IGNORED

Is it possible to commit the unpardonable sin today?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Just wondering. Was it something specific that the Pharisees and the scribes did that cannot be done today?

Edited by plo1988

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I believe what they did was suggest the workings of the Holy Spirit to Satan.   If I am right, then yes you could do that today.  It's one of the reasons I am very reluctant to put down people on places like TBN.  I don't feel qualified in determining what the Holy Spirit might be doing for some group of people.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

1 hour ago, plo1988 said:

Just wondering. Was it something specific that the Pharisees and the scribes did that cannot be done today?

The unpardonable sin (as Jesus said, there's ONE way to be lost) is to reject Jesus for salvation.

The Pharisees rejected Jesus after Jesus fulfilled both Talmud and OT prophecies--wonderfully, many of them trusted in Jesus later, as recorded in Acts!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Mark 3:22-30; Jesus own words.

22, And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

23, And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
    24, And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
    25, And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
    26, And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
    27, No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
    28, Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29, But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

30, Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.  THEY ACCUSED JESUS OF HAVING AN UNCLEAN SPIRIT.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

I studied and struggled with this question, too, some time ago. It was and is a critical question, have I ever committed the unpardonable sin (never forgiveness)? If I have, why do I worry about it, and why am I trying to be obedient to the word of God? I have heard many claims, "if you are worried about it, most likely you have not committed it."

Jesus is talking directly to the scribes (lawyers) in a parable. He intentionally switched to teaching in parables so a segment would not understand what He was saying. For some reason, this parable is the exception rather than the rule. Notice that the disciples did not ask about the parable's meaning, nor did Jesus explain. That is interesting to contemplate.

Some scribes and Pharisees would have personally witnessed the work and miracles of the Holy Spirit and attributed them to Beelzebub's evil spirit. In essence, they called the Holy Spirit evil. The only attribute of God that is repeated three times, in two different places for emphasis, is:

Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

Revelation 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. [emphasis added]

No one after Jesus went to be at the right hand of the Father has had the opportunity to witness in real-time Jesus performing a miracle through the Holy Spirit. Therefore, if this makes sense, we cannot attribute what we see with our own eyes to an evil entity.

Here's a question: Is the unpardonable sin and unforgivable sin synonymous? I do not think so.

I do not believe we can commit the unpardonable sin, because we do not see physical miracles from the Holy Spirit in real-time with our eyes and attribute them to an evil spirit.

The unforgivable sin is clearly explained in scripture. Dying and rejecting Jesus Christ as your Savior, no second chances after physical death, the fate is sealed.

The fate of the "scribes" was immediately pronounced; they did not have to wait until their physical death. The moment they blasphemed the Holy Spirit the scribes were condemned to Hell. With no chance of repentance, change of heart, or forgiveness.

Just one person's view.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 10/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, plo1988 said:

Absolutely.

John 3:18 (KJV)
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Unbelief in Jesus IS the unpardonable sin.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84

To say or believe that the miracles Jesus did like raising the dead, healing the sick was done by the power of the devil and not by the power of the Holy Spirit is blaspheming the Holy Spirit and is the unforgivable sin.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

On 10/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, other one said:

I believe what they did was suggest the workings of the Holy Spirit to Satan.   If I am right, then yes you could do that today.  It's one of the reasons I am very reluctant to put down people on places like TBN.  I don't feel qualified in determining what the Holy Spirit might be doing for some group of people.

Right on point, and those who say it is evil to preach what is being given by the outpouring of the Holy Spirit are in the same dilema.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 10/18/2022 at 2:46 PM, plo1988 said:

Any answer has to deal with two or three issues.

Can it be done today?  If one accepts that the unforgiven sin is to reject Jesus, then yes every nonchristian is committing it.

Can Christians do this?  No they have accepted Jesus and he has promised to keep us so he can present us to God.

How you view or understand christianity influences your view of this sin.

If you believe people chose to become Christian then you probably believe they can walk away from Jesus, committing this sin.

If you believe God chooses who will be saved and that he preserves them, then you will believe they cannot commit this sin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 10/18/2022 at 6:46 AM, plo1988 said:

Yes, it’s called blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which to translate means to deny God’s Presence in His Presence. because Jesus says God is a Spirit, therefore the Holy Spirit is the Presence of God.