Eternal Salvation Is Free; Ruling With Christ Is Earned

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

The kingdom of heaven vs. the kingdom of God is a thought-provoking subject, and I continue to study it, time permitting. As @AdHoc has mentioned in other threads, a kingdom requires a king, a time, subjects, and a place or sphere of authority.

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. (Matthew 11:12)

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. (Matthew 6:10)

In short, John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus and the kingdom of heaven. For a short time, the Lord Himself was preaching the kingdom of heaven, but then he abruptly switched to the kingdom of God. Had the Jews accepted their Messiah, the kingdom of heaven would have arrived on Palm Sunday when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, as OT scripture prophesized.

The place of the kingdom of heaven appears restricted to the earth; the King is King Jesus, and the subjects of the time were the Jews only, and the place was Israel. The kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God do not appear synonymous or interchangeable thus far. I see it as the kingdom of God, which is obtained through salvation, faith, and repentance, as opposed to entrance to the kingdom of heaven as a reward. The first offer of the kingdom of heaven was taken by violence, and our Lord was crucified.

With a premillennialist view, I believe the millennium will be the kingdom of heaven, a righteous government established, with Jesus as King. After the one-thousand-year reign of Christ, this will happen:

Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. (Hebrews 2:8) [At this point, the kingdom of heaven will be handed to the Father, the kingdom of God.]

However, there is much I do not understand. The kingdom of heaven is used 41 times in the Bible. Matthew exclusively uses the term kingdom of heaven in the NT and Daniel in the OT. Daniel's use varies from the time of his day to the prophetic yet future kingdom of heaven.

The kingdom of God is in 69 Biblical passages; Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Paul all refer to it. This leads to obvious questions:

• Why is Matthew exclusive to using the kingdom of heaven? Why do Mark, Luke, John, and Paul not mention the kingdom of heaven? Unless it is synonymous with the kingdom of God and used interchangeably.
  • If the kingdom of heaven is a reward and earned, and some genuinely born-again believers are shut out of the kingdom, where are they residing?
  • If they are shut out of the kingdom of heaven, for how long, the millennium or eternity?

Those with true faith who accepted Jesus by faith alone are promised an inheritance (Acts 26:18; Eph. 1:11; Eph. 1:14; Col. 1:12; Col. 3;24). We were created from the earth (dust-clay) and made to physically occupy the world (not other planets or the spiritual realm). Our eternal home is on a newly refurbished earth, with the new Jerusalem as our everlasting abode.

It is much too long to delve into, but the parable (or analogy) of the Ten Virgins of Matthew 25 gives us some insight. The main subject in verse one is the kingdom of heaven, the bridesmaids are guests, attendees to the bride, non-participants in the marriage. All ten are virgins, half being fools. I believe the ten virgins represent the Jews. I’ll let it go with that.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

The kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God do not appear synonymous or interchangeable thus far.

Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven are interchangeable.  You will find places in the scriptures where one author will use Kingdom of Heaven and another author choosing to use Kingdom of God to describe the same quotes from Jesus.

Compare the following example:

And Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:23-24 (NASB)

And Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Luke 18:24-25 (NASB)

Here are few  more examples:

He answered and said unto them, “Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.” Matthew 13:11 (NASB)

And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: Mark 4:11 (NASB)

--

He presented another parable to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed . . . Matthew 13:31 (NASB)

And He said, “How shall we picture the kingdom of God . . . It is like a mustard seed . . . Mark 4:30-31 (NASB)

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/20/2024 at 2:41 PM, Vine Abider said:

I saw this topic on another forum and thought it would be good to discuss here too.  I think this is a very succinct way of putting things.

What do you think?

I'm slightly late to the party but I very much agree with the premise. Salvation is free yet we see a lot in the Bible that speaks of judgment according to works that suggests the absence or presence of rewards and a varying degree.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

@Vine Abider @Dennis1209 @Sower @Marilyn C @NConly @Jedi4Yahweh @D. Adrien @Wayne222 @RdJ @Tristen

Three crucial questions arise from the dialogue of this thread:

1. Has God abandoned His purpose of Genesis 1:26-28 - that is, will man rule the earth, sea and sky and their contents?

2. Will Israel rule anything after refusing the King and committing a sin which the Lord said would not be forgiven in the present and future age. They attributed a work done by the Holy Spirit to Beelzebub?

3. Will slothful and sinful Christians inherit the Kingdom of Heaven when Christ returns?

The Lord requires two or three witnesses to establish anything. For brevity I will stick to this, even if more proofs are at hand.

1. The Covenant of Promise with Abraham is for a land that Abraham could see. Its borders are defined at least three times. But after Abraham refused the Land and its goods at the hand of the heathen, God enlarged the Promise to THE WHOLE EARTH (Rom.4:13). Jesus is the Seed of Abraham, Israel is the seed of Abraham, and the Church is th seed of Abraham (Gal.3:29). From Enoch through Jude to John the Apostle, they all predict that Christ will return to earth. In Matthew 25:31-32 Christ's throne of glory is set up on earth since He judges "ALL NATIONS" from it. The New Jerusalem, a heavenly wonder and sign, comes from heaven to earth and "The NATIONS" who are approved at the Gates may go in. No Nations go to heaven. New Jerusalem must be on earth. New Jerusalem is the Tabernacle of God.

