IGNORED

What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Interesting thing happen to me today. I have been posting a lot a breastfeeding thread, and after speaking with someone about what happened today. I decided it would be best to post this in both threads.

I've spoken out very hard against women not using covers when breastfeeding. Well, today I took my kids on a trip for the day to the museum of life and science in Durham, NC.  When we where there, we were looking at a weather exhibit. Beside the exhibit was a small padded bench. When we walked in a went to the exhibit, my kids and nephew kept going around the exhibit. I noticed the first time I passed the woman she was holding a small child against herself. The child was about 18-24 months old. Maybe, just maybe 12-18 months. Anyways, as I passed the woman the first time she looked up at me and I just gave a quick smile and went back to watching my kids. 3 kids is a handful in a room full of people. Well, I said we went around the exhibit 3 times. The 3rd time around, I realized the woman was not holding the child. She was breastfeeding the child. I didn't see an inch of flesh. She was using no cover. I know my kids didn't notice because they would have said something, or asked me about it. Nobody noticed anything.

While I said in my posts many times, that breastfeeding was ok as long as it was done modestly. I was pretty harsh about using a cover. God reminded me today, that I don't know everything. I apologize to everyone for my words and attitude.

God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

If a woman can breast feed her child and not show any of the breast then so be it.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Interesting thing happen to me today. I have been posting a lot a breastfeeding thread, and after speaking with someone about what happened today. I decided it would be best to post this in both threads.

I've spoken out very hard against women not using covers when breastfeeding. Well, today I took my kids on a trip for the day to the museum of life and science in Durham, NC.  When we where there, we were looking at a weather exhibit. Beside the exhibit was a small padded bench. When we walked in a went to the exhibit, my kids and nephew kept going around the exhibit. I noticed the first time I passed the woman she was holding a small child against herself. The child was about 18-24 months old. Maybe, just maybe 12-18 months. Anyways, as I passed the woman the first time she looked up at me and I just gave a quick smile and went back to watching my kids. 3 kids is a handful in a room full of people. Well, I said we went around the exhibit 3 times. The 3rd time around, I realized the woman was not holding the child. She was breastfeeding the child. I didn't see an inch of flesh. She was using no cover. I know my kids didn't notice because they would have said something, or asked me about it. Nobody noticed anything.

While I said in my posts many times, that breastfeeding was ok as long as it was done modestly. I was pretty harsh about using a cover. God reminded me today, that I don't know everything. I apologize to everyone for my words and attitude.

God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

Are we all just playing semantic games?

If you couldn't see anything, then she was covered by something. Her shirt? Her baby? Her arms? If you can't see anything, they are covered.

This is baffling me. Clearly the people who oppose breastfeeding uncovered... define uncovered as "visible"?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

Oh wow.  Thank you Joseph for posting.  I SO appreciate your teachable spirit!

To clarify, people gain trust when they are transparent and I believe, honest, as you have been.  I appreciate the inner struggle you have presented.

God bless you also!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

To clarify, people gain trust when they are transparent and I believe, honest, as you have been.  I appreciate the inner struggle you have presented.

God bless you also!

Amen. I agree with Sevenseas. :)

Very interesting story Joseph... :thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If you couldn't see anything, then she was covered by something. Her shirt? Her baby? Her arms? If you can't see anything, they are covered.

This is baffling me. Clearly the people who oppose breastfeeding uncovered... define uncovered as "visible"?

When I think "cover", I think blanket or smock.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

God bless you also!

Amen. I agree with Sevenseas. :)

Very interesting story Joseph... :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing that Firestorm!  It goes to show that what we think we believe in theory, and what we discover in practice can often be very different.  It's easy to get bogged down by theoretical situations only to have all our well thought out plans and ideas blown out of the water by the reality.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Kind of a mixed position here.

These kinds of things were part of what kept stay at home moms at home. And I am not an advocate for locking away anyone (especially not mothers) from public view.

At at the same time I believe most perverts and adolescent males do not need the exposure tempting them (even in a covered situation it would be almost impossible not to take out the breast and put it back without it showing briefly.

My mother would go to the lobby during church service for example if the baby got hungry or fussy because of breast feeding and the crying baby). At home she did not cover but we didn't think anymore of her breast showing there than her elbow showing.

Another point is that covering / keeping out of view is a good social practice. One does not just go to the bathroom in public because it need to be done, they wait, seek a restroom or some private place in the bushes if away from "facilities." 

I do not equate breast feeding with going to the bathroom... only in that both require people to undress to do the deed.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

These kinds of things were part of what kept stay at home moms at home.

That only works if the husband does all the shopping and shuttling older children to their various activities. ;)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Kind of a mixed position here.

These kinds of things were part of what kept stay at home moms at home. And I am not an advocate for locking away anyone (especially not mothers) from public view.

At at the same time I believe most perverts and adolescent males do not need the exposure tempting them (even in a covered situation it would be almost impossible not to take out the breast and put it back without it showing briefly.

My mother would go to the lobby during church service for example if the baby got hungry or fussy because of breast feeding and the crying baby). At home she did not cover but we didn't think anymore of her breast showing there than her elbow showing.

Another point is that covering / keeping out of view is a good social practice. One does not just go to the bathroom in public because it need to be done, they wait, seek a restroom or some private place in the bushes if away from "facilities." 

I do not equate breast feeding with going to the bathroom... only in that both require people to undress to do the deed.

The comparison between going to the bathroom and breastfeeding is thought provoking!  Thank you for making it.

I think that while going to the bathroom in private seems like a question of modesty, because the thought of doing it in public is embarrassing (at least it is to me), I think that the reason is not moral but is rather based in health.  We, as many other mammals, are repelled by the sight and smell of the excrement of our own kind for reasons of preventing the production and spread of disease.  Human disease abounds in times and places where excrement is not put away and kept separate from food, bathing, and general day to day activities.  However, a look at the treatment of breasts across times and cultures show us that where breasts are traditionally not covered they are not seen as objects of sexual desire.  Rather such a study shows us that the parts of the body which are traditionally covered become objects of desire, while the parts of the body which are not traditionally covered hold no such special attraction or embarrassment.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

Her shirt was covering some, but also it was the way she had the child on her chest and the way she had positioned herself. Her arms were cradling the child which also helped hide any and everything. When I think of cover, I have always thought of a blanket or something like that covering them, where the child and the breast and all flesh are hidden or covered. Yes, before this I defined uncovered as visible.