• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

What does this mean.  “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God,”

what does ‘hearing’ God’s Word mean?

like does, this, for example, mean that the more I play Audiobible in the background, since my ears are “receiving’ the noise, that my faith is growing?

What does this verse mean?

Like what does actually ‘hearing’ God’s word mean?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

7 minutes ago, Tyler22 said:

like does, this, for example, mean that the more I play Audiobible in the background, since my ears are “receiving’ the noise, that my faith is growing?

Romans has the theme of faith (Romans 1:16–17). Paul addresses the process by which faith is produced in the heart in Romans 10:17: “Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”

The first eight chapters of Romans contends with the ideas of positional salvation through faith (Romans 1:18—5:21), the process of growing in holiness through faith (Romans 6:1—8:17), and the future glorification Christians will receive because of faith (Romans 8:18–39). Chapters 9—11 of Romans works from the implied question, “Has God then failed to fulfill His promises to Israel?”

It is within this context that Paul gives the reason for the Israelites’ lack of salvation; namely, they lack faith (Romans 9:32; 10:4). The Israelites are saved through faith in Christ, just like the Gentiles. Eternal salvation does not distinguish between Gentile or Jew but is received through belief in the person and work of Jesus Christ (Romans 10:12–13; 1 Corinthians 15:1–8; Galatians 3:23–29).

In the lead-up to the statement that faith comes by hearing, Romans 10:14–16 explains the requirements for a series of actions to take place. In order for one to “call on the name of the Lord,” he or she must believe. In order to believe, one must hear (or receive the report). In order for one to hear, another has to give the report. And that other won’t give the report unless he or she is sent.

Paul continues in Romans 10:17 to summarize the argument thus far: “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ” (NASB).

“Faith” is translated from the Greek word pistis, which means “belief, trust, or confidence in someone or something.” It is key to the book of Romans and is used 40 times in the book—three of those occurrences appearing in chapter 10. The verb form of the word is also used 21 times within the book and most often translated as “believe.”

If faith comes by hearing, then what does Paul mean by “hearing”? In this context, it is not simply the physical receiving of sounds by the ear as most English speakers would understand the term. “Hearing” seems to designate something more—the receiving or acceptance of a report. Note the use of the word, translated “message” in Romans 10:16, as Paul quotes Isaiah 53:1: “Lord, who has believed our message?” In Isaiah’s day, the Lord had provided Israel with a message, but the prophet laments that few actually received it. The “hearing” was not attached to simple sounds but to a message or report given. In Romans 10, Paul makes the point that the good news has been given and the people of Israel have heard (Romans 10:18).

The nature of the gospel is a report: a report of God saving people from the wrath they deserve. In order to believe the report, one must receive the report! Faith comes by hearing. It is not a guarantee that the report will result in faith, as Paul makes clear in Romans 10:16. For just as the Israelites refused to believe the message of Isaiah, every human today can refuse to believe the message of the gospel.

The nature of “hearing” also does not require the physical act of hearing with the ear. The report simply needs to be received. For instance, someone could read the gospel through GotQuestions.org and receive it by faith, without an audible word being spoken. As long as the message can be received fully, the medium does not affect the outcome. The content of the message must be “the word about Christ.” As Paul states in 1 Corinthians 15:3–5, the message is “that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve” (NASB). Faith that leads to eternal salvation comes after “hearing”; that is, after receiving this message concerning Christ.

https://www.gotquestions.org/faith-comes-by-hearing.html

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

16 minutes ago, Tyler22 said:

What does this mean.  “

Outside the Word of God a person cannot be saved ,you have to hear (really hear with open ears and a open heart  ) the Word of God which calls you to accept Jesus as your personal Savior. If you really hear and understand the word of God ,you will accept Jesus as your Savior by faith and you shall be saved ,so faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

The Word Brings Salvation
…16But not all of them welcomed the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?” 17Consequently, faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18But I ask, did they not hear? Indeed they did: “Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”…Romans 10:16-18

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Faith comes by hearing,

and hearing by the rhema of God (Greek).

Rhema tends to mean a spoken word, not a written word. Of course deaf people cannot hear the spoken word, yet they come to faith. The disciples were told to go out into the world to preach the gospel, and that has been God's primary means of spreading His message. This if true from the book of Genesis, through to the book of Revelation.

Prior to the invention of the printing press, the spoken word was practical, the written word not so much. Of course that is no longer the case, and there is no need to limit our thinking to hearing only.

God's message is not limited to writing or speaking, it is available no matter how God's message is introduced you your heart, where you then either receive it, or reject it.

Look at the context of Romans 10:17, go back just a few verses, and you will see what Paul was speaking to:

8But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

14How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?c And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15And how are they to preach unless they are sent? 

There is no need to limit ourselves to reading or hearing, receive His word however you can! I think here, that "hearing", is to understand and accept His word, to receive it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.64

1 hour ago, Tyler22 said:

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Matthew 4:2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

Matthew 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

He that hath an ear can understand not just the words but the story and the plan of God.  He that doesn't is always learning and never coming to understanding.  

I think I learned most of the bible by listening to it while I slept.  I slept to it every night for a few years and I think I learned more that way because I didn't have 'myself' getting in the way of His words and His story.  

The difference between 'wanting' to read and study and 'being taken captive' by it for me was the difference between 'hearing' and hearing and understanding, and hearing and understanding and never able to get enough, don't call me, don't text me, not hungry, don't want anything for days.  The more I learn the more I realize how little I know and I won't have barely scratched the surface by the time I shed this tabernacle and go to be with the Lord.  

I can't listen to it in the back ground, as it soon becomes the ONLY ground, and 8 hours later I have spent another day not doing any of the things I was supposed to do. 

D

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

23 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

Or put another way: 

So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ. Romans 10:17 RSV 

I guess Paul is telling us that we acquire faith from what we are told. But we don’t magically absorb what we are told – we must listen.

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 11/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, Tyler22 said:

To hear the word that comes out of the mouth of the Creator.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Wuest said:  "It is the publication of the gospel which produces belief in it (Alford). That is, as the gospel is preached in the power of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit engenders faith in the gospel message in the hearts of those elected to salvation."

Joh 6:63  It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.   

It is in receiving God's word as truth concerning Christ, His atonement for our sins by His own blood, and receiving Him as God having come in the flesh and suffered in the flesh. This is the word that saves.

Jesus told Peter: Mat 16:17  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

It is God who enlightens us, enables us to believe and to trust the message.  Just hearing does no good without the power of the Holy Spirit to make it alive and real to us.  Yes God can use your recording, but does He?   We must be listening intently, searching for answers, seeking God.  He who seeks, finds.  Then, having heard, are we willing to believe?  Most of the world is unwilling to believe God's word.  

To him who has, more will be given.  To him who has not, even that which he has will be taken away.  These are those who are unwilling to believe the little they do understand.  They have hardened their hearts.

Heb 4:12. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  586
  • Content Per Day:  0.56

If you are a person who never heard of God, never been to church and heard what is being preached, how is that person able to be saved?

If you are a person who stumbles into Church, listens to what the Preacher is saying, now that person has some clue to knowing a small portion of who God is.   That is more than enough for God to give Faith to that person to Believe in God.   Therefore, that person Heard the Word being preached, which [caused] the chain reaction to where God granted them Faith to Believe.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

On 11/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, Tyler22 said:

It is the word in us, revealed, and enlightened by the Holy Spirit, that once spoken will generate the faith needed for salvation. If you read just before that verse this is pointed out

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?