wingnut-

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

You all DO realize the title of this thread says Split Womanhood Pants, right? I needed a good laugh.

I didn't even catch that! :laughing:

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

This issue always confuses me. From everything I've read or heard, people in Biblical times, male and female, all wore long, flowing type garments. How would they assign gender to clothing?

Here are questions I would ask of you. How does someone arrive at the conclusion it is wrong for a man to wear a dress? Lets look at the very argument people are making here to defend women in pants. Everyone used to wear robes. Doesn't that mean that it should be ok for a man to wear a dress? In most cases, I can still tell it is a man. Would your church be ok with a man in a dress teaching their kids Sunday School class? I have told of the solicitation I once got from Concerned Women For America, condemning a book about a little boy who wore a skirt to school his Mother made for him. They were condemning it as teaching little boys to wear clothing for women, even though the skirt was made specifically for him, and a little girl in the story defended him as she aked, "what is the problem, I wear pants." How do we know any clothes are gender specific? If women are just as feminine in pants as a dress or skirt, doesn't it stand to reason a man is just as masculine in a dress as in jeans? Also, the Bible doesn't say anything about simply being able to tell what sex someone is. It says the woman shall not wear that which pertains to a woman, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment. One can be obviously a man or woman and still be guilty of this transgression.

I suppose you're right; the Bible doesn't forbid a man wearing a dress. The 'pertaineth to' comes into play here though. I know of no designer that creates dresses for men; the reason? No market for them.....most men just aren't going to wear dresses whereas many, many women want to wear pants (which are made specifically for them). Unless one is wearing clothing made for the opposite sex, I see no problem at all. :mgbowtie:

Guest HisG

The ancients wore flowing robes sure, but they still wore them in differing styles and colours.

I doubt an ancient man would want to wear his robes in the style of a womans - unless he was a bit unbalanced.

Look at Indian women and saris. The traditional Indian males garment is nothing like a female sari.

I wear pants, jeans, buttoned up shirts but they are all in the female style. I do not wear mens jeans, shorts or shirts.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

It says the woman shall not wear that which pertains to a woman,

sorry I couldn't resist.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

I prefer my pants etc now I think men would look funny in my pants since theyre made for women lol now in old days didnt all folks wear robes etc to begin with? I mean men could of been stuck wearing dresses ya know if society would of decided it I dont think God cares about clothes considering He made adam and eve naked to begin with yet things has changed since then I dont think its wrong for women to wear pants etc i think its fine and dandy just saying

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

You are going to have every good Scotsman outraged. I would have no problem with a Scotsman in a kilt teaching my kids in Sunday School.

When did harem pants first come into being? Perhaps that is when women first started wearing pants.

Men also wore togas and shorter skirts in the Romans day, as I recall.

Weren't the first clothes fig leaves, and then made from animal skins?

Modesty should be the first concern of a Christian. I don't think speedos, most bikinnis, skinny jeans, hot pants, or pants worn low so as to show off ones underware or lack thereof, or dresses worn while gardening or getting on the floor to teach pre school kids can be considered modest unless they are floor length. Then they are very inconvenient.

I see nothing wrong with men and women wearing knee length shorts in church or any other clothing that is modest at any time. Some parts of our country have differing customs. We in more rural parts of the west are very informal. Women are discouraged from wearing dressy dresses and 4" heals to our church, strong purfumes, and other things which might attract attention to themselves and detract our attention from God . But nothing is said to them. They are loved and accepted in hopes that they will be eventually see where we want our focus to lie. On God.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Henry the 8th wore tights and tunics - very colourful ! The men could try that - a compromise leggings and dress so to speak albeit short.

Did Jesus not say that it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles a person not what one eats? Is this not a version of that? It is not what one wears but what one says that defiles him/her?

Rush is most sarcastic when he calls certain women "babes". I have never been offended when he calls women that - there is always a reason and for that tongue in cheek remark - generally attempting to elicit a response.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

While reading through this thread I couldn't quit thinking about Adam and Eve when they found out and saw they were naked and were ashamed. Both of them went and sewed them some clothes to cover themselves out of fig leaves off a tree. Eve was the first woman, wife and mother. I wonder if there was a distinction made between the fig leaves she sewed together for some clothes. Adam was the first man, father and husband.........Did he gather special fig leaves in one place to sew together for his clothing?........Did Eve have to go to a special place to pick her fig leaves made for women only in order to show her womanhood, feminity and modesty?..............What do you suppose those first garments on earth made out of fig leaves looked like?.........Was one set of leaves used to make a skirt for Eve and the other set of leaves used to make pants for Adam?......Just got curious about these things while reading through this thread..........Was Adam and Eve's first set of clothes made from fig leaves exactly identical to one another after they finished sewing them up?......Did the clothes look the same?.............God himself made Adam and Eve's second set a clothes for them.............God made them out of the skin of an animal he had slew for them to wear to cover up their nakedness ............Both sets of clothes from the fig leaves and the ones made from the animal skin had the same purpose.....That purpose was to specifically cover up their nakedness - hence- modesty. I personally believe strongly that a person be it male or female should keep their stuff covered up period..........I wonder what the clothes God made from the animals skin actually looked like.......were they exactly the same or was there a distinction in style made between Eve clothes and Adam's clothes?......Did seperate animals skin have to be used to make clothes for Eve and another animals skin used to make the clothes for Adam.......... Just Curious Here

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

There are countries / cultures where traditional men's clothing might be robe/dress-like garments.. or skirt-like garments etc. for men.... As long as the clothes are modest and do not have any non-Christian religious connotations etc - is it wrong for Christians in those cultures / countries to wear those traditional men's garments to church? Or even to teach Sunday School? And if so why?

Edited by just_abc

Guest Butero

While reading through this thread I couldn't quit thinking about Adam and Eve when they found out and saw they were naked and were ashamed. Both of them went and sewed them some clothes to cover themselves out of fig leaves off a tree. Eve was the first woman, wife and mother. I wonder if there was a distinction made between the fig leaves they sewed together for some clothes. Adam was the first man, father and husband.........Did he gather special fig leaves in one place just for him to use for his clothing?........Did Eve have to go to a special place to pick her fig leaves made for women only to show her womanhood, feminity and modesty?..............What do you suppose those first garments on earth made out of fig leaves looked like?.........Was one set of leaves used to make a skirt for Eve and the other set of leaves used to make pants for Adam?......Just got curious about these things while reading through this thread..........Did Adam and Eve's first set of clothes made from fig leaves exactly identical to one another after they finished sewing them up?......Did the clothes look the same?..........God himself made Adam and Eve's second set a clothes for them.............God made them out of the skin of an animal he had slew for them to wear to cover up their nakedness ............Both sets of clothes from the fig leaves and the ones made from the animal skin had the same purpose.....That purpose was specifically to cover up their nakedness - hence- modesty. I personally believe strongly that a person be it male or female should keep their stuff covered up period..........I wonder what the clothes God made from the animals skin actually looked like.......were they exactly the same or was there a distinction in style made between Eve clothes and Adam's clothes?......Did seperate animals skin have to be used to make clothes for Eve and another animals skin used to make the clothes for Adam.......... Just Curious Here

The only problem with this line of reasoning is that this was before the law. It wasn't until the law of Moses was given that there was a law in place that said people were supposed to wear clothing that pertained to a certain sex. The fig leaves were Adam and Eve's feeble attempt to quickly cover themselves. We know nothing of the garments God made for them of animal skins, and what they looked like.