Being led by the spirit.. how?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I realize I don't have alot of holy spirit conviction in my life. 

How do I gain that?

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,186
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

to walk in the light/Word as His did...

John 8:31 (KJV)

[31] Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

[32] And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  453
  • Content Per Day:  4.72
  • Days Won:  1

Also pray Psalm 51 in sincerity. If you have the boldness and strength, pray for correction.

A severe trial should draw you closer to God if the Holy Spirit does indeed dwell within you.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

38 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

How do I gain that?

Take a hint from the parable of the talents, put into use what you already have so that it can increase instead of burying it in the ground where it can't and you will be given more.

A body builder doesn't wait till he is fully muscled before he starts exercising and lifting weights, he gets that way by doing it as well as he can before he is.

A farmer doesn't grow abundant crops by hoarding his seeds, he grows abundant crops by planting them.

The more you give of the holy spirit, the more of the holy spirit you will be given to give.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

2 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

How do I gain that?

Hi Figure of eighty,

Now that is a very good question. For one, just asking that question is of the Holy Spirit, as that is what you need, (as we all do). So, think about it as being in the `School of the Spirit.` The Holy Spirit, (directed by Jesus) only highlights one thing at a time. We can`t go on to `other lessons` till this is done. You, (we) need to know when the Holy Spirit is highlighting something to us.

My observation so far is that you have been complaining a lot, and then when it was suggested to you to be thankful, you agreed to try that. Well, well done there. Just keep that up for a while for that is lesson number one of hearing God, is to appreciate all He has done so far. 

Then as you read God`s word and go about your daily life, the Holy Spirit will highlight some behaviour that is not right. When you address that (asking for God`s help) then you continue. It is all about changing our behaviour and thinking that is so ingrained from society, family, friends, etc. It is a life journey of repenting of wrong behaviour, thanking God for changes you see, and moving on again.

BTW the more you go on and address bad behaviour then you will be surprised at how much you didn`t see till the Holy Spirit highlighted it to you. Remember we are coming out of `darkness` (what we do wrong) to the Lord`s light, His truth and peace in our hearts. It is a step at a time. Only in looking back can we realize how far we have come. Be patient with your self and always remember God has your hand and is leading you on.

praying, Marilyn.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

How do I gain that?

Excellent question - for you and for the rest of us, too.

Here's something that is not original with me.  I've copied it, tweaked it, and reduced it to a small post.

1.  Your relationship cannot go higher or deeper than your obedience to the Holy Spirit.

The Bible says in Ephesians 4:30 that we are not to "grieve the Holy Spirit of God as he is our seal for the day of redemption".  That command comes smack in the middle of several commands from Paul as to how to live - "don't have unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, only what is helpful so it may benefit others.   Get rid of rage, bitterness, anger,  brawling, slander, and malice.  Be kind, compassionate, and forgive each other as Christ forgave us."

Since we are to have a "relationship" with the Holy Spirit, it may be that you [AND WE] have to:

[1] repent of sin

[2] apologize to the Holy Spirit for the grief we cause him.

[3] start living for others

[4] run to him when you have made a mistake

[5]  being obedience to what he says in scripture

This does not mean though we have to listen to everything that comes to our head! The Holy Spirit uses our spirit to communicate to us, but His voice will never contradict His word - the Bible. The world says to follow your gut; the Bible says to follow your God.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

highlighting

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

Excellent question - for you and for the rest of us, too.

Here's something that is not original with me.  I've copied it, tweaked it, and reduced it to a small post.

1.  Your relationship cannot go higher or deeper than your obedience to the Holy Spirit.

The Bible says in Ephesians 4:30 that we are not to "grieve the Holy Spirit of God as he is our seal for the day of redemption".  That command comes smack in the middle of several commands from Paul as to how to live - "don't have unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, only what is helpful so it may benefit others.   Get rid of rage, bitterness, anger,  brawling, slander, and malice.  Be kind, compassionate, and forgive each other as Christ forgave us."

Since we are to have a "relationship" with the Holy Spirit, it may be that you [AND WE] have to:

[1] repent of sin

[2] apologize to the Holy Spirit for the grief we cause him.

[3] start living for others

[4] run to him when you have made a mistake

[5]  being obedience to what he says in scripture

This does not mean though we have to listen to everything that comes to our head! The Holy Spirit uses our spirit to communicate to us, but His voice will never contradict His word - the Bible. The world says to follow your gut; the Bible says to follow your God.

