IGNORED

WE ARE IN CHRIST NOW, BUT SHOULD WE STILL NOT KEEP THE MORAL LAW?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

In Deuteronomy 24:1-4 it talks about how if a man is married and divorces her, and she goes on to marry someone else (and has sex with him), then the 2nd husband also divorces her, the first man she married would not be aloud to remarry her, as she has been defiled.

This is an example of a bigger question I have, in Christ we are free from the law, but, with laws like this, and probably many others, should we not still keep laws like this? I get it might not condemn us anymore like it did before Jesus, but is it not still right that we abide by them as best as we can?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Open7 said:

in Christ we are free from the law, but, with laws like this, and probably many others, should we not still keep laws like this?

We freed from the penalty of the Law and now free to follow it, in truth and by the Spirit. We can choose not to, but what do you imagine the reception will be for those who purposely turn their face away from the Law? 

If a prisoner is freed from jail, he isn't then free to ignore the law and act as he wishes. If his freedom was awarded as a graceful gift, it wasn't given to him because he obeyed the law, but in hope that he would thereafter, becoming a reformed man. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Read the word and ask what did Jesus say about it.     We are not to look and try to keep the old moral laws given to Moses, we are to listen to what Jesus told us.  He did specifically speak of Divorce.  He gave us a new way of living here on planet earth during our physical lives here.  

Cain asked God if he was his brothers keeper.    Jesus taught us that, Yes, in fact you are your brothers keeper.   He taught about love and hate and how we should interface with each other and with the Godhead.   The Old Testament is full of wisdom, but the New Testament knowledge will give the knowledge of how to spend eternity with God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.25
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, Open7 said:

In Deuteronomy 24:1-4 it talks about how if a man is married and divorces her, and she goes on to marry someone else (and has sex with him), then the 2nd husband also divorces her, the first man she married would not be aloud to remarry her, as she has been defiled.

This is an example of a bigger question I have, in Christ we are free from the law, but, with laws like this, and probably many others, should we not still keep laws like this? I get it might not condemn us anymore like it did before Jesus, but is it not still right that we abide by them as best as we can?

The 'Law ':

Love the Lord.

Love your neighbour.

We love the Lord by obeying Him... We show love to our neighbour by making it our aim, via the Spirits help, to cause them no harm. Adultery, fornication, any form of sexual immorality, covetousness, etc. etc. all cause harm to others. Our 'neighbours' will include, (amongst others),  spouses, other family members, fellow church attenders, friends and work colleagues.

(Just my thoughts...)

Edited by B-B

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

“Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.”

(Jeremiah 15:16 ESVi)

Born from above sons are unique in that Christ and the Holy Spirit are in us to teach, prompt and guide us. We have the scriptures as a guide for life and conduct, which is a gracious gift.

There is much to read and absorb. I found that over time prayerfully reading scripture…the Truth becomes a part of me. More than just information.

”The law of the Spirit of Life, has set me free from the law of sin and death” These things are a reality that point to Christ within. We learn to trust Him, as He confirms Himself within us. This is an amazing gift and I cannot emphasize enough…not just words. Dwell on the fact that God lives in you. Seek Him in prayer. Eat the Word.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

B-B alluded to this.

Matthew 22:37-40

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Notice ... On these two commandments hand all the law and the Prophets! 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,038
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Open7 said:

The Law was given for three reasons:

1. God had chosen to dwell WITH the nation of Israel. To create a holy environment for a holy God, the Law was given. Through the Law Israel could be ritually clean. Your example of marriage is one of those Laws. Murder, idolatry and sexual offenses polluted the Land
  2. God's essence is LIFE, His Character is righteousness. Love and mercy are attributes of His Person, but righteousness is higher and must be satisfied first. Love was to be the motivational force to decide in favor of Him and His Law. The Law was designed to make Israelites righteous and this would be what the heathen nations surrounding Israel would see. And the Nations around Israel would see that when Israel kept the Law they were invincible militarily and blessed temporally
  3. The Law gave God His due, it gave Israelites their due and it gave the Land it's due. This is well seen in the Sabbath. God demanded a Sabbath, He commanded it for Israelite, and He commanded it for the Land.

These purposes of the Law answer to God's original plan with man to (i) be in His image and likeness, (ii) to dress and keep the Garden of Fellowship, and (iii) and to rule the earth after subduing it. If an Israelite kept the Law, he was reckoned as justified.

But the New Testament is vastly different. God has chosen to dwell IN the Christian individually and IN the Church corporately. For this huge step the Law is inadequate. So God, through His Son Jesus, does a Work up to His standard. This work achieves the high standard a man needs to have the very Triune God dwell IN him. His flesh is treated, not with washings like Israelites of old, but as crucified with Christ (Rom.6_1-5, Gal.2:20). Because man has Adam's nature from birth, he just cannot do anything that remotely comes up to the standard of having God IN him. So Christ's birth is divorced from Adam, He keeps the Law perfectly, then He keeps obedience to the Father over and above Law (for the Law cannot demand the death of the innocent for the guilty). Thus Christ establishes a RIGHTEOUSNESS that no other man could. God then claims this righteousness as His and IMPUTES it to the Christian.

If a Christian returns to the Law in any form whatsoever, he is intimating that the work of Christ was not enough and that he will do it better. For the New Testament, which is an age of grace and mercy, the language of Galatians is very harsh. Paul wishes certain men dead and certain men accursed. The reason is that the Galatians had started so well by faith in Jesus, but had returned to the Law for perfection. If you want to drive the Father to utter anger, just demean the work of His Son. Rather commit adultery 20 times than belittle the work of Christ.

Let us not worry about keeping the moral Laws of Moses. The way God overcomes the Flesh and the Law is that Christ, in His completeness, comes to dwell IN you. You do not get Christ the Man IN you. But via the Holy Spirit you receive Christ is ALL His HUMANITY. Jesus Christ, that Spirit of John 7:39, in all His perfection, with a perfect life behind Him, moves into your spirit the day you belief and confess Jesus. You have Christ in all His dignity, power, attributes and purpose with you RIGHT IN YOU. Romans Chapter 7 ends with "no good thing in your flesh", and a LAW that always makes you fail. If you try to keep the Law, you will fail. Romans Chapter 8 is the solution - a New LAW - "the Law of LIFE IN Christ Jesus". What ever Jesus did in His LIFE, He will prompt and empower you to do. Your part is to (i) seek Hi in prayer, (ii) study His Word to learn His mind, (iii) deny your flesh when it sets itself against God's will, and (iv) OBEY.

Do not think that any Law, man-made or God-given will justify you. You just cannot reach the standard. Accept Christ IN you, stay in intimate contact with Him, and deny and crucify your worldly and sinful desires. But a word of warning. The first thing BOTH Adam and Eve did after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, was to make a garment. In various scriptures, a garment is ones works (e.g. Rev.19:7-8). The poison of this Tree, from which we all have eaten in Adam, makes men LOVE WORKS. Men love the Law. It justifies them among other men. But when God entered the scene, Adam had to admit he was still naked (even though he had the garment on). Watch out! Men love the works of Law.

• Praise God! 1