JimmyB

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.15
  • Days Won:  0

I have noticed in many posts on this forum and other forums that people that identify as Christians do not behave in a Christian manner.

To me, being a Christian means having been born of the Spirit, a.k.a, born again, and therefore being guided by the Spirit.

Paul defined the characteristics of a Spirit-filled person in Galatians 5:22, "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Yet very often I see people write posts filled with judgement, condemnation, extreme personal criticism and other negative qualities that are the exact opposite of this behavior.  This shows up very often in political posts, where people attack others who don't agree with their views, but it is not limited to that area.  It shows up everywhere, regardless of the topic.  I see this, not only as unChristian behavior, but a sign of the very polarized times that we are living in.

There is, of course, room for disagreement on a variety of topics, Christian or not, but that does not give anyone who identifies as a follower of Christ to behave in a vicious manner.  I wonder, when people do that, if they have any understanding of what being led by the Spirit actually means or why they deny the clear command, in both Testaments, to love your neighbor as yourself.

Edited by JimmyB
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,472
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

25 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I have noticed in many posts on this forum and other forums that people that identify as Christians do not behave in a Christian manner.

To me, being a Christian means having been born of the Spirit, a.k.a, born again, and therefore being guided by the Spirit.

Paul defined the characteristics of a Spirit-filled person in Galatians 5:22, "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Yet very often I see people write posts filled with judgement, condemnation, extreme personal criticism and other negative qualities that are the exact opposite of this behavior.  This shows up very often in political posts, where people attack others who don't agree with their views, but it is not limited to that area.  It shows up everywhere, regardless of the topic.  I see this, not only as unChristian behavior, but a sign of the very polarized times that we are living in.

There is, of course, room for disagreement on a variety of topics, Christian or not, but that does not give anyone who identifies as a follower of Christ to behave in a vicious manner.  I wonder, when people do that, if they have any understanding of what being led by the Spirit actually means or why they deny the clear command, in both Testaments, to love your neighbor as yourself.

Your observation is not incorrect. Christians, even though we do have the life of God in us, also remain in this flesh (while in this earthly tent).  And according to Paul in Romans 7, no good thing is dwelling in the flesh.  So we are capable of heights of love through our spirit and the depths of depravity through our flesh . . . more of a possible fluctuation than those who are not born-again.

And we never know what is going on in a poster's situation and environment, to bring them to the place they are whenever making a comment.

So this is yet another opportunity for us to choose to live according to the renewed Spirit in us, and exhibit Christ's love, patience, longsuffering, gentleness and wisdom.  Life is full of these opportunities to gain Christ and great is our reward for doing so!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.72
  • Days Won:  1

Many of our problems with others come from making judgments in areas where we have no authority to make a judgement.

Best advice is what my mother used to tell me, "If you can't say something nicely, don't say anything at all".

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

It's like this with any subject people identify with.  What they believe becomes part of their personage and to debate something they take as an attack on them as if they own what they believe is the truth.  We know it occurs with other subjects as well such as politics, medical practices, science, you name it.  The solution is I suppose it's best that if one believes they have "the truth" that they have to realize the source (evidence) of that truth and they can't lay any claim to it as their own creation (a rhetorical question is where was that truth before they were born? - so it does not depend on them).  Truth will verify itself.  No need to make this more subject complicated than it is.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.15

28 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

It's like this with any subject people identify with.  What they believe becomes part of their personage and to debate something they take as an attack on them as if they own what they believe is the truth.  We know it occurs with other subjects as well such as politics, medical practices, science, you name it.  The solution is I suppose it's best that if one believes they have "the truth" that they have to realize the source (evidence) of that truth and they can't lay any claim to it as their own creation (a rhetorical question is where was that truth before they were born? - so it does not depend on them).  Truth will verify itself.  No need to make this more subject complicated than it is.

I agree.  But there is a way to respond and state one's opinion without resorting to personal attack.. As you said, they take a disagreement as an attack on them personally, which of course it isn't unless they identify their persona with the subject.  And their behavior is very often the opposite of turning the other cheek.  Even when Paul writes about putting on the full armor of God, it is not to attack but to protect.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Every member should read their posts before replying and ask themselves if it is written in a humble gentle Christlike manner. There are far too many for whom that is a "no"

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

3 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I understand what your saying and agree but for me what I want to do I don't always do it and that's flip it back in to me. Reading this I get a picture of the weather.. as you walk you close your eyes you feel the heat the warmth of the sun and oh that cool breeze that just dose not seem to want to blow like that all the time but oh its so beautiful. As you open your eyes.. its raining and off to the left you hear thunder and then someone pops up huge smile wants to chat.

I watched a video talking about Einstein and maybe you heard this before I at 62 HOW I never have. He was teaching and was writing on the black board 9x1,9x2 all the way to 9x10 which He wrote 91 I think. Then the class goes nuts laughing making fun of how he made a mistake. He said " Albert Einstein waited for everyone to shut up and said: ′′ Despite me answering the first 9 questions correctly, no one congratulated me. Instead, when I got one wrong, everyone started laughing. This means that despite being very successful, society will only notice the smallest mistake and make fun of it." 

Is this what I do when I read hear other believers that don't think like talk like believe like me? They believer Christ came in the flesh so they are family....so I .. just making it new again. Today .. the song oh comes to mind..

Questions 

So many questions
I must ask myself today
I wonder if Jesus thinks
I've done my share
Will I wake in the morning to find
Regrets up on my mind
Will I leave a trace of Jesus somewhere

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,135
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

5 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Yet very often I see people write posts filled with judgement, condemnation, extreme personal criticism and other negative qualities that are the exact opposite of this behavior. 

On 4/28/2023 at 7:35 AM, JimmyB said:

You just have in mind that women are second-class citizens then take Scripture out of context to justify your claim.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  3,051
  • Content Per Day:  3.31

@JimmyB @Vine Abider @FJK @tim_from_pa @LiveWire @ayin jade @TheBlade @WilliamL

I agree with you. The Lord had gracious words and commanded that we use them. There is another side of the story that might need mention. That is, the servant of the Lord must be ready to take a few blows for the sake of his/her honest opinion. I like the posting rules, and every entity needs government. But a little "reviling" isn't much different from passionate argument. And  don't forget that a reviling is good for your heavenly account (Matt.5:11-12)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven,
but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’

46 An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest.

47 Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him.
48 Then he said to them,
“Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me;
and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.
For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.

Everybody is fighting a battle we know nothing about.
             Be nice...and pray for them.   Really.   We reap what we sow.
               Vindication can be best a silent touch by the spirit, not public.

• Loved it! 1