IGNORED

Is acceptable for a Christian to watch the entertainment that shows magicians conducting magic?

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

I avoided watching Harry Potter films and also the books because I heard there is a lot of magic being conducted in the movie and in the book.  Furthermore, LOL, I'm an adult male, and Harry Potter films is nerdy stuff.
However, when Marvel Comic book movies like the Dr. Strange movie and all the Avenger movie series came out, I had mixed feelings because I really like Marvel and DC movies and cartoons.  However, Marvel characters like Dr. Strange and DC characters like Fate conduct magic in the movies and cartoons.

Is acceptable for a Christian to watch the aforementioned the entertainment even though all this magic stuff happens in them?  If no/yes, please elaborate.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

Always a discussion that brings out widely disparate views. I don't see any danger in these movies, but everyone really has to satisfy their own conscience.

Harry Potter is just made up spells, often latinized words (wingardium leviosa, confundus, crucio, etc). They are completely non-sensical fantasy type stuff. The story itself draws heavily on Christian messianic tones (though not allegorical) throughout the series, especially in the final one. The final book is far superior in bringing that out versus the movie which went for action over substance.

Dr. Strange is really just the same. Nothing there can be considered remotely real in our world. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

36 minutes ago, bartmac123 said:
I avoided watching Harry Potter films and also the books because I heard there is a lot of magic being conducted in the movie and in the book.  Furthermore, LOL, I'm an adult male, and Harry Potter films is nerdy stuff.
However, when Marvel Comic book movies like the Dr. Strange movie and all the Avenger movie series came out, I had mixed feelings because I really like Marvel and DC movies and cartoons.  However, Marvel characters like Dr. Strange and DC characters like Fate conduct magic in the movies and cartoons.

Is acceptable for a Christian to watch the aforementioned the entertainment even though all this magic stuff happens in them?  If no/yes, please elaborate.

I suppose it's okay as along as you understand that magic isn't real. Ever watch The Wizard of Oz?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, teddyv said:

Always a discussion that brings out widely disparate views. I don't see any danger in these movies, but everyone really has to satisfy their own conscience.

Harry Potter is just made up spells, often latinized words (wingardium leviosa, confundus, crucio, etc). They are completely non-sensical fantasy type stuff. The story itself draws heavily on Christian messianic tones (though not allegorical) throughout the series, especially in the final one. The final book is far superior in bringing that out versus the movie which went for action over substance.

Dr. Strange is really just the same. Nothing there can be considered remotely real in our world. 

47 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I suppose it's okay as along as you understand that magic isn't real. Ever watch The Wizard of Oz?

Why wud christians spend their time watching unGodly movie that used mantra to evoke magic n spirit n not Godly for children ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

A lot depends on conviction...for me personally it depends on the role of the magic. In harry potter, the primary focus is the magic, its all about the magic and obtaining it. It glorified msgic throughout. I personally do not like that so i dont watch them. However one of my favorite series is The Lord Of The Rings. Theres probably just as much if not more-magic in it then harry potter, however the focus is different. The magic is there more to move the plot along, while the primary focus seems more good vs evil and the individuals characters in it. In fact, the series pretty much kills magic in the end.

With the avengers...can you call what they have as magic...the avengers series makes a big deal about magic simply being "science we dont understand yet" which explains away pretty much everything but dr strange as future tech....and even with strange...well, we just dont understand it lol. And again the focus isnt on obtaining or glorifying magic, its more of just a plot device, and more of simply future science then magic.

In any case...where you sit on the issue is between you and God. Honestly any fiction probably isnt what i would say holy, but its not necessarily sin either. A lot of it is a grey area. Anything can come between you and God...even veggietales (hypothetically) if you let it become an obsession. Whats more important is whether you feel convicted or not, and whether it comes between you and God.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Why wud christians spend their time watching unGodly movie that used mantra to evoke magic n spirit n not Godly for children ?

What is mantra?

14 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Actually, magic does exist, but it is in the hands of the Lord. Remember Moses and the pharaoh?

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

18 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

I don't support Harry Potter. Is the magician involved with the occult? That would be my concern. I don't think watching a rabbit being pulled out of a hat is harmful. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

18 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

What does the Bible say about magic?  It is an abomination in the sight of the Lord.  That is really all we need to know about magic.

King David said, "I will set no wicked thing before my eyes."; but, television and the Internet have made it all too easy for us to do the opposite; nevertheless, the principle remains true.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

There is one good reason why God says not to do divination and necromancy etc. Why?  IT WORKS. It is dangerous because there are NO good spirits that will answer these calls, just those that mean us harm in the end. VERY DANGEROUS. VERY REAL.

• Thumbs Up 2