Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  6

"There is no such thing as a Hebrew "translation."  There are translations of Hebrew into other languages, but there are no Hebrew translations of the Bible.  Hebrew is an orginal language, not a translation.

*facepalm* I meant "translations of Hebrew". Oy.

Sorry. I'm a bit sleep-deprived.  :P

How many seekers have we pushed away because they couldn't accept this claim of a young earth?

None.  Usually, Christianity is rejected on the grounds that evolution makes more sense.  Many atheists on this board who claim to have been Christians before cite evolution as a major enabler for their deconversion from Christianity.

Yeah. Because they couldn't accept the claim of a young earth.

Isn't this arguing in favor of my point? :huh:

Why would we want to place our faith in a possibility and not in the truth?   There are all kinds of possibilities, but that really isn't something you can anchor your heart to.   As Christians we should be after the truth.

As of yet, I have not met any single person who was actively and consciously seeking deception.  I don't know why anyone would want to.  

I was a YEC for decades.  I read the creationist books and websites and argued fervently in favor of a young earth. It was a "truth" I "anchored my heart to" (as you say).  So when that specific "truth" came under fire (again and again), my whole faith was shaken. Hard.

I took this to God in prayer.  I realized that this wasn't a salvation issue, and that my faith would survive without it.  So I let it go.  IMHO, it wasn't a hill to die on.

Maybe I still believe.  I don't know.  I'm on the fence.  And I might just stay here. I have a nice view of both sides. :cool:

Wow, I LOVE you already! (My wife wants to remind you in a biblical sense.). ;)

You are a much needed breath of fresh air (along with shar and nebula) on these science threads. I'm not surprised-you are all ladies without any testosterone hindering the work of the spirit.

Always a blessing to see your avatar and your name being posted,

Spock out

Guest shiloh357

How many seekers have we pushed away because they couldn't accept this claim of a young earth?

None.  Usually, Christianity is rejected on the grounds that evolution makes more sense.  Many atheists on this board who claim to have been Christians before cite evolution as a major enabler for their deconversion from Christianity.

Yeah. Because they couldn't accept the claim of a young earth.

Isn't this arguing in favor of my point? :huh:

Well, no.   Because they were not rejecting YEC in a vacuum.  If you could find someone not already pretty much convinced of an old earth, who had taken science classes in highschool and universities that teach OEC, Evolution, etc.  And present THAT person with the YEC, how would they respond?   I don't know if that question can be answered.

The reason that people cannot accept YEC is not because YEC on its own has no merit and is just too far out for anyone to believe.  It is because most people have already been convinced of the OE or evolutionary models already.   They are not blank slates looking at the YEC model for the first time without any preconceptions.   That makes a difference.

YEC has never made anyone an atheist.  YEC was rejected in favor of Evolution because to them Evolution is better and more reasonable.

Why would we want to place our faith in a possibility and not in the truth?   There are all kinds of possibilities, but that really isn't something you can anchor your heart to.   As Christians we should be after the truth.

As of yet, I have not met any single person who was actively and consciously seeking deception.  I don't know why anyone would want to.  

I was a YEC for decades.  I read the creationist books and websites and argued fervently in favor of a young earth. It was a "truth" I "anchored my heart to" (as you say).  So when that specific "truth" came under fire (again and again), my whole faith was shaken. Hard.

I took this to God in prayer.  I realized that this wasn't a salvation issue, and that my faith would survive without it.  So I let it go.  IMHO, it wasn't a hill to die on.

Maybe I still believe.  I don't know.  I'm on the fence.  And I might just stay here. I have a nice view of both sides. :cool:

I understand.  YEC is mocked and ridiculed, swore at.   It isn't easy.   I can imagine the prophets in the OT contemplating whether being rejected by the people and having to suffer reproach for their message was really kind of overrated.   

Just because something isn't a salvation issue, doesn't mean it isn't important.  We are called on sometimes to stand for something in God's word when it isn't popular and everyone else is telling you are crazy for standing on that part of Gods' word.  It is easier to let go and just roll with the crowd and get along. 

