OneAccord

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

but I'm not sure what conclusions he would draw up, would he be revolted and distressed as he should be, would it cause him to love Jesus more, would it give him nightmares, would he get some perverse pleasure in watching it, I have to say I honestly don't know.

Yes, you hit it, OA. I'm just not sure. And not sure I want to take the chance.

I also have a 10 year old that asked to go and got an emphatic "NO". But there is a big difference between a very sensitive (and somewhat sheltered from all the garbage on t.v's and movies) 10 year old girl, and a 13 year old boy who has been out more and seen more. (unfortunately - like you said - they see it elsewhere). Sigh.

I hope your son had a great birthday.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Ok, here's my thought. How about all you that go and see it this upcoming week. Give us a report in regard to kids, AFTER you have seen it.

Sounds like a great idea!

Though I was thinking, I wouldn't know how to give it a rating.

How about someone come up with a list of movies you know as far as violence level (mild-moderate-high . . . maybe some in betweens?) that we can use as litmus tests to rate this film next to.

So, like we could say that the violence level was on par with [such] movie. Then, the parents could evaluate how their child would handle the violence of that film and make the decision accordingly.

Would that work?

Ok, here's my thought. How about all you that go and see it this upcoming week. Give us a report in regard to kids, AFTER you have seen it. I'm not planning to go on opening day anyway, so would you share what you think after you've seen it?

Thanks!

In His Love,

Suzanne

Suzanne, do you mean take my son and tell you his reaction?? I will, if I end up taking him. I am just so unsure.

Either way, I'll let you know. :cool:

Ok, here's my thought. How about all you that go and see it this upcoming week. Give us a report in regard to kids, AFTER you have seen it.

Sounds like a great idea!

Though I was thinking, I wouldn't know how to give it a rating.

How about someone come up with a list of movies you know as far as violence level (mild-moderate-high . . . maybe some in betweens?) that we can use as litmus tests to rate this film next to.

So, like we could say that the violence level was on par with [such] movie. Then, the parents could evaluate how their child would handle the violence of that film and make the decision accordingly.

Would that work?

Braveheart, Patriot, and The Last Samurai I thought were horribly (and unecessarily) violent. That's about the extent of my list, because I don't let much of it in my house. Also - we rented "Final Destination" and got through about 15 minutes before I turned it off. HORRIBLE , senseless violence for the sake of violence. Also - I thought "Terminator" was very violent - thinking of the scene where someone shoves a sword down someone's throat. Geesh.

However, I don't think we can equate the "Passion" violence with that stuff because this is a real story and showing what happened is necessary. Slicing someone's head off graphically for the "fun" of watching is way different than seeing what was done to Christ - or is it?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I try to see it through Jesus' eyes.........do you think He wants us to watch it????? Do you think He really wants us to have an intimate protrait of His great suffering?

Would we want to watch movies of the saints being boiled in oil or graphic portrayals of them being ripped apart by lions and such? Even the movies like Quo Vadis that were more suggestive of the violence were hard enough to watch.

I think the thing that disappoints me most about this movie so far is that they did not balance the suffering with a grandiose portrayal of the resurrection. I hear the resurrection was rather anti-climatic. I think the resurrection should be the defintive scene in the movie and the most improtant impression left in someone's mind. The reviews I've seen have virtually nothing about the resurrection and everything about the suffering and torture.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Ok, here's my thought.  How about all you that go and see it this upcoming week.  Give us a report in regard to kids, AFTER you have seen it.  I'm not planning to go on opening day anyway, so would you share what you think after you've seen it?

Thanks!

In His Love,

Suzanne

Suzanne, do you mean take my son and tell you his reaction?? I will, if I end up taking him. I am just so unsure.

Either way, I'll let you know. :exclaimation:

No, not at all. I meant those of you adults who have seen it, let us know. I think my whole struggle is, not having seen it myself as an adult, I can't even gauge how emotional and traumatic it would be for a child, if I can't quite be sure, how I, as an adult will deal with it. And since none of us have seen it yet, to give a first hand account, we don't even have a starting point to go from.

