things that are not ideally Christian. But is it ok to still enjoy them?  I have to admit I find them entertaining. I would never watch something like (I won’t even use the word here).... but yes I do enjoy secular entertainment which is filled with things that are not wonderful. But then again the Bible is filled with some controversial things too. But we still read it. So.... I don’t know. What do you think?

Biblically, if your conscious prompts you (for example, you ask others' opinions on a forum) it's not right for you.

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Generally and sadly, the new 'second wave of mysticism' has infected many of our assemblies. It is a safe bet that the general viewing via TV is likewise infected. It is subtle and pervasive. I suggest shooting the TV. The 'new norm' is just repackaged gnostic thought. To be able to discern this requires some study of the nag hammadi doctrines.

While the Nag Hammadi library was an interesting find, the only "value" in the Nag Hammadi library is that the scrolls give us insight into what early "heretics" taught and practiced. Recognizing the false doctrine that plagued the early church will help us better to understand it and refute it today.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

20 hours ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

I don't have a television and I don't go to movies. I don't read secular books or listen to secular music. I don't think it glorifies God. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 2/4/2021 at 2:12 PM, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

It's okay to enjoy things that don't lead you astray. You have to be careful about that - the world is FILLED with things that can lead you astray.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 2/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

I dunno, can you handle the pagan deity days of the week?

The use of avatars in Worthy Christian Forums?

Holding back the truth when it will hurt others? Yes that dress makes you look fat... or "No..." ???

I get it that we want to be pristine as possible in this cesspool we call life... 

Especially when we have the Spirit of God in us at times to emotionally and spiritually

wondrous...

But if that was all God wanted from us he would take us out of this life upon our belief in Christ.

He has things for us to do... ministries in fact... as we are all priests of God in Christ.

That's going to involve getting some cess on you...

We are all stewards of our own walk with Christ. Some can dive into worldly scenes others never could

to do their ministry / represent God in Christ / or simply appeal to the lost.

Cancer patients relate more to other cancer patients than to anyone else.

If we are [just] to go to Church, carry our Bibles, speak only Christianese, never wacth TV or movies...

we will never come close to reaching a large segment of people God wants reached.

I am not homosexual. I do not advocate homosexuality, but I do not judge or mistreat homosexuals. I affirm

them as human beings who need a Savior just as much as I do. I do not over step my own sin to condemn theirs.

Rather, when they are curious, I share the love of Jesus with them. No strings attached. Just the love.

You will never find gay people more receptive to the Gospel in any other way.

I'm not saying you have to be gay to reach the gays... but I am saying there is a Pharisaical sanctimoniousness 

believers in God often lapse into

and I can't find anywhere in scripture that God ever applauded this kind of behavior.

Again!

I understand the reasons for desiring to live as pristine a life as possible... just don't miss out on the other things 

God wants you to accomplish. 

Pray about it / do the Gideon's fleece before the Lord (so to speak)... after all this is entirely between Him and you.

• Thumbs Up 1