niki23

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, blessings to all! I would like to point out that the bible does not indicate that there will be a single antichrist, but a spirit of antichrist which is already present in the world, and will be present until the end of the world. We are not looking for any one man. 

1 John 2:18 - Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1 John 4:3 - And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2 John 1:7 - For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Well, there is the "spirit of antichrist" that has been active for a long time, that's true.  But depending on your interpretation of Daniel and Revelation, there will be a real Antichrist who will set himself up against God's people during the Tribulation.  Eschatology is not a primary doctrine, so people of good faith can agree to disagree on the fine points.  I point this out only because there are some rabid defenders of certain eschatological positions here and if you aren't careful, their wrath will be flying at you. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Well, there is the "spirit of antichrist" that has been active for a long time, that's true.  But depending on your interpretation of Daniel and Revelation, there will be a real Antichrist who will set himself up against God's people during the Tribulation.  Eschatology is not a primary doctrine, so people of good faith can agree to disagree on the fine points.  I point this out only because there are some rabid defenders of certain eschatological positions here and if you aren't careful, their wrath will be flying at you. 

Just like your gym instructor when you fail to complete twenty push-ups!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

lol. Oy vey.

Just like your gym instructor when you fail to complete twenty push-ups!

:laugh:

Gym instructor? Pfft! Try a Drill Instructor in basic military training . . . :whistling:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, there is the "spirit of antichrist" that has been active for a long time, that's true. But depending on your interpretation of Daniel and Revelation, there will be a real Antichrist who will set himself up against God's people during the Tribulation. Eschatology is not a primary doctrine, so people of good faith can agree to disagree on the fine points. I point this out only because there are some rabid defenders of certain eschatological positions here and if you aren't careful, their wrath will be flying at you.

internet rath is not something to fear as long as you don't loose your temper along with them... actually sometimes it can be intertaining.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,143
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  1

While there have been a multitude of antichrists, them exhibiting the spirit of Antichrist, there is only one "the" Antichrist.

Them John was speaking to already had heard that Antichrist (singular) shall come, a single person.    In contrast to what they had already heard about, John contrasted that there were are many antichrists (as opposed to the one person) who exhibited the spirit of Antichrist, who shall come.

1John 2:18 - Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

The litte horn, the prince who shall come, the man of sin, the beast are all code names for the Antichrist, just as Jesus is the Prince of peace, the righteous branch, the suffering servant.

Edited by douggg

Thanks for the warning. I certainly don't want to invoke too much wrath. ;) With so many people from so many denominations and schools of thought, we're bound to have disagreements, but I just enjoy discussing the scriptures and their meaning. It's always a challenge for me and gives me the opportunity to sharpen my knowledge of God, and hopefully does the same for others. As for my part, I intend to keep wrath out of it, and should any be hurled my way I'll try to counter it with cute pictures of kittens or something...

internet rath is not something to fear as long as you don't loose your temper along with them... actually sometimes it can be intertaining.

I agree. :P 

Edited by ARose88

While there have been a multitude of antichrists, them exhibiting the spirit of Antichrist, there is only one "the" Antichrist.

Them John was speaking to already had heard that Antichrist (singular) shall come, a single person.    In contrast to what they had already heard about, John contrasted that there were are many antichrists (as opposed to the one person) who exhibited the spirit of Antichrist, who shall come.

1John 2:18 - Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

The litte horn, the prince who shall come, the man of sin, the beast are all code names for the Antichrist, just as Jesus is the Prince of peace, the righteous branch, the suffering servant.

Hey Douggg, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It is very common in scripture for singular context to sometimes refer to a body of people. This is especially true for the church, which is referred to as the "body" the "bride" the "lady", etc. In the book of Daniel a single statue is used to represent several nations. I don't believe there is a contrast in those scriptures that refers to many antichrists and one antichrist, I believe John is saying "You heard that antichrist was supposed to come, I'm telling you he's here now!" In Revelation, especially, the language is spiritual and figurative. A little horn can refer to many people, just as, again, back in Daniel, horns on a beast are used to refer to nations.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,143
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  1

Hey Douggg, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It is very common in scripture for singular context to sometimes refer to a body of people. This is especially true for the church, which is referred to as the "body" the "bride" the "lady", etc. In the book of Daniel a single statue is used to represent several nations. I don't believe there is a contrast in those scriptures that refers to many antichrists and one antichrist, I believe John is saying "You heard that antichrist was supposed to come, I'm telling you he's here now!" In Revelation, especially, the language is spiritual and figurative. A little horn can refer to many people, just as, again, back in Daniel, horns on a beast are used to refer to nations.

Hi Arose, the comparison is to the one with many.

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Actually John is talking about them who departed Christianity.   Likening them to the Antichrist.     As they we exhibiting the spirit of Antichrist.

The Antichrist is one person, the "another" that Jesus told Nicodemus that they the Jews would unfortunately temporarily embrace as "the" messiah.  

"the" messiah, in context of its true meaning means the special King of Israel, son of David, anointed that God promised to send to lead Israel and the world into what we would call the messianic age of peace and harmony.     The Anti-messiah, or Antichrist, is the person who the Jews will embrace as their king instead of Jesus, who they rejected, as Jesus told Nicodemus they would.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why would you think the little horn is anything but one person?   The Antichrist goes through 4 stages of his career (for lack of a better word).    His rise, then his fall.

1. the little horn politician of Daniel 7 and 8

2. the prince who shall come, illicit perceived King of Israel, son of David, anointed (messiah) of Daniel 9.

3. the revealed man of sin, son of perdition, of 2Thessalonians2

4. the antichrist-beast of Revelation.

Edited by douggg