MrLuke

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

OFF THE POINT A LITTLE-----IS it not at all possible for someone who has a gift of seeing the future is not at all from god but from a more powerfull existance? for example the craft which i have been studing into... it seems that there is more than two sides to every story!it seems that churches ministers and preachers today only tell about "god and satan"...wat about the others there is many andmore than two sides so wat if you are a seer it may not be from god but from somewhere more powerfull?

is that not somethng to consider?

If that is true, then we have nothing...... and that would also include those that are not Christian as well, for they have nothing now.....

there is nothing, no one, no body stronger, more powerful, more passionate, more understanding, more knowledgible more wise, moreanything then God..... spoken God All Mighty...... that says it all....

meaning there is nothing above Him....

so there is nothing more to consider.....

for we can not even fathom, comprehend, the magnatude of God as it is..... how could we possibly comprehend anything greater then Him>>

mike

Absolutely. God is the Most High. There is nothing and no one above Him. We are as grains of sand in his sight. Only His GREAT LOVE lifts us to the Heavenly Places With Him. May He be pleased with these postings.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In conclusion, while the word 'seer' may have a bad or occultic reputation now, to claim that 'seers' in the Bible 'were usually the "false prophets" prophecying a vision of prosperity when the lone (true) prophet had issued a warning from God' just does not hold water.

OK...I know what I said...but I don't know what you heard.

I did not say that the seers you have named were false prophets.

The extra-biblical (outside of the bible) record is that many people in ancient times went around claiming to be seers who were not. The bible only tells you about the ones who were. Yet there are also many mentions of false prophets casting a vision for the future that isn't from God. They may or may not have been called "Seer" in the translated biblical text but the job description is the same.

Are you aware of that or should I find the chapter and verse of their existance?

Prophet and Seer might be the exact same thing in a dictionary of modern terms but one could be called a prophet and/or a seer in those days while being neither.

A prophet of Israel may, at times, receieve a vision of the future (and therefore be called a Seer) but that was necessarily a job-description of what a prophet is.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Here is something I believe is in the spirit realm. Firstly don't dabble in this realm apart from the Holy Spirit. In regards to your question it's a little off....

People who see the future or do fortune telling (and who are not fakes) do so through the spirit realm. The devil knows what's going to happen before man does but not as much as God probably. The seers or fortune tellters listen to spirits in the spirit realm and these may not be of God. It's not that they are more powerful...it's just that things take place in the spirit realm before they are manifested physically.

We truly do not have any concept whatsoever of time. We think one second here is the same as one second in mars....well it's not. If you don't believe this just take a look at Einstein's theory of relativity...only up to this point has man's knowledge come to realize that time is just another malliable dimension. Are there psychics, fortune tellers, seers that are not of God? Yes. So how do they know all these things? Through the spirits in the spirit realm. Is this dangerous? Very much so.

Satan promises you power in any form in this world whether it be wealth and power in this world or psychic powers but in the end it's just a trick. He plans to utterly devour and destroy.

OFF THE POINT A LITTLE-----IS it not at all possible for someone who has a gift of seeing the future is not at all from god but from a more powerfull existance? for example the craft which i have been studing into... it seems that there is more than two sides to every story!it seems that churches ministers and preachers today only tell about "god and satan"...wat about the others there is many andmore than two sides so wat if you are a seer it may not be from god but from somewhere more powerfull?

is that not somethng to consider?

It is still a faulty interpretation of what is occuring. They render all of Samuel's powers unto himself, meaning they believe in the occultic definition of a seer. i looked through that site and wouldn't trust their teaching no matter what. It simply is not biblically based (they're modern mystics). Furthermore, this man is relying on a concordance. That simply is not adequate enough. Granted, I am no expert in Hebrew and certainly need help on it many times (self-taught, which I do not advocate...I need actual classes)...I can tell you right now that the passage I looked at is refering to someone who percieves things, NOT someone who forsees the future.

1Sa 9:9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

This verse seems to me to be saying that a prophet and a seer are the same thing; only the terminology changed.

1Sa 3:20 And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.

Here, Samuel is called a prophet, while here:

1Sa 9:19 And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am the seer: go up before me unto the high place; for ye shall eat with me to day, and to morrow I will let thee go, and will tell thee all that is in thine heart.

1Sa 9:20 And as for thine asses that were lost three days ago, set not thy mind on them; for they are found. And on whom is all the desire of Israel? Is it not on thee, and on all thy father's house?

Samuel uses the term 'seer' of himself. He also is able to state that Saul's father's missing animals had been found. How could he know that in the natural?

Finally,

Sa 10:1 Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance?

