• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/04/1970

Since 1970? Its changed LOTS! I think its just the beginning too.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I was born in 1990. So not much. The computers are nicer I guess, and I suppose we didn't have the internet when I was just born, but I don't remember that far back.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I was born in 1990. So not much. The computers are nicer I guess, and I suppose we didn't have the internet when I was just born, but I don't remember that far back.

Aww man. That whole post was just cruel. Cruel. :huh:

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

What did I do! I'm sorry Marnie! It was an accident, I swear! :huh:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Yeah, pretty much like your post being compared to mine, (if I would post one)

:huh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  248
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

When I was born in 1946, we didn't have computers or tv's. One thing that was nice is that the Doctors made house calls.

The only Doctor that makes house calls in this day and age is the Death Doctor.

Liz

• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Not much has changed since yesterday.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Well, here we go. I'll just "bite the bullet" and do it................:

Since 1955 when I was born, a lot has changed. The thing with the most impact on the world is communications.

I can't speak for the 1950s because I don't actually remember anything that happened then, my earliest memories must be in 1961 in August when the Berlin Wall was erected - I remember this because my mother talked about it for so long and explained everything about it to us. And then in October 1961 my brother was born - I remember all about this because my sister and I were allowed to choose his name so we gave our mother the choice out of "Clark" (after Superman) or "Garth" (after the cartoon about "Garth the Strongman). She let us call him Garth.

There have been quite a few changes in domestic life over that time. When I was growing up most of our meat came from our father going out and shooting it and our mother made all our bread, biscuits, cakes and pies in the coal range and we grew all our vegetables - now this is unheard of, people get food from the supermarket and cook it in a microwave oven or an electric oven. I would never have believed as a child that relatively soon we would be using things like microwave ovens.

When I was growing up we had an "outhouse" as a lot of people did then, now everybody has an indoor toilet.

We had a telephone that was really big, hung on the wall, and had two big bells at the bottom and a ringer clanging against the bells. No wonder I find "electronic noises" annoying.

A lot of changes are for the better, but a lot of them are questionable to say the least. I mean, I grew up being able to ride on the back of trucks, being able to walk to school without anyone panicking, being able to swim in the lake or the sea without some overpaid underworked bureaucrat coming along and yelling about "safety", and being able to play on playground equipment that was more than 1.4 metres off the ground. I could also get my driving licence at 15 without producing a birth certificate and 10 more forms of ID (even if there were no automatic transmission cars available then - well to us anyway - and you accepted that you had to learn to "crash start" your car and clean your spark plugs as part of the course of events).

However, the biggest change is being able to go to the computer and communicate with someone thousands of miles away in seconds.

Another wonderful change is to be able to get the news from the other side of the world 20 minutes after it has happened.

I remember discussing with my older sister "the technological changes that might take place when we are older", but I never thought we'd be using computers, ipods, automatic cars cellphones etc.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Have to add to this again:

In the "old days" when I was young (what my kids like to call "the cave days") one of the most significant things was that the great social engineering experiment hadn't started.

When I was going to school if any kid there was from a one parent family it meant that their parent was widowed and there was nobody with lesbian or gay parents or one mother, several "fathers" and lots of brothers and sisters none of which has the same father, and there was nobody who was expecting to be a third generation welfare beneficiary.

(I think "welfare dependency" is one of the saddest things to come out of the the "modern world". Some years ago when I was doing housework and "personal care" for a woman with cancer, I befriended her 17 year old nephew and he helped me out with my car and other heavy jobs. He had very little schooling and problems with literacy and had already done a stint in jail, and I asked him one day what his ambition in life was and his answer was "I want to turn 18 so I can get the unemployment benefit". I could see the hopelessness in his eyes, and I thought that comment was so sad).

Also in those days there was a lot less bureaucrats interfering with peoples' lives. A big change today is that government departments have "their hooks into everything".

In those days, too, members of parliament did the parliamentary thing very much part time and had real jobs as well and were paid small stipends and expenses, now they are either unemployable bums, "academics" or gay rights activists and have voted themselves - from other peoples' money - way over-the-top "salaries".

But there must be something good about "world changing events"..... oh, yeah, the car heater works and we have toasters that cook both sides of the bread at once.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

From the time you were born untill now. How much has the world changed

Since 1958 lots, lets think microwaves mobiles computers cars space travel internet double glazing video conferencing ....I am sure others can think of more.

Carol R :wub: