ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I read a recent article hereon the use of hypnosis during some surgeries to combat pain, and how it is keeping down health care costs. I know others use hypnosis to battle chronic pain.

Should a Christian use hypnosis? It not, are some circumstances ok? Scriptural support please for answers.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I read a recent article hereon the use of hypnosis during some surgeries to combat pain, and how it is keeping down health care costs. I know others use hypnosis to battle chronic pain.

Should a Christian use hypnosis? It not, are some circumstances ok? Scriptural support please for answers.

I'm very leary of hypnosis for any reason at all. Coming from a period in my life interfacing with the demonic spiritual world, I find it to be putting one's self in much more danger than it would/could possibly help. I'd go for the drugs myself. There are some forms of self hypnosis that might be safe, but that to me is still not spiritually safe. Any time you open your sub concious up to direct outside influence, it's dangerous..... and that would include drugs for pain releaf.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Hypnosis is opening your mind to suggestions. I gave myself to Christ and will not allow any other person to dictate how I think.

1 Corinthians 2:16

For “who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:23

You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with the others here. hypnotherapy subjugates the patient to the suggestions of the therapist. Now I'm not saying therapist are evil people bent on destroying you (some are) but when you offer yourself up to that state of openness and willingness to follow suggestions you can bet your last dollar Satan and his horde are just dying to give you their suggestions. Sometimes I think we write off Lucifer because he is a defeated foe but he can still do damage and will at any opportunity you give him.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hypnosis takes away your control over your mind.

How can you be taking your thoughts captive (2 Cor 10:5), if you're under hypnosis?

You simply cannot ... and it provides an open doorway for Satan to enter.

Subliminal messages are in the same category as hypnosis,

according to an old friend of mine ... an ex-hypotist ... now a Christian.

As a matter of fact, we wrote a tract about this, and it caused Charisma

magazine to stop taking advertisements re: subliminal messages.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

It depends.

I have posted before about dealing with pain. It does not always work, but I have been able, on many occasions to combat pain by "self hypnosis"

I have been in a dentists chair for instance, or before being put under to have kidney stones shot with ultra sound (now there is pain!), having a procedure that is uncomfortable and have recited over and over a scripture' Like "the Lord is my Shepard".

It is hard to explain, but I concentrate so hard on the pain, that I "become" the pain.

I fell asleep in the dentists chair once, and he had to wake me up. He was incredulous that someone could fall asleep while he was working on them (no gas, just pain injections).

With my kidney stones (anyone will tell you it is probably one of the worst pains one can go through), I got up at 3 am when the attack started. Crawled to the bathroom and threw up from pain alone. Then I threw on some clothes and drove one hour to the nearest hospital by myself. My friends and family were a bit upset because the pain can cause blackouts. (I phoned them when the morphine kicked in and asked them to bring my toothbrush because I was in hospital). Morphine, hmmm, I might be able to concentrate on pain, but I am not stupid enough to refuse something that takes it away.... :cool:

I imagine Jesus standing next to me, recite one verse over and over, concentrate on the pain and nothing but the pain, and go "somewhere else", and it has helped me to cope with pain on numerous occasions.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I would not subject to anothers suggestion. I have to agree with the others. We belong to Christ and we should be sober minded whilst allowing the Lord to rule over our hearts and minds.:thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I would not subject to another's suggestion. I have to agree with the others. We belong to Christ and we should be sober minded whilst allowing the Lord to rule over our hearts and minds.:thumbsup:

I have been giving it some thought Dave. While my "method" is me alone doing it to a degree (does not always work), what about us having the Holy spirit indwelling? If we have the Holy Spirit in us, I don't think he is going to be affected by hypnosis?

I mean to say, hypnosis cannot influence ones Spirit, only our minds. And if we are filled with the Spirit we cannot even sub consciously, be made to do anything against our nature surely?

Could something be done to us? Maybe that is the danger?

Dunno, just posing a question I guess....

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I have had cronic knee pain off and on since I had knee surgery in the Air Force in the late 60's. Some weeks it's particullary painful and if I try very hard I can decide that the pain feels good and a while later I'm not paying attention to it.

I know that sounds dumb, but for me it does work part of the time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I would not like to be hypnotized because of the lack of control aspect of it. That's me, but what if someone is hypnotized by someone they can trust absolutely? Just posing the question....