1Sa 10:2 When thou art departed from me to day, then thou shalt find two men by Rachel's sepulchre in the border of Benjamin at Zelzah; and they will say unto thee, The asses which thou wentest to seek are found: and, lo, thy father hath left the care of the asses, and sorroweth for you, saying, What shall I do for my son?

1Sa 10:3 Then shalt thou go on forward from thence, and thou shalt come to the plain of Tabor, and there shall meet thee three men going up to God to Bethel, one carrying three kids, and another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine:

1Sa 10:4 And they will salute thee, and give thee two loaves of bread; which thou shalt receive of their hands.

1Sa 10:5 After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city, that thou shalt meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they shall prophesy:

1Sa 10:6 And the Spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.

1Sa 10:7 And let it be, when these signs are come unto thee, that thou do as occasion serve thee; for God is with thee.

1Sa 10:8 And thou shalt go down before me to Gilgal; and, behold, I will come down unto thee, to offer burnt offerings, and to sacrifice sacrifices of peace offerings: seven days shalt thou tarry, till I come to thee, and shew thee what thou shalt do.

1Sa 10:9 And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.

Samuel the 'seer' predicted the future to Saul, and it all came to pass. Is this not what a prophet does? Seems to me that the two terms are interchangeable.

Now, I will agree that not everyone who calls themselves a prophet or a seer is a man (or for that matter, woman) of the LORD. There were many in the Bible who were false prophets, and many nowadays as well.

Having said all that, my usual advice to anyone who is given a 'word from the LORD' is to test the spirits, according to 1 John 4.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Nobody is saying one should put "personal experience" above the Bible. I am disagreeing with your conclusions as to what the Bible teaches on the subject. I am saying he should pray and seek God about whether the message is true. I think God's opinion is more reliable than yours, so if that is putting "personal experience" above the Bible to you, so be it.

By the way mate, I trust that the authors of my Greek Dictionary knew what they were talking about. In addition, your definition doesn't contradict it. You said the "THE IDEA BEHIND THE WORD is offering a divine discourse on the events which have occured OR WILL OCCUR." My Greek dictionary says the word means prediction, prophecy, prophesying. Since you admit it can mean things that will occur, where is the definition off? Also, what is your source that shows "the idea behind the word is offering a divine discourse on the events which have occured or will occur?"

Well my source would be me. I'm not perfect in Greek, but after a few years of study I feel I know what I'm talking about on basic definitions. It's gramatics that throw me off still.

Regardless, a "prophecy" is more of a declaration and not always dealing with the future. Either way, what I was getting across is that in modern times a "seer" is someone that fortells the future on their own power. Likewise, what the OP was talking about was simply being able to do it on his own as well. One who has the gift of prophecy does so not on his own ability, but purely off what God has revealed to him.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Regardless, a "prophecy" is more of a declaration and not always dealing with the future. Either way, what I was getting across is that in modern times a "seer" is someone that fortells the future on their own power. Likewise, what the OP was talking about was simply being able to do it on his own as well. One who has the gift of prophecy does so not on his own ability, but purely off what God has revealed to him.

The OP was saying that??? I didn't remember him saying he would be doing this on his own, so I went back and reread the OP, quoted below:

Well a while back now I was prophecied over about God revealing the gift of a Seer in me. I've prayed muchly about this (as certain elements of what was said in the prophecy freaked me a bit!) and all is well about it and God is definately revealing this gift to me bit by bit - but I'm just wondering if anyone else has got the gift or had experience with a Seer before, because I've been reading about Samuel to gain some understanding, but some personal testimony wouldn't go amiss about it all!

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here.. I guess something like 'is anyone else here a Seer? And is there anything you could say to prepare me for what to expect in this area of God?' I don't really fully understand it all (which is why I been reading about Samuel) because I know it's different to being just a Prophet as such, and well nothing is really taught on it in church!

:noidea:

[bolding above mine.]

In what way was the OP saying he would be doing this on his own? Three different times, he attributed it to GOD. Unless I am completely reading this wrong???

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Yes I second that what Sheya Joie is saying, what with me being the auther of the OP!

Apothanein Kerdos, how dare you twist my words to try and say that I was putting it to my own power!? I mean, are you blind? Can you not read? I never said anything of the sort and neither did I even hint at anything like that!

The OP was saying that??? I didn't remember him saying he would be doing this on his own, so I went back and reread the OP, quoted below:

Well a while back now I was prophecied over about God revealing the gift of a Seer in me. I've prayed muchly about this (as certain elements of what was said in the prophecy freaked me a bit!) and all is well about it and God is definately revealing this gift to me bit by bit - but I'm just wondering if anyone else has got the gift or had experience with a Seer before, because I've been reading about Samuel to gain some understanding, but some personal testimony wouldn't go amiss about it all!

