• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Looking,

May I ask you a personal question?And I will tell you why I ask...........& I am being completely honest in what I am going to share with you................

I have red lot of your posts & it seems that you do believe in Almighty God & that He sent His only Begotten Son Christ Jesus.....I do think you are a Christian(am I correct?)And you admit that you don't believe(or are searching)many accounts as they are given in the Word to be true,,,,,,,please correct any wrong assumptions I may have.....

Okay ,here's my experience(a brief testimony giving God Glory)I was once alot like you in I needed to rationalize many things in Gods Word for MYSELF....it did not make sense,Christ was  my Lord & Savior but I had many reservations & constantly tried to discount or discredit the Bible..................the truth of it was that I wanted to be my own God & live life on my terms.....that was the real reasoning & motives behind my "looking for answers"

So,my question is,what is yours?You already gave me the one about seeking the truth,,,,but why do you want there to be untruths....in other words,if any of Gods Word is not true,whats in it for you? I told you what was in it for me& it took alot to see my "truth",,,,,,,,is that a fair question?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

I

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Content Count:  56,093
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

There is no date of birth for Enoch, only Cain's age.

Oops...wrong guy...but in any event there is still no date...just the age of his father

Well,  I don't have the month or day of his birth, but he was born 622 years after Adam.  He was 308 years old when Adam died, and he lived 365 years and God took him.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

You could determine the year within a error margin of plus or minus 5 years

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Do your own research and look up the names in Genesis 5, they do not all mean what is claimed in your opening post.  Meanings had to be either added or twisted to get to where they make that statement.

This looked like a challenge! :D

1. Adam (Hebrew Edom)

Meaning: man, mankind, "ruddy (skin)"

2. Seth (Hebrew Sheth)

Meaning: Compensation

Although in Gen 4:25, it looks like his name is a variation of the word shiyth, which means appoint or set

3. Enosh (hebrew 'Enowsh)

Meaning: Man

From similar word meaning mortal man, mankind

4. Kenan (hebrew Qeynan)

Meaning: possession

From another word meaning nest...not sure how they got sorrow out of this :huh:

5. Mahalalel (hebrew Mahalal'el)

Meaning: boast/praise of God

Also: mouthful (just kidding )

6. Jared (hebrew Yered)

Meaning: descent

from the word yared meaning to go down

7. Enoch (Hebrew Chanack)

Meaning: dedicated

from the word chanak meaning to train, dedicate

8. Methuselah (hebrew Mĕthuwshelach)

Meaning: Man of the dart  ???

9. Lamech (Hebrew Lemek)

Meaning: Powerful

10: Noah (Hebrew Noach)

Meaning: rest

Hmm. I really thought this was true.  It's close, but not quite.  Anyone else have any input?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Content Count:  56,093
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you start with Adam and put all the births deaths laid out on a spread sheet, you can get a fairly round figure.

Since one can't be sure exactly how many months added to each year for the births, then you are correct in that it could be off 364 days for each generation. You could be off a plus, but I don't know about the minus part. 

With 800 to 900 year life cycles, I would not think that would be a huge thing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

Do your own research and look up the names in Genesis 5, they do not all mean what is claimed in your opening post.  Meanings had to be either added or twisted to get to where they make that statement.

1. Adam (Hebrew Edom)

2. Seth (Hebrew Sheth)

Although in Gen 4:25, it looks like his name is a variation of the word shiyth, which means appoint or set

4. Kenan (hebrew Qeynan)

6. Jared (hebrew Yered)

9. Lamech (Hebrew Lemek)

Hmm. I really thought this was true.  It's close, but not quite.  Anyone else have any input?

================================================================================

The names and their meanings are CORRECT in the slide they weren't added or twisted.

Shiloh Confirmed them. :)

On to Numbers 2 ....did ya "Get It" yet?

If you start with Adam and put all the births deaths laid out on a spread sheet, you can get a fairly round figure.

Since one can't be sure exactly how many months added to each year for the births, then you are correct in that it could be off 364 days for each generation. You could be off a plus, but I don't know about the minus part. 

With 800 to 900 year life cycles, I would not think that would be a huge thing.

You are correct, there is no minus, force of habit from my job.  It is not a huge thing unless one is trying to prove a particular year to try and make some cosmic connection.