Good answers. Also the Holy Spirit convicts us when we are wrong. He will open our minds if we are  disobeying the word of Christ. If you are not looking to God and his directions then the Holy Spirit will be silent.,

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

How do I gain that?

Hi, Gain that? I don't know that it is gain as much as it is realization of what is already so.

You might consider reading and rereading  John 16 along with praying/asking God for understanding of what you are reading by praying over your own seeking the understanding of it; be about doing that until you do have that gestalt moment of conviction when the Holy Spirit takes over and does convict you of sin, of awareness and of avoidance of sin. 

Then I might urge that you find a filler for the hole that is there when sin  is rejected, for until the hole is filled with that which is in God's will there is a void that Satan's many minions might come back to fill,  making you worse off then you were  before.

So seek what is good when you seek to put away that which  is bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

23 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

How do I gain that?

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. To add a bit to it though, something that I feel is a thing is a tendency to overcomplicate certain concepts. Being guided by the Holy Spirit is something that I think has often been a target of that in our current age. A lot of it really just boils down to living in obedience to God to the best of your ability, and the primary tool we have regarding that is the Bible.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

HOLY  SPIRIT

1 CORINTHIANS 8:5  for though there be that are called gods whether in heaven or in earth as there be gods many and lords many 

--8:6--  but to us there is but one  GOD  THE  FATHER  of whom are all things and we in  HIM  and one  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST  by whom are  --ALL  THINGS--

2 CORINTHIANS 5:18  and all things are of  GOD  who hath reconciled us to himself by  JESUS  CHRIST  and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation 

JOHN 6:63  it is the spirit that quickeneth the flesh --PROFITETH  NOTHING--  the words that  --I  SPEAK--  unto you they  --are spirit--  and they are life 

JOHN 5:40    ***and you will not come to  ME  that you might have life***

1 TIMOTHY 2:5  FOR  THERE  IS  ONE  GOD  AND  ONE  MEDIATOR  BETWEEN  GOD  AND  MEN  ***THE  MAN  JESUS  CHRIST***

JOHN 12:48  he that rejecteth  ME  and receiveth not  MY  words hath one that judgeth him ---the word that  --I  HAVE  SPOKEN--  the same shall judge him in the last day 

*******LUKE 19:27  but those mine enemies which would not that I should reign over them ***bring hither and slay them before  ME******* 

EPHESIANS 6:17  and take the helmet of salvation ---and the sword of  --THE  SPIRIT--  WHICH  IS  THE  WORD  OF  GOD---

2 THESSALONIANS  2:8  and then shall that wicked be revealed whom  THE  LORD  shall consume with the  ---spirit of  HIS  mouth--- and shall destroy with the brightness of  HIS  coming---

ACTS 1:1  the former treatise have I made o theophilus of all that  JESUS  began both to do and to teach 

--1:2-- until the day in which  HE  was taken up after that  HE  through the holy spirit had given commandments unto the apostles whom  HE  had chosen 

JOHN 12:49  for I have not spoken of myself but   THE  FATHER  which sent  ME  HE  gave  ME  a commandmment what I should say and what I should speak 

MATTHEW 10:18  and you shall be brought before governers and kings for  MY  SAKE  for a testimony against them and the gentiles 

--10:19--  but when they deliver you up take no thought how or what you shall speak for it shall be given you in that same hour ---what you shall speak---

*******10:20  --for it is not you that speak  ---but the spirit of your  FATHER  which speaketh in you*******

ISAIAH 30:1  woe to the rebellious children saith  THE  LORD  that take counsel --BUT  NOT  OF  ME-- and that cover with a covering  ***BUT  NOT  OF  MY  SPIRIT***  that they may add sin to sin 

PSALM 4:5  offer the sacrifices of righteousness ---AND  PUT  YOUR  TRUST  IN  THE  LORD---

PROVERBS 8:8  all the words of  MY  MOUTH  are in righteousness there is nothing froward or perverse in them

1 CORINTHIANS  10:1  moreover brethren I would not that you should be ignorant how that all our fathers were under the same cloud and all passed through the sea

--10:2--and were all baptized unto moses in the cloud and in the sea

--10:3-- and did all eat the same spiritual meat

--10:4--  and did all drink the same spiritual drink for they drank of that spiritual rock that followed them and that rock was  CHRIST

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

• Praise God! 1