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here.. I guess something like 'is anyone else here a Seer? And is there anything you could say to prepare me for what to expect in this area of God?' I don't really fully understand it all (which is why I been reading about Samuel) because I know it's different to being just a Prophet as such, and well nothing is really taught on it in church!

:)

[bolding above mine.]

In what way was the OP saying he would be doing this on his own? Three different times, he attributed it to GOD. Unless I am completely reading this wrong???

Edited by Luke

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

To both Luke and Sheya,

There is no need for an overreaction. First, read through the thread and you will consistently see this overall theme of, "How can I tell the future." That is, after all, what a Seer does (tells the future in his or her own power...in modern context). Secondly, there was an attempt to differentiate between what a Seer and Prophet is. Now, as of yet, there has been no scriptural support to justify this seperation. Therefore, I am still working off of the context of "Seer" meaning someone that looks into the future under their own power.

Of all the people in this thread, the only ones who have used scripture to justify their position are those of us concerned over the word "Seer" being used. Interesting eh?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

To both Luke and Sheya,

There is no need for an overreaction. First, read through the thread and you will consistently see this overall theme of, "How can I tell the future." That is, after all, what a Seer does (tells the future in his or her own power...in modern context). Secondly, there was an attempt to differentiate between what a Seer and Prophet is. Now, as of yet, there has been no scriptural support to justify this seperation. Therefore, I am still working off of the context of "Seer" meaning someone that looks into the future under their own power.

Of all the people in this thread, the only ones who have used scripture to justify their position are those of us concerned over the word "Seer" being used. Interesting eh?

I've given scripture before in this thread concerning Samuel, where, from what I see when I read, he does seem to do things that a 'normal' prophet may not. Just seems God uses him in different ways and the way that people revere to him as "the seer" etc. But also as in 1Sa 9:9 it does say that the terminology has changed and both are now called just Prophets. It's not my fault if the devil has high-jacked the word "seer" and made it's meaning seem something of a evil nature. From what I gathered from what I said in the OP, the person speaking over me may have used, or even the Lord used, the term "seer" for reasons unknown to me yet or maybe even to differentiate like in the OT days. Who knows. :cool:

All I can say is that the Lord has been using me in the prophetic in giving words, pictures/images etc for people more often than ever before so whatever the difference in word terminolgy and technicalities, it doesn't really make a blind bit of difference!

Guest Mrblonde_144000

Well, admittedly, I am fascinated by this sort of "supernatural" gift, having read the part in revelations where the two prophets come back to Earth breathing fire at those who would harm them. [paraphrased] I think we can all agree on the fact that God is all powerful, he can do anything He pleases. If, in fact, God wanted to give someone the ability to foresee the future, heal people, or heck, shoot laser beams out of their nose, I'm sure God could do so. (Note: I don't know whether He has yet, or plans to do so in the future, I'm just saying that it's possible)

As to whether or not something of this nature has been granted to you, Luke, I'm not entirely sure whether this is the work of God or if it is a false/demonic message meant to lead you astray. My advice: Pray!!! Talk to a trusted pastor or other Christian who has a strong foundation in Scripture and ask for their advice.

I tried to make this as brief as I could, and stick to English instead of trying to translate Hebrew....

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Nobody is saying one should put "personal experience" above the Bible. I am disagreeing with your conclusions as to what the Bible teaches on the subject. I am saying he should pray and seek God about whether the message is true. I think God's opinion is more reliable than yours, so if that is putting "personal experience" above the Bible to you, so be it.

By the way mate, I trust that the authors of my Greek Dictionary knew what they were talking about. In addition, your definition doesn't contradict it. You said the "THE IDEA BEHIND THE WORD is offering a divine discourse on the events which have occured OR WILL OCCUR." My Greek dictionary says the word means prediction, prophecy, prophesying. Since you admit it can mean things that will occur, where is the definition off? Also, what is your source that shows "the idea behind the word is offering a divine discourse on the events which have occured or will occur?"

Well my source would be me. I'm not perfect in Greek, but after a few years of study I feel I know what I'm talking about on basic definitions. It's gramatics that throw me off still.

I just wonder where you got the last part of your recourse here-- (One who has the gift of prophecy does so not on his own ability, but purely off what God has revealed to him).

Sure sounds like you are learning new things from this thread as I am referring to post #23 & 24 in the which your reply was then that you did not believe in the gifts but now I see a change. Study does us all good keep at it for the Lord has more things to show and teach you within his word.

God Bless You Richly In The Knowledge of Him

In His Stead

Openly Curious