The problem that I would see in your above comments is this:   What's next?   What's the next part of God's word that you will let go of when it gets too hot in the kitchen?  Where do we stop? 

If we surrender  Genesis 1 to the world, they won't be satisfied.  They will demand more, until the whole Bible is nothing more than an irrelevant, man-made philosphy book and Jesus was just a great guy with some nice things to say, but not to be taken literally. 

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

The problem that I would see in your above comments is this:   What's next?   What's the next part of God's word that you will let go of when it gets too hot in the kitchen?  Where do we stop? 

If we surrender  Genesis 1 to the world, they won't be satisfied.  They will demand more, until the whole Bible is nothing more than an irrelevant, man-made philosphy book and Jesus was just a great guy with some nice things to say, but not to be taken literally. 

Here you go again...OEC does not surrender  Genesis 1 to the world.  You have had 20 different people tell you this in 100 different ways just since I joined this board and yet you still repeat what you know is a lie.   What is the matter with you?  :confused:

Guest shiloh357

Here you go again...OEC does not surrender  Genesis 1 to the world.  You have had 20 different people tell you this in 100 different ways just since I joined this board and yet you still repeat what you know is a lie.   What is the matter with you?  :confused:

Yes, and those 20 people are fundamentally in error.   OEC stems from the OE view that was based on a rejection of the six day creation account.  OEC is a compromise with scientific claims rooted in a philosophical claim that the earth is much older than the Bible seems to indicate.   I don't think OECer's are consciously or maliciously compromising, but they are simply unwilling or unable to see the huge problem in the OEC model particularly the fact that OEC is just a hair's breadth away from Evolution due to the fact that Evolution NEEDS an old earth to be viable.

The fact you disagree with us does not give you the right to openly lie about us. How does openly lying promote the Gospel?

Guest shiloh357

The fact you disagree with us does not give you the right to openly lie about us. How does openly lying promote the Gospel?

I am not lying.  I have not lied about you or anyone else.  My comments have stayed on the OEC model.  i have not questioned anyone's salvation or condemned anyone to hell.  The model is not rooted in faith, but in unbelief.  That is simple fact.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Whoa family. This is an absolutely amazing thread. Let's not mess that up with name calling and insults. C'mon guys - I've been gone from this place for a very long time. I'm back because of the wonderful interactions I've been seeing here lately. You guys are digging deeper into the Word. This is an interesting discourse sans the body slams.

Sheniy said "These discussions really push me to dig deeper into Scripture. Thanks for the inspiration, guys."

Now -  in the scheme of things, isn't that what it's all about? To inspire others to dig deeper, to run to that well for refreshment, to grow and mature?

Please. I'm learning here, and that won't continue if you don't put aside your flame torches.

:)

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I couldn't agree more, traveller! Nice to see you around. :)

Whoa family. This is an absolutely amazing thread. Let's not mess that up with name calling and insults. C'mon guys - I've been gone from this place for a very long time. I'm back because of the wonderful interactions I've been seeing here lately. You guys are digging deeper into the Word. This is an interesting discourse sans the body slams.

Sheniy said "These discussions really push me to dig deeper into Scripture. Thanks for the inspiration, guys."

Now -  in the scheme of things, isn't that what it's all about? To inspire others to dig deeper, to run to that well for refreshment, to grow and mature?

Please. I'm learning here, and that won't continue if you don't put aside your flame torches.

My apologizes, it is hard to sit back when someone is misrepresenting your views, but I will try and do better in the future.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,472
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

My apologizes, it is hard to sit back when someone is misrepresenting your views, but I will try and do better in the future.

That is a perfect answer as all is to come to a perfect unity in the bond of love :thumbsup:

I think one of the things that helps me in this twisting of others is motive is not established

only assumed... and ya know what they say about assumption! If what we hold is of God in our

hearts The Lord will not allow us to let it go but will confirm it in the fire of testing.

Welcome back Traveller! Love, Steven