• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone,

Wow,I did not expect so many different thoughts ......very interesting & most of them seem pretty pretty good but I don't think too much into it as God simply said(paraphrase) that if they did eat of it they would be as they are & I imagine He is referring to the Eternal Beings Himself as Father,Son & Holy Spirit as their Eternal state.......so I suppose because of their falling away from God in disobedience they lost that which would have been offered to all of mankind from Adam & Eve on ...........but because it was His intention for us from before the beginning He keeps it protected &  hidden & offers us His Grace to have access to it once again through our faith in Jesus.....and again even Jesus says the same thing"we will be as He is"

I guess in other words this has really been said................but as for the OP asking if there was a NEED for the tree.....no,I don't really think there is a NEED for anything except that God wants it that way......He could have made a fountain of water or whatever He pleases & if He could Breathe life into a man then He could just speak eternity into them......We NEED,I don't think there was A NEED...if you know what I mean.... :noidea:

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

The purpose of the Tree of Life was to get God into man.  The fruit of the tree of life was the literal embodiment of God's very eternal life and nature, Just as Jesus Himself was the literal embodiment of God's eternal life and nature.  Therefore, Jesus is actually the tree of life. When we received Him into our spirit we  became partakers of God's life and nature, thus fulfilling God's desire in Genesis.

Having said that how about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Amen

I thought it was ther to give us a choice. God wants a people who choose to love Him and obey Him out of love.

I totally agree with you. I also agree with what Ovedya said about the tree of life for scripture speaks much about the eating of the Word. What I was getting at is that there were two trees in the garden and therefore I believe them to be similar in type but of course different in nature/source.

'We can believe the truth and receive the gift of eternal life or we can believe the lie and be dammed by it'.

Considering the times we live in I believe mysteries no longer serve a purpose for if we are being prepared for the catching away there can be no more mysteries. For is that not the whole idea of the opening of the book?

Rev.10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

The most prominent question then is 'what is the voice of the seventh angel' after which the mysteries shall be finished.

I understand him to be the 'seventh' angel that was sent to the church of Laodicea. (Angel meaning a messenger sent from God)

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  6

In the garden?  I often wonder if there was no physical death prior to the fall, why was there a need for a tree of life?

Great question. Up until recently, I never even considered the implications of this tree. Now, I'm not so sure what to make of it.

There is a good discussion going on in the science thread over this, so maybe somebody will notice this and jump on board.

My two cents for now, but like I said, not very well thought out:

God put this tree there for life, physical life, so while they eat from it, they would continue to live. Note, I don't think living eternally in the body is the same as eternal life. The former, you could still die; the latter you can't.

God removed the tree from them which meant at some point, Adam would physically die.

What do you think?

Weaknesses?

Strengths?

Should I publish this commentary?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

In the garden?  I often wonder if there was no physical death prior to the fall, why was there a need for a tree of life?

Great question. Up until recently, I never even considered the implications of this tree. Now, I'm not so sure what to make of it.

There is a good discussion going on in the science thread over this, so maybe somebody will notice this and jump on board.

My two cents for now, but like I said, not very well thought out:

God put this tree there for life, physical life, so while they eat from it, they would continue to live. Note, I don't think living eternally in the body is the same as eternal life. The former, you could still die; the latter you can't.

God removed the tree from them which meant at some point, Adam would physically die.

What do you think?

Weaknesses?

Strengths?

Should I publish this commentary?

Looks like some of this discussion bled over to the OEC thread, but best belongs here. 

I agree.  The tree of life is mentioned several times.  Mostly in Ge. and Rev.  The fact that G-d told them that they were not to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil or they would surely die indicates that death was probably already formulated.  Had it been realized yet in nature, is another thought.  I agree the Tree of Life had some life-preserving properties, particularly for the human body.  This also appears evident from the references to the tree of life in Rev. 2:7, 22:2, 22:14.

Had Adam and Eve been initially created eternal is not really clear.  I know eternal life, as we call it, is not really referred to until Jesus - for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of G-d is eternal life through Jesus Christ our L-rd.  We see that the Old Testament believers went to Hades, where there was Paradise.  There was also Torments.  This has been illustrated by Jesus in the telling of the poor beggar, Lazarus and the rich man who died.  In addition, Jesus says to the thief on the cross - "this day you will be with me in Paradise."  It appears, after his work on the cross, he took Paradise with him, because it now appears in Heaven.  II Cor. 10:4, Rev. 2:7.  Maybe, with Jesus' death, they too now receive the gift of eternal life.  I cannot be absolute in determining if Adam and Eve were created eternal.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Wheezy,

Yes it does...Welcome to Worthy,God Bless you & Praise & Glory to God in the Highest!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

The tree in Genesis is the tree knowledge of good and evil Genesis 2

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” Up until the time that satan tricked Eve, they were sinless and I suppose in a way the tree was a test for Adam and Eve to see if they would obey God or choose to follow the deception of Satan. They were specifically told NOT to eat it yet succumbed to to Satan's seduction.

The tree in Revelation is a tree for the healing of the nations Revelation 22 is during the 1000 yr reign  of Jesus.

In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

The tree in Genesis is the tree knowledge of good and evil Genesis 2

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” Up until the time that satan tricked Eve, they were sinless and I suppose in a way the tree was a test for Adam and Eve to see if they would obey God or choose to follow the deception of Satan. They were specifically told NOT to eat it yet succumbed to to Satan's seduction.

The tree in Revelation is a tree for the healing of the nations Revelation 22 is during the 1000 yr reign  of Jesus.

In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

There is a Tree of Life in Genesis that is apart from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,350
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The purpose of the Tree of Life was to get God into man.  The fruit of the tree of life was the literal embodiment of God's very eternal life and nature, Just as Jesus Himself was the literal embodiment of God's eternal life and nature.  Therefore, Jesus is actually the tree of life. When we received Him into our spirit we  became partakers of God's life and nature, thus fulfilling God's desire in Genesis.

Having said that how about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Amen

A little bit different. Although I could not say that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was the literal embodiment of Satan, or of evil, the produce of such condemned mankind to the fall, to indwelling sin, to spiritual death, disease, physical decay, etc.

This was an excellent answer with care! As this verse is before us in reasoning

Gen 3:22

22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good

and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life,

and eat, and live for ever:

KJV

Love, Steven

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Maybe the Tree of Life is what warded off death for them? Thus, eating the TotKG&E meant they could no longer eat of the Tree of Life, and that is why they "died"?

I mean, it really doesn't say that their bodies could not die, we just assume that based on other things. But who is to say we got that correct?

Of course, I am just throwing some guesses out there.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,350
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is in the Image of God that we know intent of life without death... The everlasting also

would be upheld in the image! Love, Steven