• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Strong's Concordence:

G3957

pascha

pas'-khah

Of Chaldee origin (compare [H6453]); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it): - Easter, Passover.

Strong's Concordance will tell you how a word has been translated in different verses. However, it cannot tell you the correct translation for any particular occurrence of the word.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Onelight, thank you for setting me straight.

No, Satan absolutely cannot bring God's plan of Salvation into someone's life, but he can hinder it, and sometimes altogether he will stop it. So with that line of reasoning, I believe Satan can also choose ( not to fight) for this person or that person at that particular time, especially if the new believer is being deceived by God’s Word, due to publisher bias or errors.

Below is II Samuel 21:19. KJV states David killed Goliiath, the NIV states David’s brother Elhanan killed Golliath

2 Samuel 21:19

King James Version (KJV)

19 And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

2 Samuel 21:19

New International Version (NIV)

19 In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver’s rod.

I can see Satan looking at God’s distorted word and say, oh yeah, let that one through. This is certainly just my opinion. This next thought I am about to make however I know to be true.

If, when in a battle for someone’s soul, or in a direct fight against Satan such as a “deliverance”, if I or anyone else would go up against Satan and say…”in the name of Jesus, just as God’s Word says Elhanan struck down Golliath, so will your henchmen be truck down here tonight according to God’s will”, I think Satan would laugh me out of the church, and he would every right too.

On the other hand if I said to Satan…”in the name of Jesus, just as God’s Words says David struck down Golliath, so will your henchmen be struck down here tonight according to God’s will”, I think Satan would have to snap to attention a little bit more so than the garbled word of the NIV.

I just believe the KJV has more power behind it, don’t you? If you disagree with that, that's ok too :)

Edited by upnorthfan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I believe more in the power of the Holy Spirit than in any particular version/translation of scripture. It has been mentioned before, so I will add my agreement to the idea/statement. If you want to know what scripture meant when it was written, study the culture of the day and the original language. Doing so will allow one to see what the initial intent of the message was. One can then seek guidance from God as to how to apply it to our lives today.

I stay as far away from the battle over "the correct translation" as I can. I spent much time studying the different ways scripture was translated and have come to the agreement that God will teach us through the Holy Spirit what He wants us to know, no matter which translation we use. If we are using one that He does not approve of, He will move the person onto one He wants them to use.

As to where the money goes when we purchase from a particular company, this is out of our hands. When I read about those who worry about this, I often wonder if they investigate every single purchase they make to ensure that no portion of their money would go to any ungodly purpose? If this is the case, and they do, their house must be sparse and their cupboards empty.

To be honest, our time would be better spent leading the lost to Christ. God will use what we bring for His end.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

When I read about those who worry about this, I often wonder if they investigate every single purchase they make to ensure that no portion of their money would go to any ungodly purpose? If this is the case, and they do, their house must be sparse and their cupboards empty.

To be honest, our time would be better spent leading the lost to Christ. God will use what we bring for His end.

Wise words spoken OneLight.

Perhapse, those very cupboards even.

Designed by someone who we would not agree with about their lifestyle. :noidea:

At times we can become afraid of our own shadow.

Lets spend our time in a wise way. :)

When Satan came to Jesus in the wilderness and misquoted scripture, Jesus immediately corrected his error and quoted it correctly.

Many God loving Christians are resigned to the fact that because idolitry items are of such a great number, why fight it? That is not what God wants. He wants us to cleanse our homes from all ungodlyness, and the best way to do that is get rid of items demmons have a right to cling to, then walk your property line seven times while praying for God's protective hedge to keep all demonic forces at bay.

Has anyone here ever done that?

This is more for a topic in a demonolgy thread than it is here. If you ask anyone who was deep into Satanism, and now have come to the Lord, everyone of them will tell you there are a number of household items that give permission for a demon to stay.

When I read about those who worry about this, I often wonder if they investigate every single purchase they make to ensure that no portion of their money would go to any ungodly purpose? If this is the case, and they do, their house must be sparse and their cupboards empty.

Thank you. I think it would be prudent to get our own household in order as well before we start looking outward. I think the Lord would see Wisdom in that ;)

But, let's agree to disagree and move on.

Edited by upnorthfan

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31

Thank you. I think it would be prudent to get our own household in order as well before we start looking outward. I think the Lord would see Wisdom in that ;)

But, let's agree to disagree and move on.

Up, I think you are missing the point. If you feel convicted on the matter, then by all means do as the Lord tells you, deal with your own "house". If God has not convicted someone else on this, then maybe you should assume their house is in order. It would appear to me that you are implying there is something wrong with their walk with God, and that is not your call to make. Christians are called to go out and preach the gospel, our fellowship should be edifying, and nothing about this is edifying, it is more along the lines of finger pointing.

Up, I think you are missing the point. If you feel convicted on the matter, then by all means do as the Lord tells you, deal with your own "house". If God has not convicted someone else on this, then maybe you should assume their house is in order. It would appear to me that you are implying there is something wrong with their walk with God, and that is not your call to make. Christians are called to go out and preach the gospel, our fellowship should be edifying, and nothing about this is edifying, it is more along the lines of finger pointing.

You don't feel this is a dig toward my belief? "When I read about those who worry about this, I often wonder if they investigate every single purchase they make to ensure that no portion of their money would go to any ungodly purpose? If this is the case, and they do, their house must be sparse and their cupboards empty".

It's mocking me plain and simple, yet here you are defending those who constantly attack me. In fact, I have had several barbs thrown my way, I just sit there and take it politely, play nice, smile and continue on as if nothing was said.

Edited by upnorthfan

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31

You don't feel this is a dig toward my belief? "When I read about those who worry about this, I often wonder if they investigate every single purchase they make to ensure that no portion of their money would go to any ungodly purpose? If this is the case, and they do, their house must be sparse and their cupboards empty".

It's mocking me plain and simple, yet here you are defending those who constantly attack me. In fact, I have had several barbs thrown my way, I just sit there and take it politely, play nice, smile and continue on as if nothing was said.

No, I do not believe it was a dig at you, I think it was a good point. As I stated to you now on several occasions, zondervan also publishes the kjv, so what bible does that leave to read? This is just another way of making that same point by expanding on the same premise, not a dig.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Hey Folks,

I just pulled out my 30 year old original NIV Bible. I read the entire chapter of 1 Samuel 17. It mentioned Goliath by name only a few times. For the remainder of the chapter Goliath is referred to as the Philistine. It's not at all confusing as to who The Philistine was. I suppose if the NIV translators would have known people would doubt this story they could have easily translated the Philistine as Goliath. As for who actually slew the Philistine, the NIV says it was David, and it uses the name of David more than once. See 1 Samuel 17:50 & 51, in the original NIV.

I just checked the copyright data of my Bible and it's 1978. That was about 1 year before I became aware of it. It also says it was published by the New York International Bile Society. If the forces of darkness have polluted the later versions of the NIV, then I am saddened indeed. I have compared my NIV to the KJV often, and there was never a difference in the facts. The only differences is that my NIV is much more easy to read. Sometimes I thought the KJV made the point better. But usually I couldn't grasp the way old English is spoken, so I had to stay with my NIV.

I guess now I will have to compare my NIV with the various online NIV's.