That is what is making it hard for me. I have not heard straight from anybody's mouth, how it effected them, especially in regard to children. So, just to hear adults responses to this movie, (I mean those of you here, who I know are Christians that are discerning and that I would trust) would help me tremendously in the thought process on this issue.

:il:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I have sort of mixed feelings about all the violence too, I know Mel Gibsen said he wants to move people over the edge.

I know the reality of Jesus suffering was very real--but I don't know of extra attention to bloody stuff wouldn't make people sick, I find it hard to look at any kind of violence, but then on the other hand there are people as hard as stones who have no feelings about this at all and this might touch them.

I quess we will know on Wednesday after people have gone to see it.

We have a foster girl from 13 years old living with us , she's a new Christian and in no way would I take her to see this movie.

I believe thats its better for younger people to have a picture from a risen Lord in their head, then a very bloody scary picture of Jesus.

But I agree very much with the making of this movie and I'm glad Mel Gibson did it, would this be the last warning to the world from the Lord before Jesus comes back? This movie will be seen all over the world and will the end come soon after this?

Maranatha Jesus come. Angels

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

I haven't seen the movie myself yet so this is only an observance. With video games and television being so graphic these days I don't think whatever violence in the Passion will scar them any more than what they see today. Will I take my children to see it? Yes I will. But first I want to see it to make sure it follows the truth. Its time that the world stop being hyppocritical and face the truth instead of hiding behind lies. What mankind did to Jesus Christ was violent and horrible. Yet God knew our violent nature and Christ did have the option of passing when he was asked by God to die for mans sins. And if the Passion shows the truth than so be it. Remember the Truth shall set you free.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Here is something else I was thinking about last night and discussing with my husband regarding this movie:

If I were put in a situation where I had to endure severe torture for the sake of my children, would I later wish for them to have to watch every intimate and agonizing detail of my suffering so they would know how much I loved them? I think not.

I don't even want my children to have to 're-live' the pain and suffering I endured in childbirth, or to be familliar with every gory detail, in order to bring them into this world.

I wish that the suffering were not the main point of the movie, because there was so much more to Christ's ministry that is important for us to get intimate with.

My father, who is an atheist, thinks that it's perverted for a Christian to want to watch the suffering and torture of one who they love so much. Now I know that atheist's opinions don't count for much with Christians, but it is an interesting perspective. I know I could never bear to watch my children be tortured, I honestly don't believe I could watch my Saviour either. I don't think I will be going to the movie.

On the lighter side, I'm not even sure if we would be able to get in since we don't belong to a particular church! The churches are buying up all the seats, how are the unbelievers even going to get in?????????

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hey, OA -

If it really, really goes against your heart to see this movie, then by all means do not feel pressured to see it. It's not like seeing or not seeing the movie is any kind of religious precidence or anything!

But I at least hope you understand - right, wrong or indifferent, we live in a visual society. Our vision is our strongest sense as it is naturally, but with the growth of TV, movies, videos, pictures, and all, our society responds more to the visual images than written words. To that extent, the visual account may sink in deeper to some people.

Of course, the Gospels were written more to teach than to tell a story, or at least it was not written in our form of story telling. Thus, for anyone to portray the event in our way of portraying events is a little tricky. Our way of telling stories (even true ones) is to go deep into the hearts and minds of the people involved in the story - the main character as well as supporting characters. A good story uses imageries and symbolisms and focuses in and out of certain details. There really is an artisticness about it. Even the words used to describe a sunrise can set the tone for a story.

So how do you preach the Gospel to a modern society?

Sure, this is one man's "telling the story" of Christ's sacrifice for us. Sure it is not going to be the way other people would tell it. Without a time machine, we could never know the "true" details.

So, if not seeing the movie jives better with your convictions, by all means go with your convictions! I just request that those of us with alternative convictions not be looked upon as disgusting. OK?