1. Adam (Hebrew Edom)

2. Seth (Hebrew Sheth)

4. Kenan (hebrew Qeynan)

6. Jared (hebrew Yered)

9. Lamech (Hebrew Lemek)

What was your source?  We agree on Kenan, but this one only gives dedicated for Enoch

http://www.behindthename.com/name/enoch

1. Adam (Hebrew Edom)

2. Seth (Hebrew Sheth)

4. Kenan (hebrew Qeynan)

6. Jared (hebrew Yered)

9. Lamech (Hebrew Lemek)

================================================================================

The names and their meanings are CORRECT in the slide they weren't added or twisted.

Shiloh Confirmed them. :)

On to Numbers 2 ....did ya "Get It" yet?

Then Shiloh is wrong, Kenan means possession, maybe.  It does not mean sorrow by any stretch.

Lamech means "to make low", nothing about sorrow.

I have already explained Numbers 2 to you, what about a "round about" or a "circuit" do you not understand? 

Let me help you out a bit...

The Lord said to Moses and Aaron: “The Israelites are to camp around the tent of meeting some distance from it, each of them under their standard and holding the banners of their family.”

The word translated as around is sabib, which means a circuit, or round about.  Nothing about a cross in there at all. 

Cardinal Directions are on a compass, and a compass is round.  

In Numbers 2, the Cardinal Directions are assigned to 4 tribes, the other tribes are NEXT to those tribes, they have no direction assigned to them.  They are not behind the 4, they are NEXT to them. 

A straight reading of Numbers 2 would never lead anyone to think to themselves "yea, he is talking about a cross".  That is an artificial reading added to fit a feeble attempt to make some cosmic connection.

Blessings Looking,

May I ask you a personal question?And I will tell you why I ask...........& I am being completely honest in what I am going to share with you................

I have red lot of your posts & it seems that you do believe in Almighty God & that He sent His only Begotten Son Christ Jesus.....I do think you are a Christian(am I correct?)And you admit that you don't believe(or are searching)many accounts as they are given in the Word to be true,,,,,,,please correct any wrong assumptions I may have.....

Okay ,here's my experience(a brief testimony giving God Glory)I was once alot like you in I needed to rationalize many things in Gods Word for MYSELF....it did not make sense,Christ was  my Lord & Savior but I had many reservations & constantly tried to discount or discredit the Bible..................the truth of it was that I wanted to be my own God & live life on my terms.....that was the real reasoning & motives behind my "looking for answers"

So,my question is,what is yours?You already gave me the one about seeking the truth,,,,but why do you want there to be untruths....in other words,if any of Gods Word is not true,whats in it for you? I told you what was in it for me& it took alot to see my "truth",,,,,,,,is that a fair question?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

I

Kwik,

Thank you for asking, I hope it is ok but I am going to address your question and the statement from Enoch above.

Let me start by saying that I do not have a problem with God's word and I would never seek to discredit or discount the Bible. Without the Bible we have nothing, we do not know of Jesus, we do not have salvation.  And yes, I am a Christian, despite the seeker label assigned to me here.

I have no issue with God, my hangup right now is with Christians.  I can relate to Ghandi when he said "“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”.  And I fully admit my experiences are limited to me and my location, but they were so consistent for years that I have a hard time not projecting them onto all Christians.   I have seen the Bible used as a club to bludgeon people into the right "shape" to fit in with those wielding it.

My issue is not with the Bible it is with what to me is a maddening inconsistency in how it is interpreted.   Let me give you a couple of example from the last day or so. I have been told that in this one verse the first half clearly means God used words and the second half is clearly figurative....By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.  To me that is so inconsistent, I view the whole thing as figurative, which to me makes a whole lot more sense.  Then I am told that phrases like "His ears are open" "the Lord regretted" "spread out His wings" and many more are figurative but the phrase "and God said" is clearly not.  It makes my head want to explode.  Pick and side and stick to it.

Then I have the different person tell me all that is needed is to be like a  child to understand the Bible and then they turn around and tell me there is a hidden code that only some guy with a PHD in mathematics was able to figure out.  So, which is it?  Pick a side and stick to it.  Is that too much to ask?

And what angers me the most is when I disagree with human's views of the Bible I am accused of not loving the Lord or having an issue with His word or I have my very faith questioned.  When that happens I go into defensive mode and lash back.  I know it is wrong, but I am only human and I am working on it.  If you think I say some things I should not you should see the things that I erase before hitting "post".  All I am asking for a fair and honest exchange of information.  I am very open to new things, I have changed my views on things almost monthly lately.  But put me down or question my very faith and you could tell me the sky is blue and snow is white and I will out of habit argue with you.

So yes, I am looking for answers, but not answers about God, but about us.