• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  325
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1966

Recently, we have been studying the minor prophets at church. In doing my Bible study last week, I noticed something interesting. In Jonah 3:10, 4:1-2 Jonah who had just been disobedient to the Lord, and was forgiven by the Lord and sent on his way to Nineveh, then got angry with God for forgiving Nineveh.

What are your thoughts?

Guest ninhao

I had never considered before the implication of the forgiveness given to Jonah until it was raised by Love is alive in the chatroom today. If Jonah could not forgive the people of Nineveh, and expected God to destroy them, how could he expect God to forgive him for disobeying and attempting to flee onto Tarshish ?

It is a very interesting view of forgiveness and it appears Jonah was extremely fortunate we have a forgiving God.

Mat_6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Another thing !

Jon 4:6 And the LORD God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd.

Jonah was very pleased to be spared from the sun at the hand of God but exceedingly angry that God had spared the people of Nineveh.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Recently, we have been studying the minor prophets at church. In doing my Bible study last week, I noticed something interesting. In Jonah 3:10, 4:1-2 Jonah who had just been disobedient to the Lord, and was forgiven by the Lord and sent on his way to Nineveh, then got angry with God for forgiving Nineveh.

What are your thoughts?

The whole book of Jonah is an object lesson in forgiveness vs. judgment. Throughout the book you can see the contrast of Jonah's hatred against Nineveh being so strong he would rather die than to see them repent versus those that would forgive (ever notice that the men in the boat risked their lives to save Jonah, even though it was Jonah's fault their lives were threatened by the storm?).

The book even ends on an open note. I like how The Veggie Tales movie ends the story - one of the children asks, "But did Jonah learn his lesson?" Pa Pea responds, "The question in: did you learn the lesson?"

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Why was Jonah angry that the Ninevites repented (Jonah 4:1-2)?"

Answer: It seems strange that a preacher would be angry that his listeners repented of their sin, but that is exactly Jonah’s reaction to the Ninevites’ repentance. Jonah 4:2 tells us why: “O LORD, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster.” Jonah knew from the start that God was gracious and merciful. He realized that if the people of Nineveh repented, God would spare them. The prophet was angry at their repentance because he would rather see them destroyed.

There are several possible reasons for Jonah’s desire to see Nineveh destroyed. First, Nineveh was the capital city of Assyria, a ruthless and warlike people who were enemies of Israel. Nineveh’s destruction would have been seen as a victory for Israel. Second, Jonah probably wanted to see Nineveh’s downfall to satisfy his own sense of justice. After all, Nineveh deserved God’s judgment. Third, God’s withholding of judgment from Nineveh could have made Jonah’s words appear illegitimate, since he had predicted the city’s destruction.

We can learn from Jonah’s negative example that we should praise God for His goodness. First, our God is a merciful God, willing to forgive all those who repent (see 2 Peter 3:9). The Ninevites were Gentiles, yet God still extended His salvation to them. In His goodness, God warned the Assyrians before sending judgment, giving them a chance to repent.

Second, God cares for people of every nation. He is, by nature, a Savior. As Luke 15 reveals in the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin, and lost son, God’s heart is for the redemption of all who will come to Him. Further, the Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 emphasizes God’s call to take God’s message of “good news” to all the nations. Romans 1:16 also emphasizes the importance of sharing the gospel with both Jews and non-Jews.

Third, God is concerned for children. The mention of “more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left” (Jonah 4:11) may refer to young children. When God mentions His concern for this group, He highlights His love and concern for all the children of the world.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jonah-angry.html#ixzz2TZtQjH3p

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I like Jonah because: been there, done that. Early in my walk with Christ I had great difficulty loving and forgiving an in-law who taunted me and physically threatened me for my faith in Christ.

Considering how wicked Ninavah was and the atrocities they were in the habit of committing, it was like forgiving Hitler and his brand of Germany and preaching repentance to them while he was in power. They were all completely the worst kind of pagan. It is easy to judge Jonah, but not so easy to walk in his shoes. He was not indwelt by the Holy Spirit as we are today.

