IGNORED

Should Christians engage in correspondence with Bible Critics (Where & How)?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Now the reason why the word correspondence was used in stead of argument, we as Christians should preach the gospel by showing genuine love for everyone like Jesus did & not necessarily go into arguments, but now the question comes up if we engage with them, the very first thing they are most likely going to ask so why the Bible is full of contradictions & give proof that it is real, immediately changing this back into an argument, so it seems it is not wise to do this like there is many Youtube videos where Christians is being attacked & it is hard not to get in there & defend Christianity. Have really tried to engage with a couple of atheists telling them about the hope that Jesus brings, but they just come back with quotes of the Bible combined with very carefully constructed & cunning philosophies/theories & try as I might explaining each time that the verses was taken out of context with a proper explanation, but they just keep on firing their attacks with Bible verses non stop. Jesus Himself sometimes also have stopped talking to some when the conversation was just going nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hey @john smith

My personal opinion is that these debates should be avoided unless one feels specifically called to do so.

I've seen much harm done by Christians who have a gung-ho attitude to apologetics.  Whilst their motivation and bravery is admirable, if they are not prepared or called to do it they can end up doing more damage to opposition than help - sealing the Atheist in their ways.

22 minutes ago, john smith said:

Jesus Himself sometimes also have stopped talking to some when the conversation was just going nowhere.

Amen.  This calls for wisdom and Proverbs consistently reaffirms this - of knowing when to speak and when not to.  We must also consider Revelation 22:11 as well.

Again, this calls for wisdom as we don't want to become quick to dismiss someone who may just be "acting-up" as they feel under pressure of an inner conviction.  But certainly there are some who have no intention of debating with an open mind and seriously considering our views.  I've met many of those.  In those latter scenarios, it can be more fruitful to walk way - for them and for you - to prevent you from being provoked to sin in your thoughts or words.

There are two approaches one can take these interrogators.  The approach of reason, logic and apologetics and the approach of simplicity.  As I mentioned, the former approach should only be undertaken if it is a calling.  The latter approach however should be an option to every Christian. 

That latter approach is not getting into their word games, challenges, knowledge tests and provocative questions, but rather simply explaining your testimony (briefly) and explaining that you now live for the Messiah and, if necessary, die for Him - so how could you be lightly convinced on the matter?  Providing you seem reasonable, calm and at peace, I think this is the kind of response an interrogator would not expect, probably secretly admire, and make them question it more than if you came back with a witty one-liner fact from AnswersinGenesis.

I hope that helps you in some way brother.

Love & Shalom

Edited by Tzephanyahu
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, john smith said:

Have really tried to engage with a couple of atheists telling them about the hope that Jesus brings, but they just come back with quotes of the Bible combined with very carefully constructed & cunning philosophies/theories & try as I might explaining each time that the verses was taken out of context with a proper explanation, but they just keep on firing their attacks with Bible verses non stop. Jesus Himself sometimes also have stopped talking to some when the conversation was just going nowhere.

If you are willing to engage in this difficult field you need to be aware of tactics both there's and yours.

As you have said atheists will fire nonstop questions at you no matter how you answer them.

Don't play this game.

If you have answered there first objection, do not answer any other questions but remind them of their question and of your answer asking them do they understand your answer?

Put them on the defensive challenge them to show where your answer is incorrect and also ask do they accept your answer, on their confirmation you will deal with another question from them.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

47 minutes ago, john smith said:

a couple of atheists telling them about the hope that Jesus brings,

Perhaps to begin with, since you know they will try to set the stage, try asking them for their world view. Ask them to explain their belief system to you. It has to be a cohesive and well thought out and a realistic POV that they talk to you about. Ask them for the empirical studies that support their ideas. Make sure you dominate the conversation and do not play catch up when the fire things at you. You expect them to be learned in their field so ask for good peer-review documentations of their POV. Ask them to support their position with material that can be studied and understood by you. They need to be able to support their POV and not just give you second hand unsupported nonsense from middle earth (www).

That is a beginning.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

There are two reasons to share the truth with Atheists

1 is to plant a seed in them that someday might grow into faith

2. For the people who are listening (or reading) who might have their faith jostled by the atheist

but you should not argue with them. No one was ever argued into being a Christian, Just give them the word, and let the word do the work

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Next, @john smith, I would endeavor to see life from their perspective. They are not your enemy; just made in God's image like we all are. God does not need us to 'prove' Himself. He has been doing that forever. I think He wants us to come alongside people and see life thru their eyes. Perhaps if we show courtesy (but not be just another 'sucker' to them) they may loosen up to us.

