• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

15 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

So often i read about the desperate christians coming into many Christian Forums, telling people of their hopeless situation, jobless, homeless, abused by family and needed to get out of the house, etc. and the only place they could find is the Christian Forums, NOT THE CHURCH.

15 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

If your church cannot do this howbeit you people can shelter them at your beautiful house.

Some people are truly in need and are grateful for help given. But then there are people that leave you shaking your head. Yrs ago, a church I did not attend, reached out to a young woman that needed a place to stay. Since she did not have a job, she was asked if she would be willing to do housework for an elderly lady plus stick around the house at night in case there was an emergency during the night. In return, she would have a roof over her head, food in her belly and a warm place to sleep for free.

The agreement on her part, lasted 3 weeks. The same church went through almost a dozen people before they said, no more. These “needy” people ate this poor woman out of house and home, ran up her phone bill through talking to people long distance for hours, stole money from her, etc...

Not one of these people stuck around as agreed to, plus took advantage of the hospitality in the worst way. The last people to be given a place to stay was an older married couple, who were in financial trouble and unable to come up with rent money. They went out often without telling anyone. The elderly lady fell in her home and broke her hip and laid there on the floor for a long time, with no way to call for help. None of the neighbor's knew the couple had even left the house. So there was no one to check up on her.

My mom, opened up her home to a homeless woman, that we had met at a doctor's office. And the first thing this woman did, was make over a 100 hundred dollars worth of long distance phone calls the first night of her stay. What kind of person does this to an elderly person who has given them not only food, but clothes, and a bed... plus shower when she wanted to? The woman left on her own after a week of this, for what she thought was a bigger catch. I told my mom, don't let her come back. I was truly concerned for my mom's safety and well being.

When people in general speaking have experiences like the one's I've just spoken of, we can't blame them for exercising some caution where their homes and families are concerned. There are multiple ways in which we can help the needy get the help they need.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,462
  • Content Per Day:  7.13
  • Days Won:  99

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. (Romans 8:28-30 NASB)

Pointing fingers, casting accusations, and assigning blame is the custom of this world of men. Do you not know that we will suffer affliction, trial, and tribulation upon this earth, @R. Hartono? Whatever befalls the beloved of the Lord proceeds according to His will and purpose.

The servant of his neighbor does not make demands of those whom he serves but rather, looks after their needs as he is able. And he is indeed able, for he stands or falls by the Lord God Almighty. Who are we to judge the servant of another? As the Lord warns us all, 

Do not slander a slave to his master,
Or he will curse you and you will be found guilty.

(Proverbs 30:10 NASB)

You assume much, friend. It's not that we are "tired" of encountering the same complaint in topic after topic (this is not the first one you've created in this vein), but these assumptions are driven by a sense of entitlement and a grumbling spirit. This is grieving to witness. 

We are only entitled to what the Lord sees fit to provide. I wandered without a place to rest my head for a very long time, Hartono. I was penniless and yet wherever I found myself, the Lord saw fit to provide for my needs. I was ignorant of His purpose and will but even in blindness, I did not issue demands upon my neighbor nor the Lord Himself. I had no means of knowing that my seemingly aimless path led me ever closer to that work which Christ preserved me for. Step by step, I moved closer to the fulfillment of His promise not only to me, but to a precious soul whom He loves like no other. 

It was good that I suffered, for all things work together for the benefit of those who are called by His name. Elijah despaired of living, and Paul endured tribulation and hardship while he carried out the will of Christ who chose him. All of the apostles were persecuted and all but one was martyred, Hartono. 

We are only entitled to what the Lord Himself provides. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  0

We must remember if we are going to become as Christ it starts with us first. Never be quick to point the finger until we first search ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, appy said:

Some people are truly in need and are grateful for help given. But then there are people that leave you shaking your head. Yrs ago, a church I did not attend, reached out to a young woman that needed a place to stay. Since she did not have a job, she was asked if she would be willing to do housework for an elderly lady plus stick around the house at night in case there was an emergency during the night. In return, she would have a roof over her head, food in her belly and a warm place to sleep for free.

The agreement on her part, lasted 3 weeks. The same church went through almost a dozen people before they said, no more. These “needy” people ate this poor woman out of house and home, ran up her phone bill through talking to people long distance for hours, stole money from her, etc...

Not one of these people stuck around as agreed to, plus took advantage of the hospitality in the worst way. The last people to be given a place to stay was an older married couple, who were in financial trouble and unable to come up with rent money. They went out often without telling anyone. The elderly lady fell in her home and broke her hip and laid there on the floor for a long time, with no way to call for help. None of the neighbor's knew the couple had even left the house. So there was no one to check up on her.

My mom, opened up her home to a homeless woman, that we had met at a doctor's office. And the first thing this woman did, was make over a 100 hundred dollars worth of long distance phone calls the first night of her stay. What kind of person does this to an elderly person who has given them not only food, but clothes, and a bed... plus shower when she wanted to? The woman left on her own after a week of this, for what she thought was a bigger catch. I told my mom, don't let her come back. I was truly concerned for my mom's safety and well being.

