IGNORED

Should Christians engage in correspondence with Bible Critics (Where & How)?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/29/2021 at 1:02 PM, john smith said:

Now the reason why the word correspondence was used in stead of argument, we as Christians should preach the gospel by showing genuine love for everyone like Jesus did & not necessarily go into arguments, but now the question comes up if we engage with them, the very first thing they are most likely going to ask so why the Bible is full of contradictions & give proof that it is real, immediately changing this back into an argument, so it seems it is not wise to do this like there is many Youtube videos where Christians is being attacked & it is hard not to get in there & defend Christianity. Have really tried to engage with a couple of atheists telling them about the hope that Jesus brings, but they just come back with quotes of the Bible combined with very carefully constructed & cunning philosophies/theories & try as I might explaining each time that the verses was taken out of context with a proper explanation, but they just keep on firing their attacks with Bible verses non stop. Jesus Himself sometimes also have stopped talking to some when the conversation was just going nowhere.

There are verses on stopping the argument when the person is being difficult. There are other verses on debating the facts and fighting for the faith.

I avoid most arguments by trumping them all this way, "Only perfect people go to Heaven." Most (challenging) arguments extol the goodness of the unsaved. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 3/29/2021 at 12:02 PM, john smith said:

Now the reason why the word correspondence was used in stead of argument, we as Christians should preach the gospel by showing genuine love for everyone like Jesus did & not necessarily go into arguments, but now the question comes up if we engage with them, the very first thing they are most likely going to ask so why the Bible is full of contradictions & give proof that it is real, immediately changing this back into an argument, so it seems it is not wise to do this like there is many Youtube videos where Christians is being attacked & it is hard not to get in there & defend Christianity. Have really tried to engage with a couple of atheists telling them about the hope that Jesus brings, but they just come back with quotes of the Bible combined with very carefully constructed & cunning philosophies/theories & try as I might explaining each time that the verses was taken out of context with a proper explanation, but they just keep on firing their attacks with Bible verses non stop. Jesus Himself sometimes also have stopped talking to some when the conversation was just going nowhere.

Depends on how well versed you are in apologetically defending the scriptures, how familiar you are with the scriptures, how much you personally believe the scriptures are true... and if the Holy Spirit is leading you or not. Knowing first that the Bible is of no other interpretation than that of the Holy Spirit who wrote it (2 Peter 1:20-21) and how to insure it is the actual Holy Spirit giving you the interpretation (1 John 4:1) using the scriptures to do so (Acts 17:11) will set you on the right course to learn why you believe what you believe. 

When you have accomplished all these things, and you know how to resist resorting to your own human reasoning, go get 'em!

God's ways and reasoning is not man's ways (Matthew 16:17 / Matthew 16:23). Man's way of thinking is of the devil (which is why Jesus called Peter Satan in Matthew 16:23 and called the Sanhedrin children of the devil in John 8:44). Too often those who defend the Bible or the Gospel fall prey to cultists and atheists who get them to lean upon human reason and rationale.

Proverbs 3:5–6 (AV)
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

The thing I have learned most about such atheists who claim to have questions, or want proof.  Is that they do not want answers, and they do not want proof.

They are not unaware of God, they just have chosen to be their own gods. They would be perfectly happy in their own self imposed ignorance, if we would just shut up. 

I have spent a lot of time dealing with atheists online and to a one the person claiming to be an atheist is not looking for answers, they are looking for an excuse*.

So Calmly tell them the truth, do not tell then they are taking things out of context...show them. And don't do it at all if you are not prepared. I have heard literally hundreds of so called contradictions  that are merely places where they fail to understand what the scripture is saying. Some are well prepared and you are going to have to have irrefutable answers, or they will just end up preening themselves. Some merely copy and paste what others say and have no understanding. Both are unreachable by anything but the truth of God,

Remember too that in the parable of the sower and the seed there a those who will never believe, the wayside where the good seed falls on bad ground and dies. There is no use trying to tend this ground. Let the Holy Spirit guide you as to when to take the time.

Finally, the well prepared ones will cause you to question things and it will require you to seek God.  You must have a strong abiding faith in the Word of God, for the snares they set are clever.

The best approach is merely to speak the truth and do not engage them in arguments, for they will not listen,  and very few people, especially hard core atheists, have been argued into believing.  I

If this is what you think God is leading you into then look into "apologetics"

*Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

On 3/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, john smith said:

when the conversation was just going nowhere

As I mentioned elsewhere. You must frame the conversation. Ask them THEIR belief system. Show an interest. God does not need me to prove Himself, He is able to do that well. But He calls on me to be humble and concerned for all.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

I was once in deep with these types of people and discussions. After some time I picked up on the methods and patterns different ones used. I don't consider myself gifted especially in any way. I simply prayed and asked God to show me what to say.

One of their tactics is what I'll call the bottomless answer pit. They overload you with  accusations against Christianity. One person sent post after post before I had a chance to answer his first post. All posts were eliminations of ideas using falsified information. In other words, it was up to me to disprove what he was presenting as proof. After spending more time than I really should have spent on a few of his points, he took them all, chewed them up so to speak and discarded them. No many how many answers I had it was always the same, all answers were worthless to him and were discarded. You can't gain any traction with a person who will not hear any of your responses. I finally realized the folly in continuing any discourse with this particular individual. I'm not saying they are all the same. Most appear to have similar approaches. It's really time consuming and pointless to pursue anything with these types of people.

The last atheist I addressed I used a very simple point and I kept riding it for an answer which he never had. Very simple common sense really. Who can make a leaf? Who can make even the simplest micro organisms or building blocks of life? Who can completely understand how everything in all of these works? They can't say they know how it all works because they don't know how it all works. What they actually have is an overview of how they THINK it all works. This means simply that man didn't make it. Who did then? Organization has never been proven in any way to come from disorganization and they know it. So I kept on with the question, then who made it? Is it organized? Yes. How was it organized? They will try to hang you on evolutionary "theory", yet this won't answer these fundamental questions. Time has never equated intelligent organizational constructs coming from totally disorganized compounds. Electricity has never infused life in any way although our bodies use it. Electricity has never fostered organization from nothing.

They are nowhere near the personage of Jesus Christ, they are still trying to rationalize away God , any god, so I don't put the cart before the horse here. If they can't explain away intelligent creation they have to admit a god or a being somewhere somehow made everything we see. We actually have the advantage because creation is obvious. Intelligent design is obvious. The only thing they can do is blow smoke.

I would differ with those who say all atheists are highly educated. In reality many are not that knowledgeable and instead buying into a 'line' they heard from someone else which they think gives them some credibility. Yes there are atheist scientists galore but the movement itself ( I'll call it a religion because it really is) is often attended by followers who like the doctrine and who know little or nothing of actual science.

Like I said...they blow smoke. That's what they do.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Sometimes it is throwing our pearls to the swine.  If an atheist is truly looking for answers it is possible to witness on a one to one basis.  We have won several people to the Lord in Chat.  It took one to one witnessing to them in addition to chat members engaging them.  Sometimes there was follow up after the enemy again hurled doubts at them.  In addition many more were praying for them.  God is so Good.  

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

As Paul said:
•    “I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (2Ti 4:1).

It is truth that:
•    “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables” (2Ti 4:3). 

We need to preach without verbal assaults:
•    “But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.” (Tit 3:9-11).

However, never we ought to repeal our neighbor, but contend earnestly by the faith:

•    “Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. ” (Mat 18:18-20).
•    “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” (Jude 3).