He did not have Christ living in him, imparting His love and forgiveness. When I fought this battle some 40 years ago, I would repeatedly ask God for grace to love and forgive my in-law. I would get my heart right, go back and be attacked again (usually verbally). He was an abusive and vile man, but I would remind myself that Christ died for sinners and ask that He love the guy through me. It kept me on my knees. I eventually learned to be in prayer the whole time I was around him. But I never loved him as Christ did.

So I have identified with the way Johah felt. There were times that I pouted and sat under that gord with him and Elijah with all the fear and outrage in my heart. They were my friends. They understood. But I would get my heart squared away again and get up to face him again. It was in this time that I learned about how the enemy uses these situations, that satan is my true enemy because he so corrupted my in-law. I learned how to witness here, depending on God to fill my mouth with the right words. And I learned to truly love my enemies and to pray for those who spitefully use me. It is much easier when they are not people who are continually in our lives. I can be thankful for my in-law now, even though he died without Christ.

Prior to that, In 1970, God had used him to bring me back to himself after backsliding. He showed me that if I said I loved God but hated my in-law, I was a liar. I knew I was lost. A lady at the Campus Crusade Bible study told me to thank God for him, and to ask God to love him through me. It was a whole new concept to me, but I did so in obedience. God immediately filled me with His Spirit and began leading me to walk in His Spirit again. Thanking God in all circumstances and asking Him to love people through me has become a motto to live by.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, unless I'm mistaken it seems to me that God didn't tell Jonah to give the Ninivites a ultimatum...... "change your ways or I'll get you" Unless I misread the book God told him to go tell the Ninivites that God was going to get them period........ Johah seemed to know that God would forgive them and God put him in a very bad light as far as Prophets go.

Jonah told them "Thus says the Lord" and it didn't happen. That usually resulted in the death of the prophet. So I can really kind of see Johah's side of the thing.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Actually, Jonah did not mention the Lord:

3:4 Then Jonah began to go through the city one day's walk ; and he cried out and said, "Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown."

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

What are your thoughts?

First, Jonah is mentioned by Jesus Christ and is referenced as the only sign to be given to the Scribes and Pharisees. (Matt. 12:38-40, Luke 11:30) It is IMO a depiction of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The death is depicted in Jonah being a sacrifice to save the other passengers aboard the ship he boarded running away from God. (Jonah 1:12) Jonah gave up his life for those on the ship. Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world. What an awesome Savior we have!

Matt. 12:38-40

38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”

39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 11:30

30 For as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so also the Son of Man will be to this generation.

Jonah 1:12

12 And he said to them, “Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will become calm for you. For I know that this great tempest is because of me.”

The burial IMO is symbolized in the three days and nights in the whale. Jesus laid down His life for humanity and was resurrected again after three days. Jonah was a sign to the Nineveh, proclaimed God’s judgment, and proclaimed God’s wrath. (Jonah 3:4) Yet Jesus was a sign to the world and proclaimed the Gospel. (John 3:36) Jesus proclaimed the mercy of God and nearness of God by asking people to repent as the Kingdom of Heaven was near. (Matthew 4:17)

Jonah 3:4

4 And Jonah began to enter the city on the first day’s walk. Then he cried out and said, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!”

John 3:36

36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Matthew 4:17

17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Second, IMO Jonah is an example of an unkind servant of God. In the end Jonah wanted to see God destroy Nineveh as they were a heathen people. Jonah didn’t believe that God was compassionate, merciful, and kind. God had shown mercy to Jonah. Yet Jonah was upset when God showed mercy to those living in Nineveh. (Jonah 4:1-3) I believe that this is true today of people who have legalistic tendencies and mishandle the Gospel. As Believers we all have a tendency to fall into this in some form or fashion in different seasons of our lives. Yet some people live to complain. These people are very set on pointing out the evils in others’ lives of homosexuality, adultery, divorce, and fornication but ignore their own sins such as gluttony, gossip, anger, legalism, pride, etc. Some forget that while you point one finger at others there's usually at least three (of your own fingers) pointed back at yourself. (Luke 6:42)

Jonah 4:1-3

1 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he became angry. 2 So he prayed to the Lord, and said, “Ah, Lord, was not this what I said when I was still in my country? Therefore I fled previously to Tarshish; for I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in loving kindness, One who relents from doing harm. 3 Therefore now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live!”