In my experience, atheists and for that matter most unbelieving people, have been hurt along the way and unconsciously want to 'get back at' God. It is my particular personal truth that I have been more damaged by Christians than anyone else I can think of in my life. And that is just me. Just one old man.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

Sound advice, @john smith. I'm hard-pressed to fashion a "how to" detailing how we might approach the atheist because as our brother @Tzephanyahu reminds us, this is a calling which the Lord sets before us. @Riverwalker points out that we plant a seed, an apt description of how the Spirit of the Lord uses us in His ministry toward our unbelieving neighbor. There are many different ways in which we plant seeds, my friend. 

@Justin Adams hits closest to home where I'm concerned. I share in his experience, having been figuratively bashed upon the head by the zealous who approached me in a spirit of judgment. It went absolutely nowhere. The Lord, in the fullness of time as it pleased Him, brought me into His fold in spite of those bashings, accusations, declarations of doom, and so forth. What can I say? When the Spirit of the Lord draws near there's no denying Him!

Ah, but this is not to say that His servants failed to plant seeds, which they did. The kind soul who paid for the groceries of a mother struggling to fish nickels and dimes from her purse at the checkout line... the man who was a friend regardless of my estate... brothers and sisters who brought blankets to patients in a cancer center. These are seeds, and there comes a time when the soil is ready. 

I was the last person on earth to think the Lord would use me to minister to an atheist... a militant atheist at that. Huh? But I can barely tie my own shoes! In my case, the Lord planted me in her life which was how the ministry of His Spirit began not just for her, but also in me. The service I rendered was how I learned to listen to His voice and lean not on my own understanding (remember, I struggled to tie my own shoes in a manner of speaking). Sure, there were times when I messed up and wanted to run for the hills but the Lord commanded me to remain in place, promising that He would not abandon me nor forsake her. His will, and not ours, be done. 

So if I have any "how to" to give you here, my friend, it's this: be still and wait upon the Lord. Be a friend to your neighbor, even the atheist who truly doesn't know any better, and don't concern yourself with "winning" arguments. Our experience with God transcends the intellectual domain in which the atheist finds their refuge --- we know Him and are known by Him. The atheist is known to the Lord and they are merely waiting in the wings to know Him, too. They just don't know it yet! :)   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I would leave that up to the "professionals," so to speak. We can certainly give our testimony, but unless Bible scholarship has been an area of particular and heavy focus and gifting for us, it's unlikely we'll be able to do much good in a protracted conversation on the subject with someone who is studied in it. I would view the "common" Christian's area of influence to be more with the "common" man, if that makes sense.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

I Peter 3:15- but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hello John,

I do not think it is possible for a person to come to sincere faith by purely intellectual means. We can try and reason with people, but they will not receive what we have to say unless their heart is prepared by God to do so. We can plant, and we can water, but only God gives the increase (1 Corinthians 3:6-7). And whether or not there is an increase is determined by the type of ground wherein the seed is planted (Mark 4:14-20). Ultimately, God gives us all freewill. If someone is determined to reject Him, then they have that God-given right (Romans 1:18-25).

As for me, as long as someone is willing to rationally engage in respectful discussion, then I am willing to give them my time and effort. I do not know all of God's plans. Maybe my words will be seeds leading to fruit, or maybe God is just using the situation to sharpen my skills.

Regardless, I have learned to always, always hold the other person to account for their part in the conversation. This is not an interrogation where they ask a question, and just get to move on to something else when I answer. They have to either recognise, or rebut, my response – or else they will simply ignore it, and circle back to the same question later.

Throwing out a barrage of unsupported claims against Christianity, and ignoring all responses, is a common anti-theistic strategy. This disingenuous trolling is easy to expose by simply pointing out they have not addressed your answers. Trolls think they are being clever, but everyone reading can see they are being the opposite of clever. It is important for newer Christians to see that we attempted to engage rationally, but that the anti-theist is the one who refused to engage rationally. That way their façade of intellectual superiority is demolished. After-which we need not waste any more time on the conversation.

They do not get to set the rules of the conversation. If they want to challenge you, and you provide a response, then you are rationally permitted to stall the conversation until they recognise your argument. So the ball is in their court.

The Gospel is rationally defensible to anyone who is open to hear it.