Taker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

If you only look at one verse on any subject, you will not get an appreciative understanding.  

A simple, yet extremely important question. Can violence, in any form, be justified from a biblical perspective?

As of now, I am leaning toward no, in reference to Jesus' direct words to peter. "Put away your sword," Jesus told him. "Those who use the sword will die by the sword." (Matthew 26:52 New Living Translation (NLT)).

Please consider this question from all angles, from a potential 1 on 1 fight with a bully to a world war.

Happy chatter!

That one verse you quote does not actually consider your question from all angles.  Lady C in post 4 goes into that in some detail so I won't

I am not a violent person at all, but if someone were to try and harm a child or even an animal in front of me, they would have to deal with me first.

Really.

IMO, those who state we should do nothing at all times would be the first to demand someone do something should they be present at the scene of true violence such as

the killing of school children by one psychopath with a gun.

Really?  We all just stand by and watch while the murdering goes on?

Have people who propose do nothing stood by and done nothing because if that is so, then I question your morals.  Really

There is a time to turn the other cheek but isn't there also a time to do something if you can?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Unfortunately there are many who believe violence can be justified. I think they stretch the scriptures.

I feel some americans put the US constitution above the bible on this issue.

How so? I just listed scripturally appropriate examples? How am I stretching it?

@ Lady yes I made a typo I type faster then I think sometimes thankyoy lol.

Guest LadyC

Love always protects.... I enjoy peace and tranquility. I do not like violence... I don't even like punishing my loved ones. But as a Child of God...there is a rage....that comes to the front if there is a threat to my loved ones. I will do what I have to do to protect my loved ones and my peace and tranquility. The difference between a child of satan and a Child of God, we don't take pleasure in violence and doing violence to the innocent. But we're not afraid to use violence on the guilty scum that wish harm on our families.

i think that's about the best response i've seen. you're absolutely correct. christians do not take pleasure in violence. it doesn't mean that God expects us to be pacifists at all costs. in fact, that would be contrary to scripture.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Unfortunately there are many who believe violence can be justified. I think they stretch the scriptures.

If you were to walk through the park and saw a couple teenage boys in process of raping a child, would you not do whatever you could to save the child, even if it meant using violence?

Guest LadyC

after you answer nebula's question, would you please answer one for me?

if you arrived at your parents home in time to see someone brutally assaulting your mother, what would you do?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1994

Wow! You guys have changed my mind about violence whole-heatedly. I've always WANTED to believe that violence could be justified if it was for the purpose of protecting peace. Now I have reasons that can be traced back to scripture.

Patriot, thank you for sharing John 2:15. I think it might be my new all time favorite verse.

Also, because the lord has blessed me with an interest in weapons, warfare, and history, I now realize that it's okay to enjoy thinking and philosophizing about these things (which I do all the time). Thank you all very much for your insight.

To anyone else who isn't convinced that violence can be justified from a biblical perspective, start reading the book of Joshua. I just started reading it and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite books of all time!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Love always protects.... I enjoy peace and tranquility. I do not like violence... I don't even like punishing my loved ones. But as a Child of God...there is a rage....that comes to the front if there is a threat to my loved ones. I will do what I have to do to protect my loved ones and my peace and tranquility. The difference between a child of satan and a Child of God, we don't take pleasure in violence and doing violence to the innocent. But we're not afraid to use violence on the guilty scum that wish harm on our families.

Matthew 13:49-50 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

we can do whatever violent acts we want to the wicked and the guilty. Throwing them into a burning furnace is an option.

I'm with you up until your last line.  No, my friend, we CANNOT do whatever violence we want to those we deem wicked and guilty.  That would require us to be perfect and able to judge another's heart.....only ONE can do those things, only ONE sits in judgment of mankind and it isn't you or me. 

morning is right. We need to love the wicked to bring them to Christ, keep in mind we have all sinned-we were all wicked at one point. Like has been stated violence is not something a Christian should seek out or even want-but there are times when it is appropriate and we should be ready when the time comes and wise enough to discern when its appropriate and when it is not-wisdom is the better part of valor.

Guest LadyC

wow, i had totally missed that last line. i was too enamored with the line that christians don't take PLEASURE in violence. i need to go edit out that part in my quote.

and Taker, i think you misunderstood something. nobody, even scripture, advocates violence for the sake of protecting "peace". protecting your family, or the innocent, or the defenseless, from senseless harm at the hands of someone who IS taking pleasure in violence is a whole different thing than "peace-keeping", which is something that can be twisted and used to suit anyone's agenda. think holocaust. hitler and company were slaughtering millions of innocent people, an entire race of people, in the name of "peace-keeping", although it was the "peace-keepers" doing all the vioence.

right lady, a lot has been said in the name of peace. Protecting the innocent yes, peace not necessarily-Hitler wanted to kill the jews, but many protected the jews via various methods including sneaking them out of harms way, and yes, even violence. But a Christian should not seek it out nor take pleasure in it. That is what seperates us from them-violent men take pleasure in violence, and use violence to get what they want-just men, only use violence as a last resort and do not take pleasure in it. There is a huge difference between being willing to use violence when necessary-and wanting to use it.