Luke 6:42

42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

What do you think?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  325
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1966

What are your thoughts?

First, Jonah is mentioned by Jesus Christ and is referenced as the only sign to be given to the Scribes and Pharisees. (Matt. 12:38-40, Luke 11:30) It is IMO a depiction of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The death is depicted in Jonah being a sacrifice to save the other passengers aboard the ship he boarded running away from God. (Jonah 1:12) Jonah gave up his life for those on the ship. Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world. What an awesome Savior we have!

Matt. 12:38-40

38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”

39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 11:30

30 For as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so also the Son of Man will be to this generation.

Jonah 1:12

12 And he said to them, “Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will become calm for you. For I know that this great tempest is because of me.”

The burial IMO is symbolized in the three days and nights in the whale. Jesus laid down His life for humanity and was resurrected again after three days. Jonah was a sign to the Nineveh, proclaimed God’s judgment, and proclaimed God’s wrath. (Jonah 3:4) Yet Jesus was a sign to the world and proclaimed the Gospel. (John 3:36) Jesus proclaimed the mercy of God and nearness of God by asking people to repent as the Kingdom of Heaven was near. (Matthew 4:17)

Jonah 3:4

4 And Jonah began to enter the city on the first day’s walk. Then he cried out and said, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!”

John 3:36

36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Matthew 4:17

17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Second, IMO Jonah is an example of an unkind servant of God. In the end Jonah wanted to see God destroy Nineveh as they were a heathen people. Jonah didn’t believe that God was compassionate, merciful, and kind. God had shown mercy to Jonah. Yet Jonah was upset when God showed mercy to those living in Nineveh. (Jonah 4:1-3) I believe that this is true today of people who have legalistic tendencies and mishandle the Gospel. As Believers we all have a tendency to fall into this in some form or fashion in different seasons of our lives. Yet some people live to complain. These people are very set on pointing out the evils in others’ lives of homosexuality, adultery, divorce, and fornication but ignore their own sins such as gluttony, gossip, anger, legalism, pride, etc. Some forget that while you point one finger at others there's usually at least three (of your own fingers) pointed back at yourself. (Luke 6:42)

1 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he became angry. 2 So he prayed to the Lord, and said, “Ah, Lord, was not this what I said when I was still in my country? Therefore I fled previously to Tarshish; for I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in loving kindness, One who relents from doing harm. 3 Therefore now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live!”

Luke 6:42

42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

What do you think?

God bless,

GE

Jonah did know that God was compassionate, merciful and kind as shown in Jonah 4:2 And he prayed unto the Lord, and said, I pray thee, O Lord, Was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Second, IMO Jonah is an example of an unkind servant of God. In the end Jonah wanted to see God destroy Nineveh as they were a heathen people. Jonah didn’t believe that God was compassionate, merciful, and kind. God had shown mercy to Jonah. Yet Jonah was upset when God showed mercy to those living in Nineveh. (Jonah 4:1-3)

God bless,

GE

Jonah did know that God was compassionate, merciful and kind as shown in Jonah 4:2 And he prayed unto the Lord, and said, I pray thee, O Lord, Was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.

Yes I quoted that passage of the text... Perhaps my choice of wording wasn't good - "Jonah didn't believe...". Sorry about that. Jonah IMO didn't want God to be compassionate, merciful, and kind to Nineveh - they were a heathen nation and people. Israel and her people were chosen so Jonah would have a sense of superiority going on here. All these traits of God (compassion, mercy, and kindness) Jonah lacked in his own character... So those were more like accusations against God. Sarcasm if you will. And Jonah IMO was also worried about his own reputation - after all a prophet that prophesied destruction that didn't come was seen as a failure/false prophet. Would you agree? Jonah was saying transliterated "See God, I knew You'd be compassionate, merciful, and kind. Why'd You make me come here from my country only to make me a liar? I'd rather die now."

God bless,

GE