IGNORED

Is acceptable for a Christian to watch the entertainment that shows magicians conducting magic?

bartmac123

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, Justin Adams said:

There is one good reason why God says not to do divination and necromancy etc. Why?  IT WORKS. It is dangerous because there are NO good spirits that will answer these calls, just those that mean us harm in the end. VERY DANGEROUS. VERY REAL.

Another good reason not to do it is because it greatly dishonours the Lord.  It is seeking association with the powers of darkness, which are at war with God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

15 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Another good reason not to do it is because it greatly dishonours the Lord.  It is seeking association with the powers of darkness, which are at war with God.

Not exactly at war. He put them there (over the nations) that became the various pantheons. Deut 32. He did however indict them for a lousy job in Psalm 82. They will all die like men and fall like any prince.

In the meantime, the apostle to the gentiles claimed they were defeated and they could embrace the One True God thru Yeshua and leave the old 'gods' behind. (even Plato knew this much)

The Lord High God could wipe them out in a heart beat, but it suits His Purposes to do it this way. His way of Redemption since the principalities and powers have been disarmed and have all be put to an open shame by the Cross of Yeshua.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

There is one good reason why God says not to do divination and necromancy etc. Why?  IT WORKS. It is dangerous because there are NO good spirits that will answer these calls, just those that mean us harm in the end. VERY DANGEROUS. VERY REAL.

That's all fine but it does not really address something like fictional fantasy spells in Harry Potter. Those are never going to do anything. 

Our daughter loved the book series and we have all the movies. At no time ever did we worry she would be attracted to the occult. I can't speak to everyone of course, but I don't recall any spike in occult practicioners. The series did get a lot of kids to read though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, teddyv said:

That's all fine but it does not really address something like fictional fantasy spells in Harry Potter. Those are never going to do anything. 

Our daughter loved the book series and we have all the movies. At no time ever did we worry she would be attracted to the occult. I can't speak to everyone of course, but I don't recall any spike in occult practicioners. The series did get a lot of kids to read though.

Many, many young people ARE attracted to the occult, through things like Harry Potter and other programmes that glorify witchcraft.  Witches themselves have declared this; also, J. K. Rowling was careful to base her books on what she knew about occult practices.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

Many, many young people ARE attracted to the occult, through things like Harry Potter and other programmes that glorify witchcraft.  Witches themselves have declared this; also, J. K. Rowling was careful to base her books on what she knew about occult practices.

Show me.

20 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Show me.

Here's one link, amongst many.

https://www.learnreligions.com/how-wiccan-is-harry-potter-2561839

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

12 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Thanks for sharing an opinion piece with us, David. 

I'm in agreement with @teddyv in this matter which boils down to a matter of conscience. If it defiles one's conscience, then one should abstain from whatever it is. All things considered, children shouldn't be permitted to open their eyes because this world is filled with suffering, despair, murders, and unspeakable evil of all kinds which aren't fictional by any means. It's quite real. The Harry Potter nonsense is nothing compared to some of the things I've witnessed in this world. 

I'm reminded of the witch trials which were all the rage centuries ago. People were convicted of witchcraft based upon the testimony of someone's dream or irrational fear. Never forget the devout who administered these travesties of justice; they weren't Roman Catholic, and yet they shared in the horrible evil carried out by the Catholic inquisitions proving they were no better than their mother church. 

I'll never understand those who deem themselves the judge of their neighbor. They'll raise the alarm about a work of fiction but turn a blind eye toward the accusations and even libel they heap upon the head of another. I believe my brother's report and have no reason to doubt his veracity. I take him at his word and that is more than sufficient. We stand or fall by the Lord and not by the judgment of others.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,769
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, bartmac123 said:
I avoided watching Harry Potter films and also the books because I heard there is a lot of magic being conducted in the movie and in the book.  Furthermore, LOL, I'm an adult male, and Harry Potter films is nerdy stuff.
However, when Marvel Comic book movies like the Dr. Strange movie and all the Avenger movie series came out, I had mixed feelings because I really like Marvel and DC movies and cartoons.  However, Marvel characters like Dr. Strange and DC characters like Fate conduct magic in the movies and cartoons.

Is acceptable for a Christian to watch the aforementioned the entertainment even though all this magic stuff happens in them?  If no/yes, please elaborate.

The magic sorceries in the book of Revelation (Revelation 9:21) that the whole world during the end times (today) are going to be intoxicated with is technology (Revelation 18:3). These technologies are the works of peoples hands that people (today) are in love with (Revelation 9:20). The love for all this modern day stuff is deemed responsible for all the plagues in Revelation 8 & 9, which includes genocide of 1/3 of all mankind.

Revelation 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Revelation 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

Revelation 9:20  And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Edited by luigi

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry to say, but the link sounds more like a plug for the harry books by the author of the article, because the article writer kept reassuring all throughout the article, that the Harry Potter books were not real, and merely a work of fiction and not to worry. All the while saying yes, the author of Harry Potter drew upon real sorcery themes and actions to write her stories. The Harry Potter books and movies, never appealed to me, and neither did the Lord of the Rings.

Its one thing for adults to read or watch such fantasy and another for children. Children are more vulnerable to the things they see and hear around them, and are developmentally not able to make sound decisions and judgments that would keep them safe physically and or spiritually. They lack the capacity to fully understand what they are doing or the consequences.

12 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Thanks for sharing an opinion piece with us, David. 

I'm in agreement with @teddyv in this matter which boils down to a matter of conscience. If it defiles one's conscience, then one should abstain from whatever it is. All things considered, children shouldn't be permitted to open their eyes because this world is filled with suffering, despair, murders, and unspeakable evil of all kinds which aren't fictional by any means. It's quite real. The Harry Potter nonsense is nothing compared to some of the things I've witnessed in this world. 

I'm reminded of the witch trials which were all the rage centuries ago. People were convicted of witchcraft based upon the testimony of someone's dream or irrational fear. Never forget the devout who administered these travesties of justice; they weren't Roman Catholic, and yet they shared in the horrible evil carried out by the Catholic inquisitions proving they were no better than their mother church. 

I'll never understand those who deem themselves the judge of their neighbor. They'll raise the alarm about a work of fiction but turn a blind eye toward the accusations and even libel they heap upon the head of another. I believe my brother's report and have no reason to doubt his veracity. I take him at his word and that is more than sufficient. We stand or fall by the Lord and not by the judgment of others.  

Superstitious witch trials, from medieval times, are irrelevant.  Witchcraft is real, dangerous and evil.  It is on the rise and programmes like Harry Potter, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Dr. Strange and many others, are attracting youngsters to it.

I recommend you to read "From Witchcraft to Christ", by Doreen Irvine.  It is the testimony of an ex-witch, and a very powerful one, whom God saved.

P.S.  I think a video of her testimony might be available on sites like youtube.

Edited by David1701
typo
  • Thanks 1