• Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

from Time:

Before Noah: Myths of the Flood Are Far Older Than the Bible

"Aronofsky, an atheist, has no interest in defending his film’s scriptural authenticity. Indeed, the director has described Noah as 'the least biblical film ever made' and thinks of its chief protagonist in secular terms as the world’s 'first environmentalist.' Noah is as much a parable for the modern threat of climate change as it is an Old Testament morality play ...

"The story of Noah may be part of the Abrahamic canon, but the legend of the Great Flood almost certainly has pre-biblical origins, rooted in the ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia. The Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh dates back nearly 5,000 years and is thought to be perhaps the oldest written tale on the planet. In it, there is an account of the great sage Utnapishtim, who is warned of an imminent flood to be unleashed by wrathful gods. He builds a vast circular-shaped boat, reinforced with tar and pitch, that carries his relatives, grains and animals. After enduring days of storms, Utnapishtim, like Noah in Genesis, releases a bird in search of dry land ..."

http://time.com/44631/noah-christians-flood-aronofsky/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+timeblogs%2Flooking_around+(TIME%3A+Looking+Around)

Despite his claims to being an atheist, I think Director Aronofsky acts more like a Gaia worshipping pagan who has gutted Noah of any biblical meaning -- much the same way it was gutted of pagan polytheism in the Old Testament -- and then turned into an environmentalist parable under the guise of secularism.

IMO, Aronofsky did to Noah what we Christians have done to Saturnalia and Ishtar, now known as Christmas and Easter. Someday I suspect that Aronofsky -- or some other self-professed pseudo-atheist -- will make "new age" films about the Nativity and Resurrection in an attempt to turn all of Western civilization back to paganism as well.

Guest DRS81

They might disagree with me, but it is still complete and utter nonsense.  I can't be dumbed down enough to believe in that trash.   But I guess if you believe there alien space stations on the moon, you can be led to believe anything.

Well we do all have our own ideas.....   might I share one of mine.....    you might learn a lot from this book....

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

Galatians 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. ;)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/30/1994

I haven't seen the film yet, however, my brother has. He says that on the boat Noah considered killing his whole family to end the "curse" of human existence. Why the heck would he build the boat in the first place if it was just so he could murder his family?

My brother also says that the movie makes up a bunch of horse poop when it comes to story. Stuff about fallen angels, stone statues, Cain's descendants representing all evil. Seth's descendant's representing good. The man who made this movie may have very well been taking the same drugs that those who invented Greek Mythology took long ago.

Edited by OneLight
Using the terminology of Battle Star Galatica in swearing in not acceptable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Why the heck would he build the fracking boat in the first place if it was just so he could murder his family?

Because the movie doesnt see man as worth saving. It is all about the environment. About saving the earth. Not man.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Well. I went and watched it. What I got out of it:

1. God is evil.

2. Women are morally superior to men.

3. Fallen angels are good and will be recieved back into heaven.

4. Black people, Asians and Latin peoples don't exist.

5. Animals are innocent.

6. Lamech was murdered by Tubalcain.

7. It only took 10 years to build the ark.

8. Ham was about 18 when the flood began

The list goes on. It was much worse than just about any errant doctrine I have heard in local churches. The ones who are most impressionable are those who struggle with reading and trust they are getting something out of a multimillion dollar film. I know one such person that I had the opportunity to talk with afterward. It amazes me the number of people I meet who cannot read and rely upon others to teach them orally.

My final impression of the film was that it will most likely do a good deal of damage to many who see it who do not possess any real understanding of the bible. A work of confusion.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Let's stick to the topic of the film and stop the judging of how anyone sees how anyone else replies.  Debate the topic, not the person.

Please follow through with the ToS when it says:

Abuse of other posters is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, insulting, harassing, threatening or in any way invading the privacy of another poster. We also strongly discourage giving out personal information such as email addresses, physical addresses and phone numbers on the public boards. Any information given out in private is at your own discretion and risk. (Eph. 4: 29)

Debate the subject, not the person. It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating. Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person. Respect each other in the love of God! This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down, and even deleted! Users that cannot respect others will be banned. (Lev. 19:18)

If anyone feels strongly about a subject that is different than the one being discussed, they should start their own thread about the matter, having it's own topic matter open for discussion. Do not hijack a thread with personal feelings or insights.

Thank you, One Light.  I am learning and I do apologize for what amounts to, "hijacking" this thread.  I will not do it again, and in the future if I feel I have something to say, I will begin a new thread on that specific topic.

Peace to you and God bless you!

My apologies,

PrairWarur

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Quoting Time again: “Aronofsky, an atheist, has no interest in defending his film’s scriptural authenticity. Indeed, the director has described Noah as “the least biblical film ever made” and thinks of its chief protagonist in secular terms as the world’s “first environmentalist.”

And gdmoss take upon seeing it, this stood out: “1. God is evil.”

What more do we need to know???

What Shiloh has mentioned here is true for the majority of the Christian people as well as the unsaved I have spoken too when they go to see a un"biblical movie" as this one.... Things like "great movie!" A pastor that mentioned to me "Son of God is great! I'm telling folks to go see it!" Very disturbing...

The danger of biblically based movies that pervert and distort the actual biblical account is that when people read the Bible, those movies often serve as a filter through which they read the Bible.  They end up interpreting the Bible through the movies instead of judging the movies by the Bible.

They don't lead people to turn to the Bible to seek God.  Rather, they cause people to evaluate the Bible's claims in light of the philosophy put forth in the movie.   When they read the account of the flood, they are not seeing Noah, they are seeing Russel Crowe's depiction of Noah.  They are not seeing the true reason for the flood or God's redeptive attributes in the flood account.   They also miss the significance of the covenant God made with Noah.  

For anyone to even pretend that this movie has any evangelistic value in the least, is patently absurd.   Same goes for the Son of God movie, as wellBoth of movies are theological trainwrecks, but unfortunately, many Christians are sucked naively into the lie that these portrayals don't have to be accurate in order to get the main message across.

"For anyone to even pretend that this movie has any evangelistic value in the least, is patently absurd."

Which is why once in a while I'll stand outside of the exit of a movie like this passing out more than a few Gospel Tracts that do have a short message that pertains to the to the "real" Gospel. Looking to engage a few folks too along the way pointing them back to the real God of the Bible. :)

((( Believer! )))  Great idea!  Might be something for us to think about doing ourselves.  Takes some serious dedication to do this and I thank you!

Peace to you and God bless you,

Prair

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I was going to hide this thread, but decided to lock it so that others can see an example of how a thread can end up dividing. There are 6 hidden posts on this page alone...