• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

How, Then, Shall We Live? (Luke 22:31-38)

Our job in this life is to serve the Lord - Love Him, Obey Him

Practically, we should be telling others about Jesus, - the Gospel

We should be doing his will -  part of that if becoming familiar with His will.

That involves a life of reading His word - the clearest way to hear his voice, and we should be praying, talking to God. We cannot have much or a relationship without two way communication.

We need to love others. We do that by encouraging them, enjoying their company, and generally doing things that are beneficial to them.

We need to live holy lives. That means that we need to live lives that are different from the world at large. That might be the hardest part for us.

The world has so much to offer us, some of it is good. God gives us good things. He loves the world enough to give them good things. Not everyone is thankful for what they have, that is one of the things that should make us different, that we are thankful to our Source, to He who is our Provider.

We should be having fellowship with other believers, encouraging them, being encouraged by them, helping them, and being helped by them.

Hanging out with other people, alters our character, that is something we need to be careful about. We tend to imitate the behaviors of those we hang out with. We can be tempted to act like them, talk like them, and in general, do what they do.

For this reason, we should cultivate an awareness that as believers, Jesus is with us also. Before we act, before we speak, we should try to me mindful of Jesus' presence, and act like Him, more than we act like our friends. If we want to act like our friends, we should act like the ones who act the most like Jesus.

What to our friends say? Do they say spiritual things, or does filth and bitterness come out of their mouths?

What do we and they do for fun? Do we go bar hoping? Do we go to movies, that depict a lot of worldly behavior, or do we do things that we would do with Jesus as our guest? Do we eat to the glory of God, or do we pig out on junk food, valueing pleasure more than nutrition that shows that we care for the bodies we have, God's temple?

I am resolving to attemp to improve my life. Changing some of my habits, developing some new ones.

I'd like to hear some ideas that you have, in general terms or even in specific ways, on how we might improve ourselves (with God's help of course, without Him, we can do nothing). 

This need not be a confessional, and I do not suspect that everyone will be looking forward to admit their short commings, nor commit to improvements they may not keep. Rather, I hope to see people offering suggestions, and people recognizing some of the areas they could improve in their lives, and was all can join in in the atc of praying for each other, in our own time, our own hearts, and in our own ways, knowing that God hears our prayers, and grants them when they are in His will.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

What you're saying is true, but we are not all equally endowed with the spiritual gifts that enable us to be effective ambassadors of Christ.

Not going to disagree with that, people are gifted differently. However, gifts or not, we should endeavor to do what we are supposed to be doing. Sometimes, our actions are as important as words, especially if people know why we are as we are.

For examples, I do not have a gift of hospitality, but I should be hospitable. I am not gifted as an evangelist, but it is still my responsibility.

1 Pet 3:

14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Being ready to give an answer, is a matter of knowing the answer, then speaking what you know. Even if we are shy, and tongue tied, we can carry a gospel tract, and hand it out. Most people are fully capable of memorizing and least a few, relevant scriptures.

Are we embarrassed? Why should we be, our faith is nothing to be ashamed of, in fact, this comes to mind:

Luke 9:

For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Not a good thing! I understand fear. I am not saying that you are afraid, I am saying that fear does prevent some people from speaking up. I say these things for any who happen to read this thread, not singling anyone out.

There is however, One to be afraid of, Luke 12:

4“I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. 5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear Him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell.  Yes, I tell you, fear Him

It is said, that "do not be afraid" and "fear not", "be of good courage" etc. is said 365 times in the Bible.

We are to love others! One fact that disturbs me about myself, for than any, is that there are untold numbers of people who I have not told about Jesus. More that those who I have told. I cannot tell every one, but I have no excuse to not tell anyone.

One of the most profound and convicting things I have ever heard, was spoken by an atheist!

If you believe that there is a heaven and hell and that people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life or whatever, and you think that, well, it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward... How much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? 

I have to say, that obviously, I hate a lot of people!

For those of you, who like I, do not evangelize as we should, I ask:

Lord, give us the courage, the conviction, and the actions and words to get you message out to a world that is dying all around us. Help us to know what to say, and how to say it. Lead us to those who need the message we have, and lead them to us. Create the circumstances that make it natural for us to respond this way, make it obvious to us, indeed, give us your very words. Help us to learn from you, help us to realize, that you never ask anything of us, that you have not given us the power to accomplish.
Amen

I would add, that it is not our responsibility to convince others, it is God's responsibility to convict them. Our job, is to just tell them.

Thanks Saved.One, for providing an opportunity to discuss this topic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

Ephesians 5:6  Let no one deceive you with empty words: for because of these cometh the wrath of God upon the sons of disobedience. 
7  Become not therefore partakers with them; 
8  for ye were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord: walk as children of light 
9  (for the fruit of the light is in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 
10  proving what is well-pleasing to the Lord; 
11  and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them; 
12  for the things done by them in secret it is a shame even to speak of. 
13  But all things when reproved are manifested by the light: for everything manifested is light. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

Romans 12:9  Let the love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cleave to what is good. 
10  In brotherly love tenderly affectioned one to another; in honour preferring one another; 
11  in diligence not slothful; fervent in the spirit; serving the Lord; 
12  rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing steadfastly in prayer; 
13  communicating to the needs of the saints; pursuing hospitality. 
14  Bless the persecutors; bless, and curse not. 
15  Rejoice with the rejoicing; weep with the weeping. 
16  Be of the same mind one toward another. Set not your mind on the high things, but condescend to the lowly. Become not wise in your own eyes. 
17  Render to none evil for evil. Take thought for things honourable in sight of all men. 
18  If possible, as much as in you is, be at peace with all men. 
19  Avenge not yourselves, beloved, but give place to the wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will recompense, saith the Lord. 
20  But if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for doing thus thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head. 
21  Be not thou overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

8 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Hanging out with other people, alters our character, that is something we need to be careful about. We tend to imitate the behaviors of those we hang out with. We can be tempted to act like them, talk like them, and in general, do what they do.

For this reason, we should cultivate an awareness that as believers, Jesus is with us also. Before we act, before we speak, we should try to me mindful of Jesus' presence, and act like Him, more than we act like our friends. If we want to act like our friends, we should act like the ones who act the most like Jesus.

This is good stuff and something that I have had to be careful of. I am one who has over many years befriended many who are lost and have taken opportunity to give reason for the hope that is in me....because of the way I treat people and generally react in situations and to things said, people tend to like me. Its the lost that need Christ, but we need to be very aware of what you have laid out.

Hearing course conversation and such is very trying---it grieves and one can only take so much.

Over the last few years since moving here, my wife and I have had much opportunity to be help to widows, a widower now and those much older. Some are believers and some aren't. Sometimes you can't be sure. One never knows how the LOrd will use kindness and service. I will offer this---there are ample opportunities if we are looking and willing to stretch out some.

There is a neighbor who knows of some of this. He has been exposed to christianity, but has held the Lord at arms length. i spoke with Him about who I am 'In Christ' and a couple weeks ago, he said he wants to sit by a fire and pick my brain. I said that I would like that. Now he reaches out to me and texted me the other day to see how I was feeling, as I've been down with covid.

This same one asked me for advice about an old friend of his that is in a bad way....ya never know how the Lord will grab a soul.

• Loved it! 1