IGNORED

OT - What is your favorite passage(s) in the OT? Why?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

What is your favorite passage (s) in the Old Testament? (Please limit to 4) Why?

If applicable, what does this passage teach you about God and your relationship to Him?

God bless,

GE

16 views and no takers?

I guess due to the length and scope of the OT there really weren't any takers. Surprisingly other than the book of John this (the OT) is what I've been focusing on lately. I’ve been studying and reading the Psalms lately. Perhaps the most significant Psalms in my life are Psalm 3, 8, 23, and 28.

A. Our Shield: 
Psalm 3 was written by David in a time of difficulty. This passage has special significance to me personally at it showed me in a time of difficulty God’s character. That no matter who it was that rose up against me and increased my troubles God was my shield. (Vs.1, 3) I cried to God and He heard me. (Vs. 4) At the time I was working in retail. I was suspended from work for submitting a suggestion in document form for training improvements. The suggestion was not met with positive feedback. The CEO basically decided I should be suspended. This was completely unexpected. In fact there was even a threat to terminate my employment. I was suspended without pay for 10 days. But praise God I was able to keep my job! At the time I was working only part-time so this was a serious blow to our finances. We were also given out of the blue a love offering which was enough to cover our bills for that month. I realized at that time I would not put my trust in my employment or employer. And God blessed my family with this challenge. Salvation belongs to God! God blesses His people! (Vs. 8) 

Psalm 28, particularly verses 6-9, is a similar Psalm that God gave me when I had no direction in life for a time. I suffered depression and lived in fear of others. Yet God showed me methodically and gently that He was my shield. I realized that I couldn’t find strength in anyone else. God healed my heart and showed his amazingly patient love to this sinner. Not because of anything I deserved, but because of Who He is. God’s love isn’t dependent on my actions and I praise Him for it! 

B. Our Good Shepherd: 
Psalm 23 showed me God’s character in that He is the Good Shepherd. He provides for us with what we need in green pastures and still waters. (Vs. 2) To me this meant that God would provide the necessities of life: food, shelter, clothing, and transportation. He restores us to Himself in the path of righteousness for His name’s sake. (Vs. 3) As Children of God we are adopted into His family as co-heirs in Christ. I understood that everything works together for good for those who love God and are called unto His purposes. I wasn’t going to fear evil or dark valleys because God was with me. (Vs. 4) The promise of eternal life is a beautiful thing. (Vs. 6)

C. Praise God’s Glory in Creation: 
Psalm 8 tells of God’s Glory in creation. The name of the Lord is praised in the heavens and the earth. (Vs. 1) God uses the weak for His purposes. (Vs. 2) Everything points to God. (Vs. 3) Everything is made by God’s hands – sheep, oxen, beasts of the field, birds of the air, and fish of the sea. (Vs. 7-8) God’s name is excellent and creation attests to His works in all the earth! (Vs. 9) 

Your thoughts? Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

God bless,

GE

1Sa 16:7 KJV But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

We often can be troubled by our physical stature, appearance, or abilities. God knows what we are able to accomplish and provides the means to do so.

1Sa 17:37 KJV David said moreover, The LORD that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the LORD be with thee.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Numbers 6:24-26: The Lord bless thee, and keep thee: The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

This teaches me that, being grafted onto the vine, this beautiful blessing for Israel is ours to claim as well. It's yet another example of the love and concern God feels for us, His children.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Oh boy where to start ...

I love psalms and wanted to post some from there, but I will limit it to Psalm 23, especially verse 4. Yea I know its so well known, but verse 4 gives me peace in troubles.

Psalms 23

1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

3 He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

This part of Genesis 22 is striking to me because of the type depiction of the sacrifice of Jesus. There is so much to see within this passage.

Genesis 22

1 ¶ And it happened after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, Abraham! And he said, Behold me.

2 And He said, Take now your son, your only one, Isaac, whom you love. And go into the land of Moriah, and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will name to you.

3 ¶ And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son. And he split the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up and went to the place of which God had told him.

4 Then on the third day, Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place afar off.

5 And Abraham said to his young men, You stay here with the ass. And I and the boy will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son. And he took the fire in his hand, and a knife. And they both went together.

7 And Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, My father. And he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood. But where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering. So they both went together.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of. And Abraham built an altar there and laid the wood in order. And he bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on the wood.

10 And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.

11 ¶ And the Angel of Jehovah called to him from the heavens and said, Abraham! Abraham! And he said, Here am I.

12 And He said, Do not lay your hand on the lad, nor do anything to him. For now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only one, from Me.

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked. And, behold, a ram behind him was entangled in a thicket by its horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son.

14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah Will See; so that it is said until this day, In the mount of Jehovah it will be seen.

15 ¶ And the Angel of the LORD called to Abraham out of the heavens the second time,

16 and said, I have sworn by Myself, says the LORD; because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only one;

17 that in blessing I will bless you, and in multiplying I will multiply your seed like the stars of the heavens, and as the sand which is upon the seashore. And your Seed shall possess the gate of His enemies.

18 And in your Seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.

19 Abraham returned to his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beer-sheba. And Abraham lived at Beer-sheba.

Short passage but a good reminder that yelling and kicking at the goads is really not a good idea.

Job 40

1 And the LORD answered Job and said,

2 Shall a reprover contend with the Almighty? He who reproves God, let him answer it.

These two passages go together for me. So I decided it counted as 1 passage lol. The only thing that matters is the Lord and our relationship to Him. Whatever we do, whatever legacy on earth we have is really nothing. At one point I wanted to "make a name" for myself. Its part of the measurement of success my parents raised us up with. These passages are a reminder that really it is nothing at all. Success should only be measured in His eyes, in our standing with Him.

Ecclesiastes 1

2 Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! all is vanity.

Isaiah 40

6 The voice said, Cry! And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the beauty of it is as the flower of the field.

7 The grass withers, the flower fades, because the Spirit of the LORD blows on it; surely the people is grass.

8 The grass withers, the flower fades; but the Word of our God shall stand forever.

Too many to choose from but these speak personally to me.

Hosea 2:19-20

“I will betroth you to Me
forever;

Yes, I will betroth you to Me

In
righteousness and justice,

In
loving kindness and mercy;

I will betroth you to Me in
faithfulness,

And you shall
know
the Lord.

Ps 23 :

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down ingreen pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters,

3 He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.

Psalm 19:7-11

The law of the Lord is perfect,

refreshing the soul.

The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,

making wise the simple.

The precepts of the Lord are right,

giving
joy to the heart.

The commands of the Lord are
radiant,

giving
light
to the eyes.

The fear of the Lord is pure,

enduring forever.

The decrees of the Lord are
firm,

and all of them are righteous.

They are
more precious
than
gold,

than much pure gold;

they are sweeter than honey,

than honey from the honeycomb.

By them your servant is warned;

in keeping them there is great reward.

* What I get from these passages is that my
everything
is bound in God's faithfulness and utter love toward me.

He's always FOR me. Always.

16 views and no takers?

Only Better Eaters Know

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Psalms 130

3 If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?

4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

5 I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.

Psalms 150

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalms 17

15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Isaiah 53

[Really the whole chapter, but especially in bold.]

9 ...he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Psalms 130

3 If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?

4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

5 I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.

Psalms 150

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalms 17

15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Isaiah 53

[Really the whole chapter, but especially in bold.]

9 ...he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Great passages. :thumbsup:

Why do you like these passages?

God bless,

GE