IGNORED

King James Bible

The thing that provokes me a lot is when ignorant non-believers dismiss the Bible as 'fairy stories'. I actually had a close friend years ago who said that. She was a very intelligent woman, a devoted friend but an atheist. The friendship did not last. One reason being the disrespect towards my faith that she felt so free to express. 

I am listening at present to an excellent programme on BBC Sounds, all about to the way the King James Bible was written. The very best scholars of the time worked for 7 years on the translation. It is a treasure of outstanding literary value and a delight to countless Christians.

Commissioned by a King who was also an excellent learned theologian. He cared about the Word of God being presented to all. Part of his campaign to unite Christians. 

Is it your favourite Bible? It is mine. For sheer beauty of language as well as quality of translation. 

Only a fool would dismiss our book of the Word of God. We should stand up for it strong and proud. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

It has problems but is one of the best translations we have. 

All instances of "Joshua" in the new testament king James were replaced with "Jesus"
we can see that even when it is speaking about
the old testament 'Joshua' even still the word was replaced with 'Jesus': Acts 7:43-45.

Some of the twistings of Paul's words that existed since Paul's day [Acts 20:29, 2 Peter 3:15-16]
have remained as what we call scripture in all translations.

Romans 7:23-25  correct translation as is clear from the context of chapter 6 and chapter 8:

"But I see another law in my members warring against the law of my mind,
and bringing me into bondage to the law of sin which is in my members.
Therefore with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
Oh wretched man that I am! Who shall save me from this body of death?
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and free from death."

The whole thing clearly flows better, and fits better with the surrounding context of chapter 6 and 8.

So while the King James is ok, we should still be matching scripture with scripture, old and new,
and keeping things in context, to get the full meaning and understanding of what is being said.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

non-believers dismiss the Bible as 'fairy stories'. I actually had a close friend years ago who said that.

It is one of many reasons why apologetics should be a large part of every churches teaching.

How many scholars can you list who's writings show the accuracy and reliability of the bible?

Then there are the professionals who have investigated the bible/christianity and again demonstrate its accuracy and reliability?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

The thing that provokes me a lot is when ignorant non-believers dismiss the Bible as 'fairy stories'. I actually had a close friend years ago who said that. She was a very intelligent woman, a devoted friend but an atheist. The friendship did not last. One reason being the disrespect towards my faith that she felt so free to express. 

I am listening at present to an excellent programme on BBC Sounds, all about to the way the King James Bible was written. The very best scholars of the time worked for 7 years on the translation. It is a treasure of outstanding literary value and a delight to countless Christians.

Commissioned by a King who was also an excellent learned theologian. He cared about the Word of God being presented to all. Part of his campaign to unite Christians. 

Is it your favourite Bible? It is mine. For sheer beauty of language as well as quality of translation. 

Only a fool would dismiss our book of the Word of God. We should stand up for it strong and proud. 

Its a pity you cut relation with unbelieving friends. Big mistake. Faith doesnt come easy.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I have great respect for the King James Version - I will refer to it sometimes when I have a question about translation. The problem, of course, is that the meanings of words sometimes change over time.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

37 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

The problem, of course, is that the meanings of words sometimes change over time.

I find King James difficult to read, as such I read a newer translation for initial review and return to KJV for subsequent readings.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

15 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

I find King James difficult to read, as such I read a newer translation for initial review and return to KJV for subsequent readings.

I still use the Revised Standard Version, the version they gave me in church as a boy, most of the time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I too love the beauty of the KJV. I first heard many years ago about 'scholars' in ages past who took out many words & verses in the Greek manuscript.  I've heard that the KJV is the only one that is from the textus receptus, that all modern translation do not contain all of the word of God.

Luke 2:33 was changed from Joseph to his father. Prov 30:5-Every word of God is pure

I have a 1200 page book from Riplinger called 'In Awe of thy Word' that explains how it's the most accurate, the easiest to memorize & has a built in dictionary. It almost has a musical rhythm to it. I've had others recommend Riplnger's 'New Age Bible Versions' that tells how corrupt the other versions are. I've downloaded 51 Reasons Why the King James: A Path fom Doubt to Faith. English ESL & reading used to be taught from the KJV. 

It's the 7th revision of the English bible. Psalm 12:6 -The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 

Deu 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 

19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 

Edited by Faith-Not-Fear

36 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

Actually I do too. I used NLT as a rule, but often read King James too. We are so lucky to have so many ways and access to God's Word. No excuse for anyone on Judgement Day that they didn't have choices! 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,825
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I was raised on the 1769 version of the King James.  It's a good translation.  But as someone else has said here, some of the word meanings have changed.  And remember, there are about 7,000 - 8,000 marginal notes [at least in the older printings] that show certain words were difficult or impossible to translate.

But, it's a good Bible.  The ESV and NIV are my primary translations, but I do have a 1769 King James.

As  for the 1611 King James - I find it very difficult to read.  Here are some samples.

• John 3:16 [KJB 1611] = "For God so loued þe world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life."
  • Genesis 1:26 [KJB 1611] = "And God said, Let vs make man in our Image, after our likenesse: and let them haue dominion ouer the fish of the sea, and ouer the foule of the aire, and ouer the cattell, and ouer all the earth, and ouer euery creeping thing that creepeth vpon the earth."

The 1611 and 1769 are different not only in spelling, but also in a few places - in context.

REMEMBER!!  The King James was translated from newer manuscripts.  Modern translations were translated from the oldest manuscripts we have that were found centuries after the King James was translated.

Read your Bible.  Choose your own version within reason.  

READ YOUR BIBLE.

And read it in peace.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1