• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

This all about the failed RCC doctrine of Immaculate Conception. They had to invent a way to keep Mary from being a 'sinner' because the silly Augustinian doctrine of original sin caught them between a rock and a hard place.

One dumb idea leads to many others.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I've lost track of the times I've read or listened to the Bible and I don't recall anything in either testament that would give any idea that Joseph was married prior to Mary or had any other offspring  until Jesus was born...  I know some Catholic Friends who believe that but they can not site any scripture supporting it.  It appears that the Catholic Church made it up to support part of their Doctrine about Mary.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, Willa said:

I have never seen this taught by Catholics that Mary is a higher god than Jesus.  The Catholic Church has always taught the Jesus is fully man and fully God, and that his humanity came from Mary.  They just teach that she was born without sin and didn't have sex.   They think Mary already ascended to heaven and is now called the queen of heaven, and that she intercedes for Catholics.  This is contrary to Scripture that says Christ is the only intermediary between God and man and is our intercessor.  There is nothing that says any dead person or saint can intercede for or help anyone.  We should only pray to God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  We should never pray to angels or people.  There are people who pray to their dead relatives.  The Bible states this very sinful and calls it praying to familiar spirits.  

This concept is called mariolatry.   If you ever travel to Europe and visit churches, cathedrals and museums, the number of artworks featuring Mary as more than an earthling, a female, who was blessed to carry in her womb the son of God is mind-blowing.  But as the Catholic Church elevates Mary, it is of note to be reminded of the following: Peter, whom the Catholics incorrectly identify as the "original Pope," never mentions Mary even once in his two letters  She is mentioned in only 5 of the 27 books of the Greek Scriptures. Although she is spoken of in the Gospels with respect and favor for her humble role as the mother of the Messiah. Indeed, Mary was a loving and tender person who understood the sufferings of womanhood (she lost her husband at a relatively young age and had to endure watching her son die in an agonizing way).The Bible allows us to respect and even love Mary as a faithful disciple of Jesus. (Acts 1:14) The Scriptures clearly show that Mary, as an anointed Christian, would be “raised a spiritual body,” to “inherit the kingdom of God,” together with the 12 apostles and other faithful first-century Christians.—1 Cor. 15:42-54; 1 Thess. 4:13-16.  However, nowhere does the Bible authorize us to adore Mary or to pray to her for intercession, nor to be venerated. Prayers should be addressed to God, through Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

On 2/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Ever so often I come across articles and commentaries about how Joseph most likely had a previous marriage with other children prior to Mary.  I have always wondered where they get that from.  After doing some research, I found no scripture or historical evidence, that supports this claim.  Also, I found out where this teaching primarily comes from.  This was and still is a doctrine taught in Catholic churches.  They teach that Jesus was the only child of Mary even though scriptures says otherwise. Scriptures tell of Jesus having several brother and sister siblings.  The Catholic Church teaches that Mary is a type of divinity (Goddess/Mother of Heaven) therefore any children born from Mary would have a divine nature as well, like Jesus.  Since none of her other children were divine they claim they were from a pervious marriage by Joseph.  They teach that Mary remains a virgin (perpetually) meaning she never had sex while on earth, hence no other children.  The fallacy with this teaching is that they have elevated Mary as a divinity above Jesus and therefore meaning the source of Jesus's divinity comes from Mary.

Have any of you ran into people claiming this?  It was not too long ago on this forum I was debating a catholic who was stating this.

The tragedy of this is simply 99% of catholics do not study scripture. They only hear the church dogma, the catechism. Ask any catholic you know or encounter biblical questions concerning confession of sin, penance or purgatory, el popos role as "God's representative" on earth with inherited  authority. Joseph's and Mary's children, reason no priests marry, Mariolity etc etc. The vast majority can give no scripture to explain.

As an ex catholic with most of my relatives still catholic, when I have ever tried to show what God's word says contrary to RCC church dogma, they honestly believe I am attacking their  loyalty to the one 'true' church, and I commit a MORTAL sin. They may or may not be devout in participation in the sacraments, church attendance or regular confessing sins to their priest etc, but woe to them that attacks their holy mother church.  They have a blind loyalty to the church family tradition, and the RCC takes advantage of it.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,
lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God,
should shine unto them"  
2 Corinthians 4:3-4

• Well Said! 1

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

On 2/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, Sower said:

As an ex catholic with most of my relatives still catholic, when I have ever tried to show what God's word says contrary to RCC church dogma, they honestly believe I am attacking their  loyalty to the one 'true' church, and I commit a MORTAL sin. They may or may not be devout in participation in the sacraments, church attendance or regular confessing sins to their priest etc, but woe to them that attacks their holy mother church.  They have a blind loyalty to the church family tradition, and the RCC takes advantage of it.

Its sad that people get trapped into false doctrine and if they question their teachings they are labeled as committing an unforgiveable sin aka heretic.  This is how most cults and false religions operate.  Messiah warned us repeatedly about false prophets and teaches that appear as sheep but are actually wolves.  Also, Messiah warned us about the leaven of the Pharisees which are the doctrines and teachings of men that nullify the commandments of God.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

The Catholics are trapped here by their theology - theology that is based partly on over-veneration of Mary (the doctrine of her immaculate conception) and partly on the limited biological knowledge of the early Christian theologians. Their problem is that, according to this understanding, any child born of Mary (not only Jesus!) would have been without sin. Therefore, they argued, Mary could not possibly have been "allowed" to have other children.

I learned this from a Catholic

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  5

“And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:24-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“When Joseph woke up, he did what the Lord’s angel told him to do. He married Mary. But Joseph did not have sexual relations with her until her son was born. And he named him Jesus.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:24-25‬ ‭ERV‬‬

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

If this was the case i.e. Mary being a goddess, then why would Christ address her in the following way "3  And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. 4  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. 5  His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it."? (KJV John 2:3-5)And secondly why is she not part of the Holy Trinity?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 2/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Ever so often I come across articles and commentaries about how Joseph most likely had a previous marriage with other children prior to Mary.

And if my Grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Poppycock. Pay it no mind. Attention is all these types seek.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

"Have any of you ran into people claiming this?  It was not too long ago on this forum I was debating a catholic who was stating this."

I think  only on the web never first hand with people. Not something I came across in my searching studying lol. Like the bother said I would give no mind to it.