When people in general speaking have experiences like the one's I've just spoken of, we can't blame them for exercising some caution where their homes and families are concerned. There are multiple ways in which we can help the needy get the help they need.

I've witnessed the same here at the transitional housing program for the homeless where Christ placed me to serve others. 

I cannot force a client to make good use of the many resources which we provide. I can only counsel those committed to my care, having walked in their shoes for many years, exhorting them to seize the opportunity provided to them by the Lord. He has given them a safe place featuring a roof, food, and plentiful opportunities to confront their challenges one step at a time. It's my honor to safeguard their health and well-being while they are with us, ensuring that their needs are met in a timely manner. 

How many have we lost? There are some who believe their stay is an opportunity to indulge in their drugs of choice and commit acts that ensure their expulsion from this work which is approved of the Lord. I am first and foremost their servant, but I am also an investigator and enforcer. In the beginning I struggled with the enforcement aspect of my calling here, @appy. The Lord hears me and so He rendered judgment:

I not only serve the clients of this nonprofit, but I also serve those whom the Lord placed in authority. There is a time to offer a shoulder to lean upon, and a time to carry out the will of my superiors. This pleases Christ who called me, for He intended my investigative skills to serve them well.

If there is contraband, I will find it.
If there is wrongdoing, I will uncover it. 
And where there is contraband and wrongdoing, I am faithful to deliver the report to my superiors. I've been commended for this very thing a number of times. 

Of course I weep for these, my friend. I remember them all, but I trust in the Lord who called me by His name. We do what we must. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

7 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Can we amend that to read, "How you congregation helps the homeless is really up to that congregation?" 

Many congregations. 

One Church. 

so very true. praise God. thank you

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,316
  • Content Per Day:  1.70

On 2/15/2022 at 11:29 PM, Josheb said:

Can we amend that to read, "How a congregation helps the homeless is really up to that congregation?" 

Many congregations. 

One Church. 

No, because it is a church that I belong to, that supports other churches in there charitable work.

it is merely a word that means a group of Christians committed to service, while congragation means those people who are gathered to worship etc, it has no meaning towards commitment.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.42
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

10 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Please read through the entire post before responding. 

How many churches are there in the Church? 

How many congregations are there in the Church? 

The word "church" or "ekklesia" simply means those who are "called out". How many different called-outs do you find being mentioned in the Bible? Are not all the ekklesias mentioned in the Bible part of the same ekklesias? Are not all those called out by God all called out by the same God in the same way for the same purpose (God's purpose). 

Do you see any difference between the ekklesia and the body of Christ? Is there a difference between those called out by God and those who are the body of Christ?  

This is an excellent point that all of us can benefit from….IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The ekklesia is present where the Lord placed me in this city. What?

Yes, because I'm not the only one here called by the Lord. There are brethren who work with me, and brethren whom I serve. This nonprofit organization is funded by a wide variety of donors; I especially enjoy those occasions when a group of brothers visit our clients. It's my honor to provide them with everything they need while they're here because that's what I do: I'm a servant. 

They work together in a ministry devoted to serving the needy and homeless. In truth, the Church is everywhere in this world.    

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/15/2022 at 7:04 AM, other one said:

Communities sustained by the citizens can have much more efficient places besides inside a church.    And multiple groups can fund the operation.   We have around 30,000 people in our small city and documented 600 homeless that live here permanently besides those with homes but have serious needs. That's one out of every 50 of us.   A county wide food bank where people can shop for free if they are in need...   and it's partially backed up by several larger churches.  We have places for them to sleep if they are not on drugs (including alcohol)

This city has close to a million inhabitants but there is a network of shelters, facilities operated by churches (like an evangelical halfway house not too far from here), hospitals (like the VA), and so on which work together to serve those in need. 

Our transitional housing program has specific requirements mandated both by law and our donors --- for example, we house families here so applicants with sex offenses on their record can't stay --- but this doesn't mean that a potential applicant is cast out without resources to call upon.

We have a no tolerance policy for drug and alcohol use, which is often the violation which requires the expulsion of a program resident. I dread finding liquor and syringes in our residential units. I pray for them. 

The same holds true for clients who violate the program policies for other offenses and are discharged from our care... one of our case managers works under a number of different grants, so he can look after applicants who otherwise can't stay. This includes clients who are expelled due to substance abuse. 

The Lord provides in so many different ways, it's impossible to cover it all. 

Edited by Marathoner

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 2/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, Marathoner said:

You assume much, friend. It's not that we are "tired" of encountering the same complaint in topic after topic (this is not the first one you've created in this vein), but these assumptions are driven by a sense of entitlement and a grumbling spirit. This is grieving to witness. 

Amen! I am glad someone said it!