IGNORED

What do you do when a new pastor only teaches "The Milk"?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 minutes ago, Alive said:

It doesn't work that way--the inter-functioning of the Body of Christ beholding the Head is not just about knowledge--its is about Life and that Life maturing us. We are being changed into His likeness one degree of Glory to another.

Christianity is Alive and vital--just as life itself is. When I was young, I looked forward to getting old because I naively thought I would have 'arrived'.

What I have in fact learned--is that the surface has been barely scratched.

You don't have to be a pastor to be wise. As a matter of fact, some of the most foolish people I know are pastors.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.49
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

4 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

You don't have to be a pastor to be wise

Yes--I agree.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,245
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, johnthebaptist said:

When you are old and wise, who is left to teach you?

at that point I think we are supposed to be the teachers...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

31 minutes ago, other one said:

at that point I think we are supposed to be the teachers...

I would agree, except Jesus tells us not to call ourselves teachers. So we teach, though I see I still have a lot to learn from Jesus.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

16 hours ago, debrakay said:

I understand the new believers need to be taught the milk of the words of God but the older people still need the meat

First thing is to talk to him, to stress the positive and then to mention the 'but ' that mature Believers are finding the teaching lacking and could part of his sermons be to challenge them in there Christian walk.

Ask others to also have a quite word on these lines, it is only if he does not respond that you should seek a group meeting with him and any other leaders.

A preacher should be able to write a sermon that meets the needs of new believers as well as mature Believers and those in between.

In a thirty minute sermon, ten minutes to new believers, ten minutes to mature and ten minutes of application.

Different worship styles can also be accommodated, example first Sunday a rock style, second a gospel style, third a mix of trad and gospel , and forth Sunday a traditional hymn prayer sandwich.

Talk to the guy.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

16 hours ago, OneLight said:

May I suggest having two services, one for the new and young in Him and another for the older, more mature group?  I imagine it is hard to bridge the two groups in order to find a "middle ground", so to say.

That is a good idea.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,117
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, Alive said:

I think its important that pastors, teachers and preachers concentrate on expository presentation.

clapping.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

@debrakay

Well, my experience with this, in some Churches I attended in  the past, was there were usually 2 services.

One for the older more moderate believers, with the older traditional songs and teachings, and then the other service, that has more up to date songs and teachings for the younger set.

It was nice for everyone to have a choice, and I think several of the churches in my area are still having their 2 services and it seems to work really well.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 8/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, debrakay said:

We have been going to our fellowship for over 30 years and are actually part of the group who founded the non-denominational church we attend.  Last July our old pastors retired and new younger pastors came in.  They are wonderful, great people and this is their first church as senior pastors.  They have a heart for younger people and even during all of the covid restrictions were able to bring in some new young families.  But during this first year, more than a dozen couples of the older group of members left the church due to the new pastor only preaching to the new believers and nothing for the older believers.  They also changed the praise and worship to be more of a rock concert than praise and worship, also to cater to the new, young crowd.

I understand the new believers need to be taught the milk of the words of God but the older people still need the meat teachings.   Should we just be thankful the church is bringing in new believers and let the older ones move on or should we ask the new pastors to include some teachings for those who have been with the church for decades and still need some stimulating teachings?

I would love to hear your words of wisdom!

Instead of waiting that someone give us spiritual food, let's get it directly from Him that is the Bread of Life and, thus, feed multitudes by ourselves ,with the "breads" and "fishes" which Jesus multiplied in our life (Mark 6:37).

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,005
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On 8/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, debrakay said:

We have been going to our fellowship for over 30 years and are actually part of the group who founded the non-denominational church we attend.  Last July our old pastors retired and new younger pastors came in.  They are wonderful, great people and this is their first church as senior pastors.  They have a heart for younger people and even during all of the covid restrictions were able to bring in some new young families.  But during this first year, more than a dozen couples of the older group of members left the church due to the new pastor only preaching to the new believers and nothing for the older believers.  They also changed the praise and worship to be more of a rock concert than praise and worship, also to cater to the new, young crowd.

I understand the new believers need to be taught the milk of the words of God but the older people still need the meat teachings.   Should we just be thankful the church is bringing in new believers and let the older ones move on or should we ask the new pastors to include some teachings for those who have been with the church for decades and still need some stimulating teachings?

I would love to hear your words of wisdom!

@debrakay In my experience the rock concert format is often a sign that meat is not on the menu. Time to feed yourself rather than depend on the pop-culture pleasers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1