2. The government of Israel after Christ's return is by Jesus Himself. To Israel He is "Emmanuel" - God WITH us. Second in command is David (Jer.30:9). David wrote profusely about Jesus in the Psalms. He must be a BELIEVER. To be in the Kingdom he must be born again. That is, David is a Christian. In Matthew 19:28 the Lord promises the 11 apostles that they would rule over Israel from thrones. The 11 plus Matthias, who was chosen by lot before Pentecost (Act.1) will rule Israel. According to the Jewish prophets Israel will "SERVE" but not rule (Lk.1:67-79).

3. According to the parables which pertain to the Kingdom of Heaven, plus direct scriptures like 1st Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:21 and Ephesians 5:5, the unrighteous will NOT inherit the kingdom. These parables are addressed to the Believers, and te Corinthians, Galatians and Ephesians where members of their respective Churches - CHRISTIANS. Furthermore, in Matthew 24 the good servant who became evil in God's House, though chastised, is still called a "servant of His Lord". Furthermore, the men and women of Matthew 7:21-23 must be Christians because only Christians can cast out demons (Mk.16:17). Their sin was not casting out demons, but doing it without God's orders.

There is sufficient proofs to fill a page - or even a book. But these above have to be dealt with because no scripture contradicts any other. That is, before any scripture can be brought, these must be shown to be untrue.

• Well Said! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  01/01/1978

On 3/20/2024 at 3:41 PM, Vine Abider said:

What do you think?

I'm glad that it's free because i was preparing to take out a loan. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.82

2 hours ago, AdHoc said:

But after Abraham refused the Land and its goods at the hand of the heathen

Can you help me find this statement in the Bible please? thanks

2 hours ago, NConly said:

Can you help me find this statement in the Bible please? thanks

21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself. 22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth, 23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich: (Ge 14:21–23)

But this is not all:-
1. Although God promised the Land to Abraham, he was able to give Lot first choice. Lot took the choice area

2. God promised Abraham the Land and then in the same breath said he would die without gaining the Land. Abraham knew that he would only receive the Land in resurrection.

3. Abraham was promised that he would be the father of nations, but that the chosen line would come through Isaac. Isaac had no children when Abraham was commanded to sacrifice him. This is more difficult than point 2 because in resurrection one cannot sire children (Lk.20:35-36)

4. Isaac again refused part of the Land even though the field of Machpelah was offered to him for free. He paid full price so that he received nothing at the hand of Heth.

Hope this helps. God bless

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

5 hours ago, AdHoc said:

@Vine Abider @Dennis1209 @Sower @Marilyn C @NConly @Jedi4Yahweh @D. Adrien @Wayne222 @RdJ @Tristen

Three crucial questions arise from the dialogue of this thread:

1. Has God abandoned His purpose of Genesis 1:26-28 - that is, will man rule the earth, sea and sky and their contents?

2. Will Israel rule anything after refusing the King and committing a sin which the Lord said would not be forgiven in the present and future age. They attributed a work done by the Holy Spirit to Beelzebub?

3. Will slothful and sinful Christians inherit the Kingdom of Heaven when Christ returns?

The Lord requires two or three witnesses to establish anything. For brevity I will stick to this, even if more proofs are at hand.

1. The Covenant of Promise with Abraham is for a land that Abraham could see. Its borders are defined at least three times. But after Abraham refused the Land and its goods at the hand of the heathen, God enlarged the Promise to THE WHOLE EARTH (Rom.4:13). Jesus is the Seed of Abraham, Israel is the seed of Abraham, and the Church is th seed of Abraham (Gal.3:29). From Enoch through Jude to John the Apostle, they all predict that Christ will return to earth. In Matthew 25:31-32 Christ's throne of glory is set up on earth since He judges "ALL NATIONS" from it. The New Jerusalem, a heavenly wonder and sign, comes from heaven to earth and "The NATIONS" who are approved at the Gates may go in. No Nations go to heaven. New Jerusalem must be on earth. New Jerusalem is the Tabernacle of God.

2. The government of Israel after Christ's return is by Jesus Himself. To Israel He is "Emmanuel" - God WITH us. Second in command is David (Jer.30:9). David wrote profusely about Jesus in the Psalms. He must be a BELIEVER. To be in the Kingdom he must be born again. That is, David is a Christian. In Matthew 19:28 the Lord promises the 11 apostles that they would rule over Israel from thrones. The 11 plus Matthias, who was chosen by lot before Pentecost (Act.1) will rule Israel. According to the Jewish prophets Israel will "SERVE" but not rule (Lk.1:67-79).

3. According to the parables which pertain to the Kingdom of Heaven, plus direct scriptures like 1st Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:21 and Ephesians 5:5, the unrighteous will NOT inherit the kingdom. These parables are addressed to the Believers, and te Corinthians, Galatians and Ephesians where members of their respective Churches - CHRISTIANS. Furthermore, in Matthew 24 the good servant who became evil in God's House, though chastised, is still called a "servant of His Lord". Furthermore, the men and women of Matthew 7:21-23 must be Christians because only Christians can cast out demons (Mk.16:17). Their sin was not casting out demons, but doing it without God's orders.

