• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,153
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Only thing I can add to the above is that I believe magnesium citrate is the better bio-available form.

On 9/17/2015 at 8:52 PM, thereselittleflower said:

The spasms I have are in an unfortunate spot -  I never realized how much one uses the muscles in their rear end.

Considering the number of posts you put up (ergo, time sitting before a computer), I can think of a reason why.  :D

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I know this sounds crazy, but if spasms or charlie horses (as we call them), happen at night...we use a bar of soap under the bed sheets.  It as worked for me for years, and others that I know.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

I occasionally get them. They are horribly painful. And yes they are usually at night while you are not using your muscles. A common reason for them is a lack of potassium or magnesium or being dehydrated. I have hear of several different remedies. I have heard of the bar of soap as well. :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  2

Ordinary unrefined sea salt. People are told to cut down on salt, which is true about commonly used salt that has flowing agents etc. and has been stripped of other minor elements associated with sea salt. But we need ordinary salt to be healthy. Cramps are typically relieved by a saline drink.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Hymalian salt is very good...and tasty

4 hours ago, Kan said:

Ordinary unrefined sea salt. People are told to cut down on salt, which is true about commonly used salt that has flowing agents etc. and has been stripped of other minor elements associated with sea salt. But we need ordinary salt to be healthy. Cramps are typically relieved by a saline drink.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

People who have acid reflux or GERDS often take Nexium or other protein pump inhibiters on a regular basis.  If we don't eat much red meat often we can become very low in magnesium.    It ended me in the ER with irregular heart beat that was solved with Slo-Mag, a cal. mag.. supplement.  But I can't take it for several hours after taking other medicines, and must take them at least 6 hours after taking the Slo-Mag.  

But our son has myofacial pain syndrome which causes such bad cramps that they tear his tendons.  I will tell him of some of your suggestions.  But he does eat a lot of red meat.

13 minutes ago, Willa said:

People who have acid reflux or GERDS often take Nexium or other protein pump inhibiters on a regular basis.  If we don't eat much red meat often we can become very low in magnesium.    It ended me in the ER with irregular heart beat that was solved with Slo-Mag, a cal. mag.. supplement.  But I can't take it for several hours after taking other medicines, and must take them at least 6 hours after taking the Slo-Mag.  

But our son has myofacial pain syndrome which causes such bad cramps that they tear his tendons.  I will tell him of some of your suggestions.  But he does eat a lot of red meat.

Yes,if your potassium or magnesium is off it can cause an irregular heart beat. You have to be careful to not get too much potassium or magnesium as well. That can do just as much damage.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

On 9/17/2015 at 9:54 PM, other one said:

what helps me is a small bottle of tonic water.....   it has quinine in it and stops the cramps for me.

That is an old remedy that works and one use to buy quinine at a drug stone; but now you can only find in tonic water. I do not like the taste of but it does help.

1 hour ago, coheir said:

That is an old remedy that works and one use to buy quinine at a drug stone; but now you can only find in tonic water. I do not like the taste of but it does help.

If you use quinine please do some research on it on google. There are a number of side effects when taking quinine.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

5 hours ago, bopeep1909 said:

If you use quinine please do some research on it on google. There are a number of side effects when taking quinine.

that is why we can not buy it any more. It only come in the tonic water that does not have enough to harm one. unless they drink a lot at one time. In my case my legs cramp up so bad while in bed I have to have something to hold onto just to get out of bed. the cramps lock my toes pointing toward the foot of the bed and can I not get rid of them in bed. When I try to get out of bed I can not stand cause my toes are pointed at floor and I have fallen more than once. Now I have some thing by bed to hold on to so I can put all my weight on my toes to force my feet back into normal position. I tried banana, magnesium. potassium spoke to doctor he did nothing. the quinine helps some. It does not cure and sometimes I just don't want it cause of the bad taste it has. I do not know what else to do.