Feeling lackadaisical about God..

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I've been saved for as long as I can remember.  I have a few experiences with God but I feel I'm missing God's conviction in my life. 

I feel I'm one of those Christians that are asleep. I also feel I have too many responsibilities to pursue God and while listening to a podcast.. for women that were on fire for God and talking about discipleship.. 

I felt in my heart I wasn't ready.... like I'm okay with giving God some pieces of my life but not everything. 

I Also feel God is far off but I know he's not. 

I feel bored reading the Bible. Praying is easier for me.. The best way I can describe this is I'm a battery thats close to being dead that needs to be recharged but I also don't want to do this lol.. 

I'm just being honest.  I definitely need a new heart. 

Advice please. 

• Praying! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

Advice please. 

Draw near to Him and He will draw even closer to you. https://p3n9m3v6.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

6 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've been saved for as long as I can remember.  I have a few experiences with God but I feel I'm missing God's conviction in my life. 

I feel I'm one of those Christians that are asleep. I also feel I have too many responsibilities to pursue God and while listening to a podcast.. for women that were on fire for God and talking about discipleship.. 

I felt in my heart I wasn't ready.... like I'm okay with giving God some pieces of my life but not everything. 

I feel bored reading the Bible. Praying is easier for me.. The best way I can describe this is I'm a battery thats close to being dead that needs to be recharged but I also don't want to do this lol.. 

Advice please. 

Hi what I noticed is 5 times you used the word "feel". Lol.. just going through this today. I've been found, saved, rescued, delivered, set free born from above over 50 years and I always have to fight feelings that are always up and down all over the place. We walk by faith which means no matter what I feel what GOD said is true its what I hold on to. What you GOD your Father has already promised in His word He will do no matter how we "feel". Is it not written we walk by faith? Is it not written we live by faith? We believe by faith. There always comes a time we need to grow and grow up. So we push through these moments we hold on to having His joy, His peace, His strength, His armor on and on and. Just like when fear pops up. I don't care how scared it might look of feel GOD has not given me the spirit of fear but of power love and a sound mind.

So I push through..  I stand in faith on His word and then I stand. What I stand on my foundation is Christ who is in me and the sweet sweet holy Spirit that leads and guides me. All of this is not based right now on how I feel. I am not moved by feelings. In those moments I speak His word that brings every time faith. I praise Him when I feel unhappy. In the mist of pain I thank Him I praise Him for He did not do it He already delivered me from all sickness. I will not let anything exalt its self above Him.

We all have been there. Your not alone.. now you have more praying for you and if just two or three agree here on earth "If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you". So as He said "Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. “Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil"

See you will  notice its all Him.. He takes it all. We cast all not some but all our cares on Him for He cares for us. Trust Him when you see nothing when you feel nothing you stand on His word. He is with you never against you always for you. In these moments He is so close to you. Thank and praise Him.. sing to Him when you don't feel like it. Don't let the flesh rule you. Then that joy will come that peace will come.. He never ever has failed. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

10 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Advice please. 

Relatable post. TheBlade is right in that we're in a constant war against our feelings. It's nice when they align with our walk with God but a lot of the time they run counter to it. On the boredom front I recommend reading just what you can manage. Forget devotion plans that tell you to read X amount of pages/chapters/etc. a day and go at your own pace. You'll retain what you read better when you aren't stretching the limits of your attention span, and in a way it ends up comparing yourself with others. The comparing is usually a recipe for feeling lousy about yourself.

I felt pretty lukewarm for a big chunk of my life, then I went through a long term trial by fire and some other unpleasant things that involved years of abuse and my own mental illnesses working against me. It helped a lot after God brought me out of the abuse and I got some recovery time. It did a lot for my walk with God but even still I relate to the part about not being okay with giving God some things but not others. We're works in progress so I think it's quite often just a matter of hanging in there and doing our best. If you look at Psalms the writers of some of them were definitely in dark places at times, just going "How much longer is this going to go on, God?".

Something I realized in my own insecurities about my walk with God is that no amount of reasoning or encouragement from others or hearing about what God had done with others ever really helped. Sometimes it can even be counterproductive because it's another thing that invites comparison with others. The problem is also an emotional one, and emotions tend to not listen to sound logic for very long. I realize this potentially invites comparison, but I think that's why God had me go down a path that enticed me to take baby steps toward going out of my way to do stuff for Him and try to help others in His name. Just doing those little things gradually made me feel better about my relationship with God and my standing with Him. When I felt more secure in my relationship with God it took a lot of the bite out of the emotional issues that were holding me back and causing me a lot of anxiety and depression.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

God is light and can not lie. His promises are true. He will never leave you. He will never forsake you.
No matter how you feel. I would wonder. Have you considered you may have left him?
Talk to him like you have posted here. He will hear you.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

20 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I also feel I have too many responsibilities to pursue God

May I suggest you have a hard look at those responsibilities. 

Do they 'have' to be done when you could be at church?

Do they really stop you being involved at church?

Is there anybody at church you can talk to about this, or with your spouse etc?

As the blade says there is a lot about ' feelings ' . Feelings have to be fed, feelings for one you love grow because of time spent with them, of thoughts spent on them, by talking with them.

The same applies to God

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

20 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I've been saved for as long as I can remember.  

Hi,  Can you remember?  I ask because if you do not have remembrance of being turned about by the Holy Spirit to seeing that Jesus is Lord, your Lord God and personal savior, then maybe you have not yet  been saved at all.

Perhaps though, now is the time. Could be a grand time for you is about to be, like never before, even for as long as you can remember back in time.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 1/3/2024 at 10:11 AM, Figure of eighty said:

Advice please. 

Hi @Figure of eighty It seems the Biblical emphasis is: "Hear ye the word of the LORD" (Jeremiah 2.4), rather than, These subjective feelings of mine are more important.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,312
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

God's Word is true.   Simply believe it.   Don't let your emotions rule you or you will be an up and down Christian.

Give thanks to God in all things...even when the circumstances might be difficult.   Keep going in faith, day by day, with God's help.

@Figure of eighty

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

God don't expect more of us than we can accomplish. He is merciful