There is sufficient proofs to fill a page - or even a book. But these above have to be dealt with because no scripture contradicts any other. That is, before any scripture can be brought, these must be shown to be untrue.

Yes, two is the Biblical number for union, division, and witnessing, I agree:

This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. (2 Corinthians 13:1)

Let us put it to the test pertaining to the subject of the kingdom of Heaven. Do you think you can make your case with the kingdom of Heaven dismissing all of Matthew, the primary witness? Can a case be made using only Mark, Luke, John, and the epistles?

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (1 Corinthians 6:9)

People who have a lifestyle of unrighteousness (unjust) are not Christians, they are the lost, as the rest of the list above keeps one out of the Kingdom.

11.20 δικος, ου m: a person who is not a member of the Christian community and by implication possibly unjust or not in a right relation with God—‘unbeliever, not a follower of Christ.’ τολμ τις μν πργμα χων πρς τν τερον κρίνεσθαι π τν δίκων ‘if one of you has a dispute with the other, how dare he go to law before unbelievers’ 1 Cor 6:1.[1]

In other words, the people committing these sins, love their sins, follow the lust of their flesh and Satan, and will not repent and get them under the blood of Jesus. A Christian cannot live in that lifestyle, at best, the Lord will call them home early, IMO.

[1] Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 123.

The Reformation was a literal battlefield. Blood was shed in copious amounts. At stake was salvation by faith and salvation as a free gift based on the Work of Another. It was sorely needed and God was behind it. But the Bible had just become available again, the printing press new and people had been kept illiterate by the Roman Church. The fathers of the Reformation were engaged in this epic battle to free men from Rome and missed many truths. These truths about the Kingdom OUT OF heaven, not, IN Heaven, were always there, but they were thrown into the spotlight about 200 years after the Reformation. The leaders of these truths came from various sources but the Plymouth Brethren were prominent.

I am not Brethren and agree, sadly, that their history is less than glorious (which of us is better though). Yet,they brought to focus the return of Christ and His subjection of Gentile government. These teachings were not well received because most so-called Christian denominations had a program that involved worldly tactics with worldly results. The most common doctrine after the "Kingdom Now" of Rome was the belief that the Nations would be converted to Christianity and in this manner the Kingdom of God would EVOLVE on earth.

But it is not so. Man always overestimates himself, and though the Bible is clear about the future apostasy of the Church and Israel's hardness remaining till the end, with the descent of the Nations into utter evil that even surpasses that of the days of Noah, man thinks that he can achieve the Kingdom without the presence of the Messiah. But God has ordained the "Second Adam" to subdue God's enemies. And God, in His perfect foreknowledge, knowing the hearts of men, set forth the system of REWARD.

Many Christians, taking to heart the sufferings of the Reformers for salvation as a free gift, think that we owe God our perfect allegiance and would gladly undergo the rigors of God's training voluntarily. Good sentiments they are, but if God thinks that men need a system of REWARD, we should not make the mistake again of overestimating ourselves. So let us not put on a mantle of nobleness and cast aside the REWARD of the Kingdom. Let us learn from our Master;

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. (Heb 12:1–3).

If the God-Man, in His perfection, did it all "for the joy set before Him", let us all embrace the REWARD which is to enter the Kingdom as co-king with Christ when He comes.

28 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yes, two is the Biblical number for union, division, and witnessing, I agree:

This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. (2 Corinthians 13:1)

Let us put it to the test pertaining to the subject of the kingdom of Heaven. Do you think you can make your case with the kingdom of Heaven dismissing all of Matthew, the primary witness? Can a case be made using only Mark, Luke, John, and the epistles?

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (1 Corinthians 6:9)

People who have a lifestyle of unrighteousness (unjust) are not Christians, they are the lost, as the rest of the list above keeps one out of the Kingdom.

11.20 δικος, ου m: a person who is not a member of the Christian community and by implication possibly unjust or not in a right relation with God—‘unbeliever, not a follower of Christ.’ τολμ τις μν πργμα χων πρς τν τερον κρίνεσθαι π τν δίκων ‘if one of you has a dispute with the other, how dare he go to law before unbelievers’ 1 Cor 6:1.[1]

In other words, the people committing these sins, love their sins, follow the lust of their flesh and Satan, and will not repent and get them under the blood of Jesus. A Christian cannot live in that lifestyle, at best, the Lord will call them home early, IMO.

[1] Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 123.

We will have to differ in our understanding.
1. The letter is written to

2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours: (1 Co 1:2)

2. The threat of Chapter 3 is for men who build the House of God.

3. The man who committed incest in Chapter 5 is called "brother". He must have the same FATHER as Paul - God

4. Israel is is given as example to us in Chapter 10. Israel are God's people. Israel passed through the Red Sea at God's hand. Israel ate angel's food and drank of Christ. But an occasion arose when God slew 23,000 in one day.

5. Those who died in Chapter 11 were Christians eating the Lord's Table.

1st Corinthians addresses Christians.